PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley & Stumpy Meadows Bank Fishing?

yell0wshirt
12-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Has anyone ever had success fishing from the banks of either Stumpy Meadows or Union Valley Reservoir? Heading up tomorrow since most lakes up in Tahoe are frozen over and I've never ice fished before and I don't own a drill....so I definitely don't want to be dump and die....anyways, any help or advice would be appreciated.

If I can't make it to these two spots, I'll probably go hike to the back of Icehouse and maybe hit up Jenkinson Lake on the way back. Had great success at Jenkinson a few weeks ago with Thomas Buoyants. I'll post anything I catch the next couple of days.

Thank you for all the help!

CDK
12-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Stumpy Meadows would be ok to get to. About The same el as Jenkinsen. It has it's days. Hot and cold.

dsa2780
12-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Has anyone ever had success fishing from the banks of either Stumpy Meadows or Union Valley Reservoir? Heading up tomorrow since most lakes up in Tahoe are frozen over and I've never ice fished before and I don't own a drill....so I definitely don't want to be dump and die....anyways, any help or advice would be appreciated.

If I can't make it to these two spots, I'll probably go hike to the back of Icehouse and maybe hit up Jenkinson Lake on the way back. Had great success at Jenkinson a few weeks ago with Thomas Buoyants. I'll post anything I catch the next couple of days.

Thank you for all the help!

Anything of size at Jenkinson?

I know a dude who stuck a 13lb mack throwing a jig there in winter a few years back.

yell0wshirt
12-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Anything of size at Jenkinson?

I know a dude who stuck a 13lb mack throwing a jig there in winter a few years back.

Largest fish I got was about 15"-16" pound and a half or so. Just fishing Thomas Buoyants fairly deep along the shoreline. most times I was doing a 15 second count down in the areas with steep cliffs since the water drops right off. Water is really cold obviously, but there's fish to be caught here. Unfortunately, the back end of the lake is closed off, which is interesting, since there wasn't any snow up there yet.

If I get anything at Stumpy or Union tomorrow, I'll post up.

Thanks for the help!

Owlman2
12-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Stumpy Meadows can be productive from the bank, but unless you fish on or near the dam, it is kind of a pain as depending on water level the bank tends to be steep and muddy.

I have done very well in the past at Union Valley from the dam....I think they dump the truck trout right near the dam.

Mr. Striper
12-28-2018, 07:31 PM
How would access be at this time of year?

yell0wshirt
12-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Stumpy Meadows can be productive from the bank, but unless you fish on or near the dam, it is kind of a pain as depending on water level the bank tends to be steep and muddy.

I have done very well in the past at Union Valley from the dam....I think they dump the truck trout right near the dam.

Went up yesterday and hit up a lot of lakes. Went to Stumpy first. Water is extremely low right now and it's quite shallow by the dam and spillway. Couldn't get anything out that far. No one was on the lake (no boats either). No success.

I've been wanting to go to Hell Hole Reservoir for a long time and had no idea the turn off to get there was a few miles up. I got about 1/3rd of the way there, but then the road was covered in a lot of burned, dead trees. I moved one, but then kept running in to them on the road, so I turned around. Looks like I'll be waiting until Spring to get there.

Tried getting to ice house reservoir after up the pass, but since it isn't maintained, I had to turn around since I don't have 4WD. Went to Union Valley next. It was getting quite windy near the shore. I fished the bank and spillway area. No luck with powerbait and thomas buoyants. Saw three other people fishing the other side of the dam with no luck. Two boats on the water as well.

Went to ice house reservoir, but didn't fish since the dam area had a lot of fisherman. The side roads are iced over as well so I can't get to the back of the reservoir anymore unless I want to huff it for a few hours. Careful on the road. On ice house road, there were two 4WD vehicles that flipped over from the black ice on the pavement (they weren't even off-roading).

Went to Jenkinson lake on the way home. No fish, but the back of the lake was insanely packed with boat fishers and shore fishers.

Definitely not the greatest day, but not the worst. I'll head back up during the week when I normally do. There's no people on these lakes during the week and I like it like that. The snow really makes me want to invest in a 4WD truck like I used to and trade in my city car. I miss getting back to these hard to get to lakes.

Thanks for all help people!

dsa2780
12-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Went up yesterday and hit up a lot of lakes. Went to Stumpy first. Water is extremely low right now and it's quite shallow by the dam and spillway. Couldn't get anything out that far. No one was on the lake (no boats either). No success.

I've been wanting to go to Hell Hole Reservoir for a long time and had no idea the turn off to get there was a few miles up. I got about 1/3rd of the way there, but then the road was covered in a lot of burned, dead trees. I moved one, but then kept running in to them on the road, so I turned around. Looks like I'll be waiting until Spring to get there.

Tried getting to ice house reservoir after up the pass, but since it isn't maintained, I had to turn around since I don't have 4WD. Went to Union Valley next. It was getting quite windy near the shore. I fished the bank and spillway area. No luck with powerbait and thomas buoyants. Saw three other people fishing the other side of the dam with no luck. Two boats on the water as well.

Went to ice house reservoir, but didn't fish since the dam area had a lot of fisherman. The side roads are iced over as well so I can't get to the back of the reservoir anymore unless I want to huff it for a few hours. Careful on the road. On ice house road, there were two 4WD vehicles that flipped over from the black ice on the pavement (they weren't even off-roading).

Went to Jenkinson lake on the way home. No fish, but the back of the lake was insanely packed with boat fishers and shore fishers.

Definitely not the greatest day, but not the worst. I'll head back up during the week when I normally do. There's no people on these lakes during the week and I like it like that. The snow really makes me want to invest in a 4WD truck like I used to and trade in my city car. I miss getting back to these hard to get to lakes.

Thanks for all help people!

That's a lot of work you put in, you're for sure committed. I feel exactly the same way on having purchased a 2wd Tacoma, I love having a truck but I've ran into some scenarios where having 4wd would have helped out. Keep us up to date on your trout adventures. Good read.

Waterdog
12-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Great report! No fish but at least you got out in that beautiful country.
Regarding 4WD. All my trucks for 40+ years had had 4WD, I wouldnít be without it. Itís got me into and out of some beautiful remote places. Itís saved my a$$ numerous times. The problem with having 4WD s that it gives you confidence and thus can get you into trouble. Youíll try to go places you shouldnít and when you get stuck , youíre really really stuck, you are screwed. But bottom line Iíll never have a truck without 4WD.

Legalbeagle
12-30-2018, 01:21 PM
I hate to say it, but this would be a better time to hit up the pay-to-play lakes in the foothills. I'm sure Sierra Lakes are good for an occasional Mack or Brown, but the water's getting too cold (even for trout) and a lot of the Sierra Lakes become inaccessible. If I was a shore fisherman, I think I would hit up Collins, Amador, or the trout pond at Commanche. It may cost you a little $ to get in, but you'll save that in gas $.

yell0wshirt
12-30-2018, 02:19 PM
I hate to say it, but this would be a better time to hit up the pay-to-play lakes in the foothills. I'm sure Sierra Lakes are good for an occasional Mack or Brown, but the water's getting too cold (even for trout) and a lot of the Sierra Lakes become inaccessible. If I was a shore fisherman, I think I would hit up Collins, Amador, or the trout pond at Commanche. It may cost you a little $ to get in, but you'll save that in gas $.

Those are definitely some of the spots I have been considering to go to now. Even Rollins lake, which I hear has been decent recently. There's a few lakes up North from San Francisco near where I live (Lake Alpine, Bon Tempe & Kent) and I've been interested in fishing them as well. I know Alpine is a bit of a pain to walk around since there's basically no parking though. I've just been cast fishing and bottom fishing lately.

Might try and do some stream fishing as well with my brother, he's a lot better at fly fishing so we'll see what we can catch if we go again soon.

Thanks for posting everyone!

Legalbeagle
12-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Those are definitely some of the spots I have been considering to go to now. Even Rollins lake, which I hear has been decent recently. There's a few lakes up North from San Francisco near where I live (Lake Alpine, Bon Tempe & Kent) and I've been interested in fishing them as well. I know Alpine is a bit of a pain to walk around since there's basically no parking though. I've just been cast fishing and bottom fishing lately.

Might try and do some stream fishing as well with my brother, he's a lot better at fly fishing so we'll see what we can catch if we go again soon.

Thanks for posting everyone!

If you do any stream-fishing, check the regs first. A lot of them are closed or have special restrictions.

Owlman2
12-31-2018, 12:12 PM
That's a lot of work you put in, you're for sure committed. I feel exactly the same way on having purchased a 2wd Tacoma, I love having a truck but I've ran into some scenarios where having 4wd would have helped out. Keep us up to date on your trout adventures. Good read.

I hear ya, and this is exactly why I bought a Subaru. Good mileage AND all-wheel-drive. It actually has pretty decent off-road capability. The only downside is that I have to weather the "I didn't know you were a marxist-lesbian" quips.

10minhappyhour
01-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Speaking of the pay to play (fish), Have you heard anything about the pond at Commanche? Gave my 3 year old grandson his first fishing pole and would love to see him reel one in..

RideNfish
01-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Speaking of the pay to play (fish), Have you heard anything about the pond at Commanche? Gave my 3 year old grandson his first fishing pole and would love to see him reel one in..

Just a few days ago by Koke Machine. http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136124

Plug-n-Jug
01-02-2019, 12:09 PM

They are stocking on a regular basis. I was there last Friday 28th. They stocked at 10am. I limited in just under 1 hour. Nice 2&3 pounders. Use a crappie jig in a dark grasshopper color. Cast as far as possible and slowly twitch as you retrieve.

fishingfan
01-04-2019, 12:22 PM
They are stocking on a regular basis. I was there last Friday 28th. They stocked at 10am. I limited in just under 1 hour. Nice 2&3 pounders. Use a crappie jig in a dark grasshopper color. Cast as far as possible and slowly twitch as you retrieve.

Were you fishing the main lake or the ponds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plug-n-Jug
01-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Were you fishing the main lake or the ponds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10minhappyhour asked about the pond. That's where I caught the fish. Drove to the marina on the south side and talked to a few bankers there, action was slow for them.

sarahpee
01-10-2019, 12:53 PM
They make a truck that's not 4wd??? You're kidding right