PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot Ruined???? Invasive Fish Illegal Fish Dump

GoneCountry
11-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Saw this and its just Heart Wrenching
A woman releasing Live Tilapia into the lake

http://www.ktvu.com/news/woman-faces-possible-jail-time-for-freeing-tilapia-into-lake-chabot

BigUnInDaBoat
11-29-2018, 10:22 AM
well considering all the fish in there are already non-native, and there are some MONSTER bass in there, I'm hoping it won't be much of an issue. I heard it was less than a dozen fish? I fished that place a lot as a kid.

Jetspray
11-29-2018, 10:51 AM
I hope it will not destroy the lake, but as was said there are many things in that lake that do not belong there. So many years of people dumping fish from home aquariums and such......Jetspray

Waterdog
11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Thatís very sad. When I was young growing up in Oakland I use to fish lake Chabot often. Caught some big bass, trout and crappie there, a few catfish too. Second biggest largemouth I ever caught was caught there my fist time using a popper. I didnít even know you could buy live tilapia in California. Live tilapia should be illegal and banned as should many other non native species. Hope we have a cold winter and it kills them.

Legalbeagle
11-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Funny stuff. Aside from Rainbows and Salmon, pretty much all gamefish in Ca are non-native :chuncky:. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/Non-Native_Fish_Species/

TahoeJeff1
11-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Funny stuff. Aside from Rainbows and Salmon, pretty much all gamefish in Ca are non-native

Don't forget Cutts and Goldens!

Jfitalia
11-29-2018, 05:50 PM
People have been catching tilapia from that lake for over a year.

Waterdog
11-29-2018, 06:26 PM
The point isnít that @#*&$#** tilapia are a non native species the point is that a large population of them could devastate the fishery and ecosystem. The lakes and streams in California have plenty of nonnative species swimming in them but for the most part they coexist fairly successfully. A large population of invasive species like tilapia and several others could destroy the bass fishery, or catfish fishery or other fish populations in Chabot.. They can change the ecosystem such that few other species can survive in that lake.

DOG
11-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Not sure if the new fish could possibly do anymore damage than the overpopulation of cormerants that currently live there now. These birds have grown in numbers over the years and most of the stocked trout end up as bird food anyway. This lake used to be great, but poor management has turned it into what is is today. Not good.:mad::mad:

stefanoflo
11-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Throw in some stripers
That will solve the problem!!!!!!!
they can clean it up as they grow!!!!!!!!!!

BigUnInDaBoat
11-30-2018, 08:45 AM
"could destroy the bass fishery, or catfish fishery"

yea that'll never happen, if anything it will be the other way around.

twack
11-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Waaahaaahaaa. Did anyone really look at the list? There is one fish that really made me laugh. Can you find it?

Funny stuff. Aside from Rainbows and Salmon, pretty much all gamefish in Ca are non-native :chuncky:. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/Non-Native_Fish_Species/

firetrout
11-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Saw this and its just Heart Wrenching
A woman releasing Live Tilapia into the lake

http://www.ktvu.com/news/woman-faces-possible-jail-time-for-freeing-tilapia-into-lake-chabot

The sad thing is that I'll bet she gets off with maybe a slap on her wrist.
The D.A. will put that on the bottom priority in his court cases.:embarassed:

Waterdog
11-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Again itís not about non native itís about an ďinvasive ď species. Wouldnít it be great to cast into some great looking structure for lmb and reel in one of those beautiful tilcrapia. Oh yeh looking forward to that.

TahoeJeff1
11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Waaahaaahaaa. Did anyone really look at the list? There is one fish that really made me laugh. Can you find it?

Knock, Knock.
Who is it?
Candygram!

Legalbeagle
11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
I think Tilapia would be a great addition to a lot of inner city lakes and ponds (if they can survive the cold winters). I'd rather see someone scooping Tilapia into a bucket than LMB's off their spawn beds.

Legalbeagle
11-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Knock, Knock.
Who is it?
Candygram!

Landshark. I wonder if that site's been hacked. There goes my credibility :drunk:.