PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Buddies!

Mikfish
11-14-2018, 09:58 PM
First I want to say that because of Fish sniffer and this very board, I have met two awesome fishing buddies that I fish with as much as we are able to. From tournaments to just guys dropping lines and shooting the bull. Those two guys I speak of are Stan (Chartreuse Moose) and Gary (Garyarl).

Back in September, Stan lost his house due to the Delta fire north of Redding, not only his home, but everything on his property, including his boat that was reduced to a puddle of aluminum! I have had many memories on that boat, but more importantly, Stan escaped that fire, although with just the clothes on his back and a few items.. he is alive today thanks to his brother for waking him up from a nap on the couch. Fortunately his wife was out of town on this day. As Stan exited his home, he looked up to see a massive wall of fire heading towards him and his home. Stan lost everything! After telling him how sorry I was, his reply was "eh, it's just stuff, were alive!" Stan is now in the process of rebuilding his home and looking to purchase a new boat.

Fast forward to the Camp fire. Gary and his wife recently sold their home in Marysville, and purchased a beautiful home in Paradise... Yeah, you know where this is going. They had just moved in and had only been there a few days. All of their furnishings and most of their belongings were there already. I came to realize early on, that Gary is one who is "early to bed and early to rise. Well, that's a good thing because last thursday morning, he was awake to see a huge fire racing up the canyon toward his house. He immediately knew he had to act. He got his wife in the car and told her to GO! Gary stayed behind to see what he should try to take with him, but realized he didn't have time as the fire had already reached his home. Gary and his wife made it out and are alive today after a harrowing trip down the skyway. Many people as you know weren't as lucky. Fortunately his boat and fishing gear was still parked in Marysville. Although he did lose his Gregor and brand new motor. After making sure him and his wife were ok, I then told him how sorry I was that he lost his home and belongings. His reply was "eh, it's just stuff, were alive" or something remarkably close to that. Sounds familiar.. where did I hear that? Gary will rebuild on his property in Paradise!

So, the only two close fishing buddies I have on this planet, are alive and well and I am so very thankful for that!
The next time you go out fishing with your buddies, tell them (in your own way) how much they mean to you! Because life is short and good friends are hard to come by!

Tight lines everyone!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jetspray
11-15-2018, 04:46 AM
A fine display of intelligent thought filled explanation of those that love the same things we do Mike. I pray for Stan and Gary and everyone affected by these devastating fires. It is a sad thing for everyone. God Bless......Jetspray

Seon
11-15-2018, 05:27 AM
So, the only two close fishing buddies I have on this planet, are alive and well and I am so very thankful for that!

Tight lines everyone!

Mike

Thank god Stan and Gary along with their family are safe.

I lost my dear friend and fishing buddy some 5 -6 yrs ago and often think of him whether working in the yard and especially when fishing. White Cap aka Al Curry always said that we were brothers from different mothers. We met thru a hitch hiker post he submitted on Fish Sniffer and we gelled the on the time we fished and that lasted over 5 years.

33413 Still miss him today.

Mikfish
11-15-2018, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=Seon;1159298]Thank god Stan and Gray along with their family are safe.

I lost my dear friend and fishing buddy some 5 -6 yrs ago and often think of him whether working in the yard and especially when fishing. White Cap aka Al Curry always said that we were brothers from different mothers. We met thru a hitch hiker post he submitted on Fish Sniffer and we gelled the on the time we fished and that lasted over 5 years.

Sorry to hear that Seon! Thanks for sharing! 5 priceless years! I'm sure his nickname "White Cap" was well earned!

Mike

salmonid
11-15-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm glad those fellows got out safely. They have a great attitude.

fishwrong2
11-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Very thoughtful words. I share the sentiment as well.

Koke Machine83
11-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks for Sharing!!! Very Nice write up!!! I also have met many of my close fishing friends here on these boards. Robbie

Waterdog
11-15-2018, 01:08 PM
A very touching post Mikfish. Made me happy your friends made it out alive but at the same time sad for their loss.
i think you form a special bond with good friends you fish and hunt with. That time spent together fishing or hunting gives the opportunity to really get to know each other and strengthen a friendship.
Last year I lost my best friend and fishing and hunting partner of 40 years to cancer. We had so many good times and made so many memories. We were like brothers (from different mothers). Over that time we spent thousands of hours together pursuing our outdoor activities.
Im not hunting much now, just isnít the same without Frank. I still fish but again itís not quite the joy that it was when we fished together.
So cherish those times you spend fishing and hunting with those special friends. You just donít know what tomorrow might bring.

PMR#9
11-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Each person we meet on the water is a fishing buddy .

Mikfish
11-15-2018, 06:20 PM
A very touching post Mikfish. Made me happy your friends made it out alive but at the same time sad for their loss.
i think you form a special bond with good friends you fish and hunt with. That time spent together fishing or hunting gives the opportunity to really get to know each other and strengthen a friendship.
Last year I lost my best friend and fishing and hunting partner of 40 years to cancer. We had so many good times and made so many memories. We were like brothers (from different mothers). Over that time we spent thousands of hours together pursuing our outdoor activities.
Im not hunting much now, just isnít the same without Frank. I still fish but again itís not quite the joy that it was when we fished together.
So cherish those times you spend fishing and hunting with those special friends. You just donít know what tomorrow might bring.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Waterdog! You're right, we spend long hours on the water with friends and you cannot help but build a strong relationship with them.

Mike