PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Leader Line Recommendation

Curmudgeon
12-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Have any of you tried the Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Topknot (Mainline or Leader) for trolling leaders? I have been using P-Line but I am hoping to find a line with less memory. As always, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Jetspray
12-31-2018, 09:34 AM
I like Cajun and Vanish most of the time, strength depends on the mainline and what I am trolling for at what speed. I am not fond of P-line much because of the "Curly Screw" and it usually has a bunch of that...Jetspray

chachie
12-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Have any of you tried the Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Topknot (Mainline or Leader) for trolling leaders? I have been using P-Line but I am hoping to find a line with less memory. As always, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:beatdeadhorse5:

I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE my yo-zuri. I run a 4lb leader, and use it as main line on my UL rig and it has been phenomenal!

burninfuel
12-31-2018, 11:18 AM
10# Silver Thread, yup still using what is now gone. 10-15 years ago.
lead core and top line at Pyramid and 10# plus fishing in Lahontan Reservoir.
Wipers/ Walleye and high sierra west side lakes.

Jetspray
12-31-2018, 12:45 PM
10# Silver Thread, yup still using what is now gone. 10-15 years ago.
lead core and top line at Pyramid and 10# plus fishing in Lahontan Reservoir.
Wipers/ Walleye and high sierra west side lakes.I have to re-spool a couple of my Pyramid leadcore setups because of poor line conditions on them. I use heavier strength there due to how I use leadcore there:salmon:......Jetspray

88lakes
01-09-2019, 11:01 PM
try 8lb seaguar inviz X pricey but well worth it..........100% fluorocarbon.......

Jfitalia
01-09-2019, 11:33 PM
try 8lb seaguar inviz X pricey but well worth it..........100% fluorocarbon.......

There eally is no need to troll flouro.

Owlman2
01-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Exactly same stuff I use....30# braid with about 30 feet of the 8# Seaguar for leader. Might not be "necessary"....but I believe....and you know....."confidence".

MKE
01-10-2019, 07:28 AM
There eally is no need to troll flouro.I think fluorocarbon is a must if you're serious about trolling in clearwater lakes. I would not be caught dead fishing mono in Lake Tahoe or any other lake that's clear because monofilament is much more visible compared to fluorocarbon. It has helped my hookup ratio at least two folds.
But it wouldn't matter in those Foothill Lakes where they are not clear.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Owlman2
01-10-2019, 07:43 AM
I use flouro because 95% of my trolling is in pursuit of large browns in relatively clear water, and in my head I assign wisdom and intelligence to large browns far in excess of what they likely actually have.

I see it as a process of eliminating variables. I can easily and fairly affordably use the most invisible leader available, there is no downside to using it....other than a little bit of cost....so why not just use it and cross that variable off the list?

Fishing is a mental game, as much as anything.

TahoeJeff1
01-10-2019, 07:57 AM
I would not be caught dead fishing mono in Lake Tahoe

I agree 100%.

MtnFisher
01-10-2019, 08:56 AM
I use Seaguard red label florou since that is what I have.

Never any issues. And one spool lasts a long time as leader material.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Curmudgeon
01-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like using mono for the mainline and fluoro for the leader - no issues there. For the most part I run an 8# mono mainline and 6# fluoro leader.

My biggest issue is between the combo of how invisible the fluoro is and how bad my eyes are is that it takes me too long to switch out lures. Once finally tied they do hold up well. Thus I like to have leaders attached to lures in advance, but the problem with that is the high memory typically associated with fluoro lines.
:duh: