PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Trout Challenge

Wolf74
02-26-2019, 08:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone has completed the Heritage Trout Challenge. I hadn't heard about it until pretty recently but now I'm planning to try to knock it out by the end of the year. Its basically a state challenge without a time limit. You are to catch 6 native trout out of their historic drainage. If you complete the challenge the state rewards you with a certificate acknowledging your accomplishment and a hat I think. It's more of a personal accomplishment than a contest. It just gives me an excuse to explore new water and go after new species. Anyone here pulled it off? Here's a link to the state site. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Inland/HTC

Left_Hook
02-26-2019, 11:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone has completed the Heritage Trout Challenge. I hadn't heard about it until pretty recently but now I'm planning to try to knock it out by the end of the year. Its basically a state challenge without a time limit. You are to catch 6 native trout out of their historic drainage. If you complete the challenge the state rewards you with a certificate acknowledging your accomplishment and a hat I think. It's more of a personal accomplishment than a contest. It just gives me an excuse to explore new water and go after new species. Anyone here pulled it off? Here's a link to the state site. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Inland/HTC

I had a buddy that pulled it off a few years back. I remember thinking that he was crazy for driving/hiking to all these remote areas for tiny golden trout etc.....He ended up with a certificate and a hat. In retrospect, it was definitely an accomplishment and wished that I had the time to do it. Maybe in retirement I'll have the time. Best of luck to you my friend!

SteelHunter
02-26-2019, 12:09 PM
The Heritage Trout Challenge has been on my bucket list since I first heard about it. Sounds like a lot of fun, exploring new waterways and finding these little trout gems.

Let us know your progress as you go through the challenge.

I'm hoping I can get into it real soon. I really want to catch a coastal cutthroat trout.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Captain Compassion
02-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Caught most of them except the Piute and unsure about the red bands. Not necessarily in the proper places,

CC

itroutfish
02-27-2019, 10:13 AM
I pulled it off and working on certificate number two. Great adventure to catch beautiful heritage trout and see a lot of California. The certificate is very nice and provides all the details of each catch (trout illustrations are by Tomelleri). I have it framed and hanging proudly on the wall. Go for it!

Stickman
02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
I pulled it off and working on certificate number two. Great adventure to catch beautiful heritage trout and see a lot of California. The certificate is very nice and provides all the details of each catch (trout illustrations are by Tomelleri). I have it framed and hanging proudly on the wall. Go for it!

Hey itroutfish,

That is a truly great accomplishment! Congratulations on your perseverance and fishing skills. And thanks for posting. This is sure to inspire other fisherfolk!