PDA

View Full Version : Pre-weighed Crab snare lead mold

StrongAddiction
10-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Hello looking the lead mold that's used to make those professional looking pre-weighed crab snares that are for sale at the pro-shops.
Can someone point me in the right
Direction. Would like to purchase
The mould and find a how to video or text tutorial. Thankyou

Jetspray
10-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Not sure of what you want a mold for the weights or the entire trap? Here is a place I looked......Jetspray

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pre-weighted+Crab+snare+lead+mold&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju5oui3qneAhXbFTQIHUfmBJAQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1520&bih=735&dpr=1.25

StrongAddiction
10-29-2018, 06:31 AM
JetSpray ty for the comeback had hard time wording my question. Looking for the lead casting mold
That you fill with melted lead then place bottom bottom of snare in until lead cools and re solidifies just deep enough to form around floor of snare
5 oz. Of lead. I know there's other options but wanted too get my geek on.

Jetspray
10-29-2018, 02:12 PM
That is more specific, I am sure your could probably fabricate something to do that or use a metal box on a block of wood. I had an uncle who made his own weights from lead counter weights taken from tires, back in the day.....Jetspray

StrongAddiction
10-31-2018, 06:08 AM
Yes I think your rite JetSpray. Little
Research enginuety trial n error I should be able too come up with
Something very efficient. I bought a snare that had large 1inch x 1/2 inch rectangle
16 guage hardware cloth. It had an
Inner cage made of 1/4 inch square
Very pliable wire mesh. Great snare
Not going too feed the crabs too much bait savor. She lost it in the rocks last year couldn't find another
One like it. So I'm starting my proto-type. YouTube has good vids
For diy outer cage directions. On your own inner cage. I put my first one together yesterday and it turned out super nice very happy with it. Took it apart and recreated muliple patterns for both inner and outer cages and cut out hardware cloth to size and shape stringing them up comes last
Anyways blah blah. I think I'll just stick a coin weight in the cage and bait on top for now.
Be well.. SA.

CDK
10-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Why not two coin weights? Drill a center hole . Put one in and one out. Use a nut and bolt to clamp them together on the mesh.

StrongAddiction
10-31-2018, 06:27 AM
Yes I think your rite JetSpray. Little
Research enginuety trial n error I should be able too come up with
Something very efficient. I bought a snare that had large 1inch x 1/2 inch rectangle
16 guage hardware cloth. It had an
Inner cage made of 1/4 inch square
Very pliable wire mesh. Great snare
Not going too feed the crabs too much bait savor. She lost it in the rocks last year couldn't find another
One like it. So I'm starting my proto-type. YouTube has good vids
For diy outer cage directions. On your own inner cage. I put my first one together yesterday and it turned out super nice very happy with it. Took it apart and recreated muliple patterns for both inner and outer cages and cut out hardware cloth to size and shape stringing them up comes last
Anyways blah blah. I think I'll just stick a coin weight in the cage and bait on top for now.
Be well.. SA.

StrongAddiction
10-31-2018, 06:33 AM
CDK. That's a good idea as well I will explore that one too for sure will make a few of those incorporate into
A proto-type. TY for the idea.
Be well. SA.

StrongAddiction
10-31-2018, 06:36 AM
CDK. That's a good idea as well I will explore that one too for sure will make a few of those incorporate into
A proto-type. TY for the idea.
Be well. SA.
I also like your idea because it may allow for weight adjustment if needed.

Jetspray
10-31-2018, 05:29 PM
I also like your idea because it may allow for weight adjustment if needed.You can change things up if you carry the right tools too, do so when you are out. I always carry extra tools in any of my gear that I take along......Jetspray

StrongAddiction
10-31-2018, 07:28 PM
I went to harbor freight today to get
My organizational needs taken care
Of. Small tool box w top tray keep snare building tools in portable. I built
A bucket live well self contained and portable I'm set up this year.

DBoardfox
11-01-2018, 09:13 AM
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/d/crab-snares-for-sale/6737816550.html Looks simple enough to make.

StrongAddiction
11-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Just looked at that Crab snare on
CL. I've bought similar snares like that with the large 16 guage hardware cloth 1" x 1/2" rectangle
And went through the bait fast.
This year I'm making the same snare
But building an secondary inside cage out of 1/4" square very thin pliable hardware cloth. I have a few also has a second internal hatch door. I've made a few proto-type that I haven't triaged yet. And too tell you the truth I think they're gonna work so much better. They are definitely a huge labor of love. I've had a few good ideas on how to weight them from other people. I think I'll just continue with the Duo-Cross lock and 5oz. Pyramid sinker at the opposite side of mainline. Im trying to eliminate the dangly pyramid that could interfere with loops. I'm just picky no big deal really. Happy snaring everyone. ;-)
I'm just copying a snare desighn I saw in the pro-shop

DBoardfox
11-02-2018, 07:17 AM
If you are trying to avoid the dangling weight just put the weight inside the cage with the bait.

StrongAddiction
11-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Sure. I think a flatish coin weight
Will work well for that. Lots of ideas.
Or maybe a flat lead plate that slips in and out nicely. Getting my mad DIY scientist fix on. Cool thanks for the idea.