PDA

View Full Version : Indian Valley Reservoir?

roxnhead
02-17-2019, 09:53 AM
I was thinking of heading out to Indian Valley Reservoir tomorrow and staying a few nights. We want to head to the northern end of the lake but have concerns about access. Is there road access to the lake? Which is best and open for camping? 4WD? Snow? Campground? I have never been there so any information is appreciated.

Waterdog
02-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Iíve spent a lot of time at Indian valley res. but havenít been there in several years. The way I go in is off Highway 20 over Walker Ridge Rd. After all the recent rain the roads in that area (all dirt) will be a mess. Youíll need 4wd but even then youíll get stuck. Iím guessing that the roads into Indian valley are probably closed at this time. Iíd wait until we have a few dry weeks for that area to dry out. If any snow there it would melt pretty quick. If you go do so with another 4wd so you can help each other if you get stuck.
There is an old primitive camp ground there but you can camp anywhere around the lake you want.
It use to be a great fishery but they drained the lake a few years ago and I donít know if the fishery has recovered. Iíve caught trout, Kokanee, bass and catfish there.
The time to go there is in the spring , summer and fall although it gets darn hot in the summer.
One word of caution, there are a lot of rattle snakes in the area. Iíve seen lots of them and one of my dogs got bit several years ago. You donít have to worry about them now cause they are hibernating but come spring and warmer weather theyíll be about. I donít have a problem going up there but I will no longer take my dog. Of course everywhere in the California Central Valley youíre going to find rattlers.
I like Indian valley because itís remote and primitive. Donít know what it looks like now as a couple of big fires have gone through there or very close over the last couple years. Any other questions please ask.

firetrout
02-17-2019, 06:30 PM
My friend fished that lake last year. It's his home lake. They have it closed down ever since
the wildland fires. From what he was told they have no idea when it will reopen to fishing

Fish-on
02-19-2019, 05:11 AM
If you hunt take a pig tag with you. I canít give you any fishing advise but I have hunted that area although without success but I have always seen tracks all over the roads behind the lake.

03-05-2019, 06:04 PM
they definately have pigs up there

Slvrsides
03-06-2019, 12:16 AM
they definately have pigs up there

Didn't the area all around the lake burn last year?..have you seen any sign of hogs since the fires?..been thinking of going up and doin some scouting but don't wanna waste a weekend if things are devoid of life!!..I've been up out of Stonyford and hunted hogs and bear between there and Clear Lake but wonder if the fires have destroyed the populations

Waterdog
03-06-2019, 07:19 AM
Iíve seen pigs and pig sign up there but never hunted them. There is also good deer hunting around Indian valley but also never hunted them there. Iíve hunted quail there quite successfully. But as Slvrsides says all of that may have changed due to the fires. I know most of that area was devastated from the fires. I donít know if the fire made it down to the lake but I know all around there was burnt. When things dry out some, I may take a ride up there to check it out. I wouldnít be surprised though if the roads into Indian Valley are closed off.