PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Fish

westmore
11-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Do you bleed the trout you keep? Is there a difference in quality in the meat?

Troutbead
11-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Yes and yes.

okie
11-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Do you bleed the trout you keep? Is there a difference in quality in the meat?

the friends i give my fish to all say it tastes better than when i dont bleed them.
be safe

hooks
11-11-2018, 09:37 AM
Bleed them before they die.

Waterdog
11-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Bleed em, gut em and ice em. Do it immediately upon catching them. It greatly improves quality and taste. Also while playing a fish is great fun the quicker you reel them in and apply the above procedures the better. If you fight a fish very long lactic acid builds up in the fish and can greatly affect both taste and quality. Not killing them immediately also builds up lactic acid.

Jetspray
11-11-2018, 11:16 AM
To me I have done both, the most important thing is to gut them as soon as possible and if you can put them on ice. Rigor sets in pretty quick and you need to beat that to the punch. I am fortunate to have a "live well" in my boat but it only sustains them a little bit, ice is the preference. I cannot keep all of the fish I catch no room and against the rules anyway....Jetspray

stefanoflo
11-11-2018, 04:17 PM
I always bleed my trout . Small and large . anything around 8-15 Inches get a what I call a neck snap. Pull on the Upper Mouth and Pull hard . Kills them fast , Bleeds them and Keeps them from suffocating . I then clean them before I leave the river . anything Over . I just Whack em over the head with a rock , Pull Out the Gills and Clean them before I leave the River . It is More Humane that way . Than leaving them In your creel flopping around wanting water for there Gills . or Suffocation. and leaving them on a Stringer is Like a Mind **** , They think there free and are going to live

...........................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:c howtime:

joe_m
11-12-2018, 08:17 AM
I not only bleed them but also gut them and put them on Ice with no water. I use my live well for this purpose. guts go overboard,,,trout,kokanee and river salmon is what I fish for

dilbeck
11-13-2018, 01:34 AM
I fish from a kayak and normally just tow them around on a stringer alive as I don't have an icechest to put them in. Guess I'll try bleeding them and just drag 'em around dead, lol. See if they taste any better.

Jetspray
11-13-2018, 05:22 PM
I fish from a kayak and normally just tow them around on a stringer alive as I don't have an icechest to put them in. Guess I'll try bleeding them and just drag 'em around dead, lol. See if they taste any better.Not to hijack what you said but I watched some protesters today who were protesting about climate change and an oil pipeline, the funny thing was they were kayaking around at the protest with synthetic clothing on in plastic kayak's, where do all of them think that stuff came from, as a matter of fact how do they think that stuff got to the store in the first place. What morons...….Jetspray