PDA

View Full Version : Bodega crab opener

brokea--boater
11-05-2018, 07:52 PM
This year I had it planned to miss all the BS at the opening day chaos at the ramp that comes each year, splashed the Valhalla after midnight at westside. Motored out in total darkness using the new forward mounted LED's, they are bright. Slept in Saturday morning, had a nice breakfast and left the dock about 1030am. First pot was raided and someone ran over the second one, a guy came over and reported it to us that he witnessed them cut my line from his prop, lost that one. Ended up with 34 nice size crab, some jumbos in the mix out of the remaining 4 pots. Picked the gear up and moved them far outside. Sunday it was a little to nautical to pull them, decided to let'em soak. Going to tomorrow to pull them. Decent opener considering the mishaps. Eating fresh crab sitting around a camp fire has to be the best way to enjoy those suckers, damn they were sweet,,,gregg

KERPOW
11-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm launching BB on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll avoid the some of the weather you guy saw, and the pirates since it's mid-week.

Best wishes for fishes.
KERPOW!

brokea--boater
11-07-2018, 08:07 AM
I stopped boiling whole a couple years ago, this year I bought a 20 gallon steamer for steaming cleaned crab. Also made this crab cutter to speed up cleaning. Split, shake, pull the half shell off, rinse. We have it dailed now.