PDA

View Full Version : New Melones shore fishing

USMCmatt
03-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Hey there fellow fish-chasers! I've got a buddy coming from out of state to go camping with me at New Melones at the end of the month. The plan is to sit on the bank and drink copious amounts of beer and whiskey, accompanied by good (or not so good) cigars, while trying to catch some trout to BBQ up on the grill.

Only problem is that I haven't fished New Melones much at all, so I'm looking to you all to help out this Veteran by pointing us in the right direction as to an approximate decent location on the lake to set up to catch some fish. I usually fished a sliding sinker rig with an inflated night crawler on one rod, and power bait on the other. Any insight on what baits the trout like to cruise the shore for out there would also be super helpful!

Thanks in advance! Happy Beer!:trout::fishing5xd::very_drunk:

BigUnInDaBoat
03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Haven't heard much from the shore bound group from melones this year. I used to fish it multiple times a week from the shore, but then got a boat. Some of the better places are houseboat cove, Angels cove, Gloryhole Point, along angels creek access road or under/around the 49'er bridge (one of two of the only free access spots left) . I would use bait on one rod and throw a kastmaster or other shad imitating spoon on the other. The banks get really slippery this time of year, honestly cleats are not a terrible idea.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-08-2019, 10:37 AM
if you're not heartset on NM there are some better lakes fishing from shore atm.

EddieTee
03-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Use to love that lake, as a matter of fact my favorite one for many years , but since they quite planting trout there a couple of years ago it's hard to catch the few that are left. So Sad

bigfin
03-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Haven't heard much from the shore bound group from melones this year. I used to fish it multiple times a week from the shore, but then got a boat. Some of the better places are houseboat cove, Angels cove, Gloryhole Point, along angels creek access road or under/around the 49'er bridge (one of two of the only free access spots left) . I would use bait on one rod and throw a kastmaster or other shad imitating spoon on the other. The banks get really slippery this time of year, honestly cleats are not a terrible idea.

Second that Houseboat cove , Angels Cove . Tightlines BF

ppickerell
03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
I have been to Melones a half dozen times since New years by boat and have not seen many bankers. I would park at the south end of the 49er bridge east side and walk down under the bridge. Pretty spot and access to deep water. At Tuttletown ramp you get to fish right off the back of your truck next to the water.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Use to love that lake, as a matter of fact my favorite one for many years , but since they quite planting trout there a couple of years ago it's hard to catch the few that are left. So Sad

They've not stopped planting it. Also she received a big plant of sub catchable browns about a year ago. Melones has been fishing better than she ever has the last couple of years. Not for the kokes, but the trout are bombers.33705

Slvrsides
03-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Did see a guy catch a nice Rainbow from shore back in Bear creek a month or so ago..don't expect a bunch of action and come with a backup plan..a few Crappie or ditch pickles can sometimes save a trip..we cover A LOT of water trolling and sometimes go several trips between fish..they're just ALL hogs so worth the wait337063370733708

BigUnInDaBoat
03-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Did see a guy catch a nice Rainbow from shore back in Bear creek a month or so ago..don't expect a bunch of action and come with a backup plan..a few Crappie or ditch pickles can sometimes save a trip..we cover A LOT of water trolling and sometimes go several trips between fish..they're just ALL hogs so worth the wait337063370733708

Great fish, I did really well last season there. I am looking forward to a break in this weather.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-08-2019, 10:11 PM

going to be some DD's there and Pedro this year

MtnFisher
03-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Frigging awesome bows by all!

Boss trout rule! Lols

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
03-10-2019, 04:32 PM
I gave it a shot today in the afternoon in Angles Cove. No love, no fish jumping. Water is crystal clear and cold. It's come up enough now that slimy banks are not an issue.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-10-2019, 04:33 PM

CAL.NDN
03-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Wow beautiful water we don't have any of that around here lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EddieTee
03-10-2019, 06:56 PM
They've not stopped planting it. Also she received a big plant of sub catchable browns about a year ago. Melones has been fishing better than she ever has the last couple of years. Not for the kokes, but the trout are bombers.33705
I thought the Big Trout that are caught now and then are the holdovers from when the plants stop. So your saying that the hogs being caught now and than are recent plants. So who is planting them and how often?

dinasnore
03-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Bring plenty of hot dogs if you want something to go with your beer. DFW has not planted trout in Melones for a few years. I live a mile or so from the lake and years ago bank fishermen lined the bank to catch the planters. That is long gone from Melones now. The kokanee clubs do pen up a few hundred pounds of trout at the marina each year. They grow them to trophy size before releasing them into the reservoir. You would starve to death trying to catch them from the bank though. I would bring a frying pan, some corn meal and my bass gear if I were banking it for a few days.

stefanoflo
03-11-2019, 08:50 AM
I fish camp Nine and the last year or so its been rough. Browns use to be all over , Not no more than rainbows are dead as well. I`m sure Most that are remaining will be Wild fish . because i say wild because in the past i did catch a few small 4-5 Inchers and with all the Bass fishing going on in Melones whatever small native trout is in the lake becomes food .
seems they would rather have a bass lake than a trout lake, easier to manage and bass lay lay eggs that hatch sooner.
they did not even plant with all the rains in 2017 . you think they will in 2019?? Don`t think so!!!Plus is the water Not Allocated for Farmers now?? Im sure trout and farmers don`t mix!

Slvrsides
03-11-2019, 09:05 AM
I gave it a shot today in the afternoon in Angles Cove. No love, no fish jumping. Water is crystal clear and cold. It's come up enough now that slimy banks are not an issue.

I was out there too yesterday late afternoon..trolled for an hour and a half then tstorms started closing in and wind really picked up..ended up dropping in on some Crappie and came home with dinner..this years been rough for us there..last winter/spring we would catch at least every trip or 2..some days multiple fish..but it's been a couple months now since anything..hoping some decent weather will change things

Slvrsides
03-11-2019, 09:07 AM

going to be some DD's there and Pedro this year

Is your buddy in the pic Charles?

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Is your buddy in the pic Charles?

Yea! And he KILLED it at camp 9 this last year. Huge browns and bows.

I fished melones for decades, she's definitely changed over the past 10 years. I used to be one of those bank rats, the big holdovers would come in around mid Nov and then be gone when the bass move back in to spawn. Once the shad start to school up heavy near the surface the big bows/browns will be right behind them.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2019, 09:54 AM
I fish camp Nine and the last year or so its been rough. Browns use to be all over , Not no more than rainbows are dead as well. I`m sure Most that are remaining will be Wild fish . because i say wild because in the past i did catch a few small 4-5 Inchers and with all the Bass fishing going on in Melones whatever small native trout is in the lake becomes food .
seems they would rather have a bass lake than a trout lake, easier to manage and bass lay lay eggs that hatch sooner.
they did not even plant with all the rains in 2017 . you think they will in 2019?? Don`t think so!!!Plus is the water Not Allocated for Farmers now?? Im sure trout and farmers don`t mix!

Man you are always so negative. Caught nearly a 30lb 5 fish limit there and none were wild spawned fish, guys just do not realize how fast the triploids grow. When shes full NM is nearly 400 feet deep. It's a huge lake which can support a huge population of fish as long as we are not in a drought.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2019, 10:01 AM
I thought the Big Trout that are caught now and then are the holdovers from when the plants stop. So your saying that the hogs being caught now and than are recent plants. So who is planting them and how often?

"Now and then" haha. No they do not stock big bows with full tails like that. There was a disaster last winter at Moccasin, it's going to take probably another year before they are back to their normal stocking routine. There are a ton of rumors flying around about no more trout plants, I've not seen a single shred of evidence on that.

The trout population in NM is just fine. Kokanee are also on the plant menu.

stefanoflo
03-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Man you are always so negative. Caught nearly a 30lb 5 fish limit there and none were wild spawned fish, guys just do not realize how fast the triploids grow. When shes full NM is nearly 400 feet deep. It's a huge lake which can support a huge population of fish as long as we are not in a drought.

Negative no!!!!!...I am talking Whats I have done with the Experience given while on The River , I said I fished camp Nine . Not Camp10 or 11 . I said Camp Nine and from what I have Experienced the last 3 years I have not caught what Normally comes up in the hot Summer Months at the River Arm that Leads to Melones dam.It has been a While since I caught Wild fish that breed in the river system .I am assuming they are wild because they are less than 5 Inches. No negative here at all . True facts from the boots on the ground
Deal with it .Sorry . Unless the story changes .Im sticking to it!!!! and in the past i was catching Fish all day long . I was more busier than a Hooker in Vegas!!!!

CAL.NDN
03-11-2019, 04:19 PM

337213372233723Those are beautiful camp 9 fish there and huge. Good job to your friend.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Negative no!!!!!...I am talking Whats I have done with the Experience given while on The River , I said I fished camp Nine . Not Camp10 or 11 . I said Camp Nine and from what I have Experienced the last 3 years I have not caught what Normally comes up in the hot Summer Months at the River Arm that Leads to Melones dam.It has been a While since I caught Wild fish that breed in the river system .I am assuming they are wild because they are less than 5 Inches. No negative here at all . True facts from the boots on the ground
Deal with it .Sorry . Unless the story changes .Im sticking to it!!!! and in the past i was catching Fish all day long . I was more busier than a Hooker in Vegas!!!!

All those fish in the post you quoted are from camp nine this year the last week of season. The big wild fish was released (can you tell which one that is?).

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Those are beautiful camp 9 fish there and huge. Good job to your friend.

He caught a 14+ lb'er from cherry a few years back, no joke the thing was a monster.

CAL.NDN
03-11-2019, 08:07 PM
I think I heard about that one. That is a beast.

Slvrsides
03-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Yea he catches some nice Trout..we went salmon fishin in November and I got to check out some of his pics..the Rainbow from Cherry was legit...I got another buddy that fishes camp 9 quite a bit and he killed it there too..definitely no shortage think he said he caught over 70(quality fish)there last summer..one thing I can say is the Kokanee run up there is not what it used to be..I've been there when the water was red with spawning fish in clouds of hundreds of em running up river, eagles and bears everywhere looked like something outta Alaska..hasn't been like that in quite a few years

dinasnore
03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
All those fish in the post you quoted are from camp nine this year the last week of season. The big wild fish was released (can you tell which one that is?).

This thread was started by a fellow asking about his chances of catching enough trout from the bank at Melones to put on a BBQ for him and his friend at the end of THIS MONTH. Me and several other posters that appear to be familiar with the reservoir have tried to tell him that his chances are poor. You have a right to disagree with us about the opinions we posted to answer the original question posed. I hope you donít find it negative for me to suggest that the original poster may not be well served by showing him eight or nine pictures of trout caught from a boat. It is certainly not helping him by posting the last three pictures of trout taken in the Stanislaus River where it flows into the reservoir. While he might be able to find to find the conditions (moving water) that you caught yours in, he is better advised to wait till the end of April when the general trout season opens. Ask me how I know.

stefanoflo
03-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Those are beautiful camp 9 fish there and huge. Good job to your friend.

correct me .. from the 3 Pics I see I see a King Salmon in there , So how did a Salmon get in the Camp Nine area better yet at Melones????????? did it come up Lake Tullock and then Up Past Melones dam and then go upstream from there???.I`m was Hoping you posted fish Caught at Melones dam ..Salmon if that is a Salmon ..I hate to say it ..It never Happened....BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Salmon can not make it up that far !!!Kokanee are Planted in Melones at one time .
so Correct me so I see what I am to see OK .

Slvrsides
03-11-2019, 11:43 PM
This thread was started by a fellow asking about his chances of catching enough trout from the bank at Melones to put on a BBQ for him and his friend at the end of THIS MONTH. Me and several other posters that appear to be familiar with the reservoir have tried to tell him that his chances are poor. You have a right to disagree with us about the opinions we posted to answer the original question posed. I hope you donít find it negative for me to suggest that the original poster may not be well served by showing him eight or nine pictures of trout caught from a boat. It is certainly not helping him by posting the last three pictures of trout taken in the Stanislaus River where it flows into the reservoir. While he might be able to find to find the conditions (moving water) that you caught yours in, he is better advised to wait till the end of April when the general trout season opens. Ask me how I know.
Well..the original post was for advise on shore fishing at New Melonies..correct several people myself included who are VERY familiar with both shore and boat fishing the lake have chimed in with some invaluable info and at some point the question of the quantity(quality here is not questionable)of fish in the lake was brought up..while some of us tend to get sidetracked a bit the same "qualified" individuals put out some supporting info as to their view on the subject..I think we're all in agreement that your odds of pulling up to poor mans beach and knocking down a half dozen bangers is slim to none, but pics(both in the lake and the river that becomes it)are proof of
a catchable population of trophy class fish..I know if my trip relied on an afternoon of reeling in a bunch of Trout Melonies wouldn't be where I'd go, but the original post sounded like he had it already figured out..hanging out BBQ and having some drinks with good company is the highlight..catching fish would be a bonus..for those of us trophy hunters that are willing to put in days of fishing for one giant those pics are worth their weight in gold

Slvrsides
03-11-2019, 11:56 PM
correct me .. from the 3 Pics I see I see a King Salmon in there , So how did a Salmon get in the Camp Nine area better yet at Melones????????? did it come up Lake Tullock and then Up Past Melones dam and then go upstream from there???.I`m was Hoping you posted fish Caught at Melones dam ..Salmon if that is a Salmon ..I hate to say it ..It never Happened....BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Salmon can not make it up that far !!!Kokanee are Planted in Melones at one time .
so Correct me so I see what I am to see OK .

Those are all Trout(I believe the third pic is the wild fish)..those Trout get up into moving water and hang there cause the fresh supply of food and oxygenated water..temps are usually pretty Trouty too..I KILLED it at the inlet to another nearby lake all last summer thru the fall(I'll post some proof when my pics will upload)until the river coming in got blown out..not as big as Melonies fish but caught sometimes dozens of fish a day up to 5lbs, both holdovers and wild fish..only reason I didn't fish NM as much

BigUnInDaBoat
03-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Those replies were to other people who posted in the thread who claimed melones is not a good lake for trout. I even went down to the lake and fished it the 2 days ago. All those trout that were caught on a boat were after those fish moved offshore from earlier in the season. THIS bank season has been slow.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

USMCmatt
03-12-2019, 02:07 PM
I really appreciate all of the input. I appreciate seeing all the pics of nice fish. Those of you that are talking more about what's being caught from boats or in the river...it's all good knowledge to share. A couple of you emphasized the fact that I was looking for a little info on the bank fishing there, but that my main activity going camping, and relaxing. My goal is getting drunk, relaxing, eating awesome guy food (steaks, brats, beans, etc...), and did I mention getting drunk... :)
This is my annual 5 day camping trip where my best friend from Las Vegas and another buddy of ours gets together for a camping trip filled the above activities. I do have 2 boats, one I fish lakes and rivers, the other is a 25' Wellcraft that I fish out of Bodega bay. I also have a 29' camper that I bring on these camping trips. My point is that there are 2 main reasons that I'm not too concerned about knocking 'em dead at Melones is that I can only tow a boat or the camper, and I can't get a DUI in my boat if I leave it at home. I typically like to fish/camp at the higher elevation lakes, but we lost a good friend a few months ago, and are all needing to make the annual camping trip happen a lot sooner than we typically do. That means that we had to choose a lower elevation lake due to all the snow. I love to catch fish, but based on most of the input from you all, I'll emphasize on "Buzz fishing"! I'll try to catch some fish, but if I don't, I know that I'll definitely catch a BUZZ!

RideNfish
03-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Awesome USMCmatt,

I have had great success fishing that lake from the shore but mostly hiking to near inlets. Some are tough to get to without a boat. But the advice you have seen about Angels Cove, House boat, etc are good advice. BugUnInDaboat and Slvrsides give good advice.

Soak a bait rod (good for drinking booze) and throw a small jig or kastmaster when bored. And since most the pics are boat fish I will throw in a couple of bank fish I caught. This was in 2012 however. Sorry... LOL

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_02501280x959_zps744109f0.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/ScreaminRK/media/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_02501280x959_zps744109f0.jpg.html)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_02321280x960_zpsaa1f22f1.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/ScreaminRK/media/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_02321280x960_zpsaa1f22f1.jpg.html)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0139.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/ScreaminRK/media/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0139.jpg.html)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0141.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/ScreaminRK/media/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0141.jpg.html)

P.S. Only one kept. All released fish. These are NOT planted this way. Look at the tails that will tell you.

Cheers,

CAL.NDN
03-12-2019, 07:07 PM
I remember when you posted them fish still great looking fish.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-12-2019, 08:19 PM
I really appreciate all of the input. I appreciate seeing all the pics of nice fish. Those of you that are talking more about what's being caught from boats or in the river...it's all good knowledge to share. A couple of you emphasized the fact that I was looking for a little info on the bank fishing there, but that my main activity going camping, and relaxing. My goal is getting drunk, relaxing, eating awesome guy food (steaks, brats, beans, etc...), and did I mention getting drunk... :)
This is my annual 5 day camping trip where my best friend from Las Vegas and another buddy of ours gets together for a camping trip filled the above activities. I do have 2 boats, one I fish lakes and rivers, the other is a 25' Wellcraft that I fish out of Bodega bay. I also have a 29' camper that I bring on these camping trips. My point is that there are 2 main reasons that I'm not too concerned about knocking 'em dead at Melones is that I can only tow a boat or the camper, and I can't get a DUI in my boat if I leave it at home. I typically like to fish/camp at the higher elevation lakes, but we lost a good friend a few months ago, and are all needing to make the annual camping trip happen a lot sooner than we typically do. That means that we had to choose a lower elevation lake due to all the snow. I love to catch fish, but based on most of the input from you all, I'll emphasize on "Buzz fishing"! I'll try to catch some fish, but if I don't, I know that I'll definitely catch a BUZZ!

What side are you guys camping on? I just bought my annual pass hope to start fishing it more in the next couple weeks, if I get into them I'll let you guys know.