PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River

SteelHunter
12-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Do we have a lot of Yuba River trouters on this board?

I fished the Yuba, the last two weekends and let me say...WHAT in the hell did I wait so long. I was able to catch a couple trout each outing and for their size these guys put up a great fight on UL gear. I am not sure why I haven't fished the Yuba more. I was down river from the Hwy-20 bridge.

It was a lot of fun and not too many people on the river.

Please share some of your experiences. I would love to hear more about the Yuba and your catches.

Fish On!
SH

SteelHunter
12-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I tried to upload a photo but it keeps saying upload failed.

Stickman
12-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Hey, thanks for the post SteelHunter. I did not know that the Yuba is open to fishing this time of year, but your post prompted me to actually read the DFW regs and "from the mouth to the HWY 20 bridge" is in fact open all year. Only artificial lures with barb-less hooks are allowed, but what fun it would be to get on some trout in the winter when most all of the mountain streams are closed until April! I have even traveled to Bishop - on more than one occasion - in the cold weather months to fish the Owen's River Gorge just to get a "stream" fix in while waiting for opening day. I really appreciate the huge amount of information members like yourself post on the "Sniffer" boards. Thank you again for taking the time to share.

SteelHunter
12-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Hey Stickman,

yeah like you said...it is open all year long (from the mouth to the Hwy 20 bridge).

a great river. I'm going to give it more of my attention now.

If you get out there this winter, let us know how you did.

Tight lines,
SH

Mauldin
12-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Didn't you say you were "downstream" of the HWY 20 bridge? That doesn't fall between the mouth and the bridge. What did I miss?

SteelHunter
12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Didn't you say you were "downstream" of the HWY 20 bridge? That doesn't fall between the mouth and the bridge. What did I miss?

yes. downstream means below the Hwy-20 bridge. The river is open from the Mouth To the Hwy-20 bridge. I was downriver from the bridge and thus in the Open section.

above the bridge would be Upstream from the bridge. I hope that helps

MtnFisher
12-20-2018, 12:56 PM
With more rivers going artificial lure, barbless hook only and more folks practicing C&R alot of rivers have better quality trout fishing nowadays.

Some big lunkers lurking in there for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Datster_2000
12-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Last I fished the Yuba was with one of my friends with my Father. That was about 45 years ago and I have very fond memories. At that time we used little red worms dug out of the compost pile. Those worms really caught the trout. :calm:

gbslade
12-21-2018, 08:38 AM
The Yuba is a Steelhead water. You need a Steelhead card in addition to your fishing license. Regs say date and location code must be filled in before you start fishing.

SteelHunter
12-21-2018, 12:25 PM
that was covered too, my friend. I'm an old school steelhead angler for many years.

But thanks for informing others that might not know...this website is so helpful.

Tight lines,
SH