PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Caples tomorrow.

Crab Roper
01-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Any reports on Caples. Ice, snow on top the regular stuff.

Crab Roper
01-26-2019, 03:17 PM
It was a zoo, we went to RED Lake no luck, I am getting too old for this stuff I will be selling all my Ice gear.

Jetspray
01-27-2019, 03:14 PM
It was a zoo, we went to RED Lake no luck, I am getting too old for this stuff I will be selling all my Ice gear.
If I walked out on the ice all you would hear is "Crack" and "Kerplunk".....Jetspray

Seon
01-27-2019, 05:45 PM
...I will be selling all my Ice gear.

Dibs on your Ice Pick http://finaddicts.us/smf/forums/Smileys/popos/grin.gif .

Crab Roper
01-27-2019, 06:18 PM
No Ice pick just a 10" 2 stroke augur 2 ugly ice poles large Jet sled snow shoes 300 # cap, fish finder and lots of tackle. Plus safety gear.

Seon
01-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Regarding the Ice Pick.

A couple of guys from Florida went north to ice fish. They stopped at a bait shop to buy bait, hooks and a couple of ICE PICKS. After several hours they returned to buy two more ICE PICKS. Clerk asked, "how's it going"? One answered, "Great, with these ICE PICKS, we'll have the boat in the water". http://finaddicts.us/smf/forums/Smileys/popos/duh.gif

Crab Roper
01-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Don't quit your day job......

Jetspray
01-28-2019, 04:12 AM
Don't quit your day job......I ain't had a J O B since 2006 when I retired at 56 years old. Retirement is sooooo good:action-smiley-035::starrolling5ez::starrolling5ez::starrolling5e z::starrolling5ez::starrolling5ez::heart:......Jet spray

Don - Nevada
01-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Jetspray,

As a fellow retiree: Every day is Saturday, and I get paid to do nothing, which I am very good at.

Jetspray
01-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Jetspray,

As a fellow retiree: Every day is Saturday, and I get paid to do nothing, which I am very good at.
Two rules to retirement:

1. You have plenty of time to take care of my problems.

2. You are rich and can afford anything we want you to pay for.

Rule 1 This would include any task any family member wants you to do like watch the house, kids, animals, UPS deliveries etc etc. It also includes medical and dental apt's because you have so much time on your hands and can meet anything they ask, who cares if they overlap. You also can be put off forever for anything you need done to your house, vehicles, or any other service you need. Any appointment counts as one day lost and you may never see them show up. More to come...

Rule 2 This means that if you retired you must be a million or billion dollar resource to pay for anything that has to be done. Simply said and most of the folks that demand this from you are saving diddly squat for their retirements, because they expect you to hand them "their" retirement on a stick. More to come.....

Jetspray

okie
01-28-2019, 01:30 PM
I worked for 39 years, what I have left when i'm gone goes to the wife. the kids can
work for what they want when they retire. I paid to raise them, their college and that ended
dad's responsibility, that being said, they had part time jobs to pay for their recreation.

be safe

Crab Roper
01-28-2019, 04:58 PM
If I walked out on the ice all you would hear is "Crack" and "Kerplunk".....Jetspray

Go on a diet. Ice was thick enough drive on. Lol...

Jetspray
01-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Go on a diet. Ice was thick enough drive on. Lol...Nah I just don't walk on any, ice fishing is not my favorite activity otherwise I would go back to the mid west and do it again. As far as driving on it back in the 50's it was the first time I saw someone die doing that at Clear Lake Iowa, first hand.....Jetspray

ucsbfisherman
02-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Bumping this thread - has anyone seen Caples in the last week? I know there's a major storm moving through right now. Monday looks like it should be nice and sunny, though. I'm hoping to get out there with a buddy of mine and check it out. Just not sure if the snow will be too deep?

MKE
02-15-2019, 08:37 PM
I have not been because it's been DEEP for awhile and I don't have a 4' extension.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

ucsbfisherman
02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
I have not been because it's been DEEP for awhile and I don't have a 4' extension.

When you say deep, how deep are we talking? I'll have my shovel with me and I expect to scoop out a few feet for sure. After that, a regular auger should work right? Mine is about 4'.

don reynold
02-15-2019, 10:48 PM
have a nice day friend !:fat:

MKE
02-16-2019, 07:48 AM
3 weeks ago one of my fishing buddies was there and said the ice was 4 feet thick with 7 feet of snow on top. Now it's gotta be 12 feet of snow at least on top of the ice. I'd bring a Honda snow blower instead of a shovel!

PapaGreg
02-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Make sure and check road conditions first, 88 has been closed on/off periodically due to heavy snow, be careful if you go

ucsbfisherman
02-16-2019, 03:15 PM
3 weeks ago one of my fishing buddies was there and said the ice was 4 feet thick with 7 feet of snow on top. Now it's gotta be 12 feet of snow at least on top of the ice. I'd bring a Honda snow blower instead of a shovel!

Lordddd okay thank you for the heads up. I think we will still go out and try, maybe will bring two shovels. But I've got a few backups in mind if it doesn't work out. I'll report back with the results.

Make sure and check road conditions first, 88 has been closed on/off periodically due to heavy snow, be careful if you go

Thanks man, I've been keeping an eye on the opening status. I have a feeling it will remain closed today but should open up tomorrow. There are only a few inches expected tomorrow morning and then we should be clear for a couple days. Hoping there are no issues Monday but will still drive carefully, certainly.

Echetino
02-20-2019, 10:18 AM
How did it look?

ucsbfisherman
02-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Sorry for the delay guys - busy week. It was indeed a crazy out there. I got stopped at Carson Spur on 88 due to avalanche risk so couldn't make it to Caples, but given how much snow was at ~6,500 feet it would have been unfishable.

Since we couldn't get to Caples, we drove the Jeep to Bear River Reservoir and snow shoed our way down to see if it was frozen. It was indeed completely snowed over and frozen, but unfortunately the ice wasn't solid enough - it was slushy. Thankfully we didn't walk out on it.

I ended the day by driving down to about 2,000 feet and fishing a lake in the foothills. We did well and landed 4 trout in about ~4 hours. Wasn't what we had hoped to do but I was happy nonetheless. Seems like I'll have to wait until next year to do Caples ice fishing!