PDA

View Full Version : Scent on Lures

westmore
12-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Is scent better than no scent?

twack
12-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Is scent better than no scent?

It makes sense to use scents since it only costs a few cents. Haha!

Seriously, I have trolled two of the same lures at closely the same depths and caught more fish on the scented lure.

P.S. Plus it will keep you from scratching your nose.

panther
12-04-2018, 11:04 AM
I have gotten to the point where I always use scent on my lures. I can't prove it, but I think I do a little better using scent than not using it. People who use scents have their favorites; mine is anise...and I like the product called Trout Feast made by Smelly Jelly.

Seon
12-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Scented lure will almost have a better catch ratio but not always http://finaddicts.us/smf/forums/Smileys/popos/undecided.gif .

stefanoflo
12-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Try having a Lure . make it own scent without putting it on
Good Luck and yes It Helps .can`t hurt . Granted most trout eat out of sight than smell but It can`t hurt
Make sure it is water based, after a while it will stick and then its not the smell you want or what The fish even want to come close too.

Owlman2
12-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.

Mikfish
12-04-2018, 04:45 PM
I know it doesn't deter them. That's all I need to know. I always glob a little on the hook especially to get them to commit.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
I'm a pro-cure fanboy, love that stuff!

CDK
12-04-2018, 05:49 PM
I bought some of that bait wax. I Think It might help with wash off.I really like Pro Cure on bait.
J m. 00.02

Jetspray
12-04-2018, 05:51 PM
I use scent dispensers that are clear and easily opened to pour in more, it kind of keeps most of the gunk off the lure but dispenses a wider scent pattern as you troll. I also have a couple of 10 lb Dr weights that are shark shaped with drilled out centers and a wick to put the liquid into the water, the nose has a brass nut to let you pour more in. There are a variety of dispensers out there to use, and use scent that works for the species you are targeting......Jetspray

Jetspray
12-04-2018, 06:28 PM
I bought some of that bait wax. I Think It might help with wash off.I really like Pro Cure on bait.
J m. 00.02
Soak in dawn soap, it works wonders......Jetspray

Waterdog
12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Fish find and identify food several different ways. They include sight, movement, vibration/water disturbance, smell. Fish actually have very good sence of smell. When bait fishing fish find and are attracted to the bait almost entirely by smell. Think of fishing for trout with powerbait or striper fishing with a chunk of sardine, or catfishing with stink bait, in every case itís scent or smell that attracts the fish. So does scent attract fish? Of course it does.
How much does scent on lures make a difference as far as catching or not catching? No one knows. But it is reasonable to accept that you will attract and catch more fish with lures that are scented than arenít because we know that scent/smell is one of the things that attracts fish.
I figure that scent can only increase the odds of catching. Like finding the right lure though you also have to find the right scent that the fish are interested in that day. So when fish arenít biting I change lures, colors and scents til I find the right combination.
So yes scent works we just donít know if it makes a big difference, a little difference or perhaps on some days no difference.
One last thing, scent leaves a residue on lures and over time it will become rancid. Once rancid it will more than likely repell fish rather than attract them. I find that the best way to wash away the residue is with Dawn unscented dish soap and water. When I get home from fishing I drop the lures I used in a small bucket with a little water and Dawn and leave them there overnight. Thoroughly clean and rinse them off the next day and you are good to go.

Jetspray
12-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Ahhhh WD another Dawn admirer it figures. I use discard type plastic containers. Some lures are tougher than others to clean and an old toothbrush with vibration works best, they are not too expensive at Walmart. As far as scent, I have found they more or less have a smell/taste mixed together and their lateral lines are the vibration pick up. For me more shine always attracts, the more flash the more cash, but it is worth it......Jetspray

stefanoflo
12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
well hell,, if I`m reading that some think it works and Others don`t ,then maybe go fish for catfish on a Lure . you will have a batter chance at getting cats to bite at stink than a trout will unless its sugar bases scent and they love sugar . recall the Old Corn thing on a hook and Velveeta cheese , both had a touch of sweetness in it so maybe Scent does work . didi we forget on how Garlic catches fish especially Trout and we all know about having garlic breath after eating it.
its not just for Vampires ya Know!!! :banana2::banana2::banana2:

Jetspray
12-04-2018, 10:54 PM
Difference with catfish is that their whole bodies are covered with smell receptors, kind of an unfair choice. Most of them mash their food with strong jaws too......Jetspray

Folsomtroller22
12-05-2018, 06:57 AM
Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.

Excellent summation. Couldn't agree more.

MtnFisher
12-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Thinking one could trim and glue a small strip of a kitchen sponge (new) to a trout plug and soak it with scent. The sponge piece would have to be small so as not to impede the lure's action.

Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Snowtrout
12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Like Owlman said, if you believe adding scent works, you're right. If you believe adding scent doesn't work, you're right.

I'll add a different perspective than what's been said. For me, I am more concerned about possibly putting an offensive scent on my lures than masking it with a liquid, gel or wax. Gasoline, oil, grease, sunscreen, tobacco, etc, are scents that I believe can turn fish off if on a lure. That's why I always try and make sure my hands are clean before touching my lures. Yes, I have tried scents and found no difference in success. All it did was leave my lures and boat greasy, prompting a wash with Dawn soap.

Also, since a lure creates a reaction response by fish, I believe a fishes vision and lateral line (vibration) play a bigger role in provoking that response to the lure than scent.

Waterdog
12-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Thinking one could trim and glue a small strip of a kitchen sponge (new) to a trout plug and soak it with scent. The sponge piece would have to be small so as not to impede the lure's action.

Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes. I don’t as much do it on smaller trout lures but I do on some and also on my larger striper lures. I use two ways. Sometimes I take a tiny piece of velcro that has adhesive on the back. Doesn’t matter if it’s the hook side or other side. The adhesive doesn’t break down in the water. Cut a tiny piece , stick it on the back of the lure and put a little scent on it. When done at the end of the day you can peel it off and replace it next time.
Another way is to tie a little piece or two of yarn on to the back hook and put scent on the yarn. I use red, yellow and or purple. I think it acts like an attractant in addition to the scent. It’s kind of like a worm trailer or a hula skirt. You can use 3 or 4 pieces of yarn if you like.

Jetspray
12-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Look fellas they don't have to be large and you don't put it on your bait.....Jetspray

https://www.anglerwesttv.com/oregontacklescentchamber.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWjr_MGrcs

twack
12-05-2018, 07:01 PM
A friend of mine had a crazy uncle that lived in a van down by the river. He always fished with two rods and the same type and color of lure on each rod. He'd scent his lures by licking one and peeing on the other. Unfortunately he also drank a lot of beer. As the day wore on, he'd get buzzed and forget which one ....

Well, you can guess the rest. :-)

stefanoflo
12-05-2018, 09:44 PM
A friend of mine had a crazy uncle that lived in a van down by the river. He always fished with two rods and the same type and color of lure on each rod. He'd scent his lures by licking one and peeing on the other. Unfortunately he also drank a lot of beer. As the day wore on, he'd get buzzed and forget which one ....

Well, you can guess the rest. :-)

You did say CRAZY Right?? Thats Either Crazy stupid or Just Crazy Good!!!!. But Crazy for sure!

Jetspray
12-06-2018, 09:23 AM
You did say CRAZY Right?? Thats Either Crazy stupid or Just Crazy Good!!!!. But Crazy for sure!I think there is a little of that in all of us. You never know even if you know, it's what you don't know which is not known:wallbash::star8qo::star8qo::star8qo::star8qo ::star8qo::inviz6pf:......Jetspray

stefanoflo
12-06-2018, 10:12 AM
I think there is a little of that in all of us. You never know even if you know, it's what you don't know which is not known:wallbash::star8qo::star8qo::star8qo::star8qo ::star8qo::inviz6pf:......Jetspray

Love the Philosophy.