PDA

View Full Version : Wright's Lake

fishwrong2
10-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Took the kids to Wright's Lake for a couple hours. Spent more time working out tangles than fish, as they're still learning the whole casting thing, but did get a couple dink planter rainbows.

I was surprised to see some fish in the inlet channel. Very tough to fish them due to the tight quarters but there was some surface activity, and we scared the crap out of several that bolted past. Some stealth and patience might prove interesting back there.

Swung by Ice House on the way back. Lake is way down past the end of the ramp. Launching might be possible with a couple of rigs and creativity, but not my idea of fun. Might agitate the Forest Service rules too, so I'd check that before getting any wild ideas.

Didn't fish Ice House, but there was a fair bit of surface activity, and this time of year is normally prime time. Would bet someone with a pocket full of Kastmasters willing to walk some shoreline could have a good day.

Not much of a fishing report, but a fine afternoon in the mountains. The 4 year old can now hit the water with about 4 out of 5 casts, so we called it a win.

mchrisk72
10-20-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm going to take my pontoon boat to ice house tomorrow. It will be my first time there so we'll see what happens

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sgottlie
10-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Camped there over summer. Pretty lake with lots of access to Desolation back country, but very shallow with action only in inlet and outlet area. Stood up in middle lake, atop a couple inches of goose poop.

fishwrong2
10-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Camped there over summer. Pretty lake with lots of access to Desolation back country, but very shallow with action only in inlet and outlet area. Stood up in middle lake, atop a couple inches of goose poop.

It's definitely more of a flooded meadow than a traditional reservoir. Some interesting history in the area. Unfortunately with the proximity to Sac and the Bay Area it gets more angling pressure than it can handle for much other than stockers, but there are a few interesting elements to it.

A lot of small but pretty options in surrounding creeks, and lakes if you want to hike. Get off-trail for the better ones.