PDA

View Full Version : Lake Comanche info?

gmdcdvm
01-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Hey Everyone,
I have been debating making the drive to Lake Comanche to take my 8-year-old son fishing. Being from the east bay it is about an hour and forty minutes to get there. Just wondering if it is worth the trip and when it would be a good time to go. I have read about the trout pond at the south entrance. Wondering if I should take him there vs renting a boat and checking out the lake itself. Keep in mind I am a relative novice fisherman when it comes to freshwater and lake fishing. Any info you provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry

Stickman
01-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Hey Everyone,
I have been debating making the drive to Lake Comanche to take my 8-year-old son fishing. Being from the east bay it is about an hour and forty minutes to get there. Just wondering if it is worth the trip and when it would be a good time to go. I have read about the trout pond at the south entrance. Wondering if I should take him there vs renting a boat and checking out the lake itself. Keep in mind I am a relative novice fisherman when it comes to freshwater and lake fishing. Any info you provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi Gerry, I want to affirm your plan for trying the trout pond at Comanche vs renting a boat and working the main lake. Camanche is a very large lake and can be tough to fish even if you are not "a relative novice." I don't know what the cost would be of renting a boat for the day, but I am sure that your money would be better spent hiring a guide. You could spend your time learning how to fish the lake and actually fishing with your son instead of navigating the rental boat. On future trips to any of the "foothill" lakes you can rent a boat if you like and have a pretty good idea how to go after some fish.

My other thought is that an hour and 45 minutes travel time (one way) can make for a pretty long day for most 8 year olds. In the East Bay, Lake Chabot, Lake Del Valle and San Pablo Reservoir all get stocked with trout in the cold months and provide plenty of bank fishing opportunities. I live in the Sacramento area. The trout fishing (bank or boat) is good enough on any of those three lakes that it has been worth my time to travel to your "neck of the woods" to fish over the years. Full disclosure: I once took my son (then 9 years old ) on a day trip to Lake Davis (three hours one way!) to fish for trout. Now THAT was a long day. Thankfully, we did catch some fish to bring home but after that I tried to schedule fishing trips with my kids that had us spending more time fishing than driving. Thank you for posting and for teaching you son to love the outdoors and fishing.

stefanoflo
01-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Hook up with Robbie Dunham of koke machine . and pay the 150.00 and take the kid and have fun and catch great looking size fish . the kid will love it!!!!not sure if he has a discount price for kids or not .you will have a blast!!!!

MtnFisher
01-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Koke Machine or bust........

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kennythejet
01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
I highly recommend Robbie at Koke machine, I recently took my 12 year old grandson out with Robbie, he had never fished before and I wanted to make sure he had a good day.
We ended up with a limit of fish for both of us.
Robbie was very patient with my grandson and he is now hooked on fishing.
There is a discount for Kids

gmdcdvm
01-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will look into Koke machine.

We have fished all the local lakes with some success. We just like trying out new places, and he enjoys road trips with his pops. He likes the idea of new adventure.

Gerry

stefanoflo
01-20-2019, 06:40 PM

We have fished all the local lakes with some success. We just like trying out new places, and he enjoys road trips with his pops. He likes the idea of new adventure.

Gerry

you won`t regret it . Robbie is very passionate about what he does and will answer any question thrown at him plus he is a great teacher of the sport as well .He knows that Lake inside and out and Upside down . have fun when you go.:tears_of_joy: all you do is show up and fish and bring Lunch , he provides everything you need to catch fish. and he will fillet your fish as well. its as easy as easy gets.

Stickman
01-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Gerry

If your 8 year old is down for a long road trip to fish with with his dad, you have one died-in-the-wool fishermen for a son! That has to be a reflection on you as a dad and the relationship you two have. Thank you again for teaching him to love "the adventure" of the outdoors. You both give me hope for the future!

gmdcdvm
02-02-2019, 08:19 PM
If your 8 year old is down for a long road trip to fish with with his dad, you have one died-in-the-wool fishermen for a son! That has to be a reflection on you as a dad and the relationship you two have. Thank you again for teaching him to love "the adventure" of the outdoors. You both give me hope for the future!

Thank you for the kind words. My son is my best friend. He loves any and all fishing as long as he is hanging out with his pops. One day I know that will change, but for now I take advantage of it any timeI can. Now, I just need to work on figuring out the seasickness situation for him.

Gerry