PDA

View Full Version : Need help crabbing

NorCalNative
11-04-2018, 12:11 PM
As my post history states, I'm fairly new to die hard fishing. Use to fish a lot in my twenties out of an aluminum small boat in the bay - now I have an 18 footer and want to go hit the ocean.

I have a week off of work to go for crabs or anything else really to fill the freezer, but I'd like to at least get a few days of some crabbing.

Anyone else have some pots and some time - but maybe missing the boat?

Seon
11-04-2018, 01:13 PM
What type boat is your 18'-er? Hopefully not a low gunnel like a bass boat. Ocean can get rough fast so those type of boat loaded with crab gear do not do well out there. Also you may need a Davit if you drop deep. Just some thought. Best of luck.

NorCalNative
11-04-2018, 02:02 PM
What type boat is your 18'-er? Hopefully not a low gunnel like a bass boat. Ocean can get rough fast so those type of boat loaded with crab gear do not do well out there. Also you may need a Davit if you drop deep. Just some thought. Best of luck.

Thanks for looking out. It is a larson bowrider - not the best fishing boat but better equipped for the ocean than a bass boat lol. In another post I mentioned trying to get past the gate in it when the swells were bad and I didn't chance it - so it's a fair weather ocean boat I would reckon.

I suppose without a davit and with such a small boat - I'd be limited in # of pots and depth - but shouldn't stop me.

Seon
11-04-2018, 03:18 PM
SOLD

If you're interested in some pots I have three Danielson 24" squares all rigged with about 180' shots, 15# weights and have been modified with correct cords so all you'll need are 3 buoys. $40/each.

KERPOW
11-04-2018, 05:32 PM
If you're interested in some pots I have three Danielson 24" squares all rigged with about 180' shots, 15# weights and have been modified with correct cords so all you'll need are 3 buoys. $40/each.If you don't get a taker, I'll take them. I'm at Oxbow Marina. Making the trip to Bodega Bay on Wednesday.

Best wishes for fishes.
KERPOW!

NorCalNative
11-04-2018, 10:37 PM
If you're interested in some pots I have three Danielson 24" squares all rigged with about 180' shots, 15# weights and have been modified with correct cords so all you'll need are 3 buoys. $40/each.

Thanks for the offer - I ended up getting some tonight before I saw your post lol.

NorCalNative
11-05-2018, 08:35 AM
I didn't go out today due to a small craft advisory - I am thinking that's smart. I was going to go out of HMB.

Would it have been bad today? I am still learning how to read the swell reports. I'm a pilot so I can read weather data but I'm not sure how to interpret it yet for the seas.

Elsancho
11-05-2018, 02:02 PM
I didn't go out today due to a small craft advisory - I am thinking that's smart. I was going to go out of HMB.

Would it have been bad today? I am still learning how to read the swell reports. I'm a pilot so I can read weather data but I'm not sure how to interpret it yet for the seas.rule of thumb for the ocean on a 20ft boat is. Add the wind+swell, if it's 20 or less it's doable. Over 20 stay home. Good luck

Seon
11-05-2018, 03:20 PM
[CENTER]rule of thumb for the ocean on a 20ft boat is. Add the wind+swell, if it's 20 or less it's doable. Over 20 stay home. Good luck

Include the swell duration. If they're square or near square then I don't go.
i.e. 6' swells 6-7seconds duration = no go. Also, I don't go if the wind is 10 mph with gust at 15 or more mph.

916fisher
11-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Include the swell duration. If they're square or near square then I don't go.
i.e. 6' swells 6-7seconds duration = no go. Also, I don't go if the wind is 10 mph with gust at 15 or more mph.

Also I donít go out the gate on any E wind. One December I got my ass kicked going to get my pots inside N bouy. It was only 10 mph E and it was ugly. 15 -25 NW and you can usually make it around the corner and stay inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalNative
11-06-2018, 11:43 AM
So tomorrow would be OK to go?

Wind NW 4 mph

WNW 5.5 ft @ 12 sec
SSW 1.1 ft @ 13 sec

Seon
11-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Based on what you wrote, Wx looks good. Best of luck.