PDA

View Full Version : middle fork feather - early april

Markj2k4
03-17-2019, 12:34 PM
So to celebrate our birthday (yes we have the same birthday, we're wierdos, I know.) my wife got us a place up in Portola for a weekend bash with close friends the second weekend in April. I understand trout season opens on the river the first weekend in April. With that in mind, are there any general areas in the Portola area for us to explore - something to get us started, we are shooting for multi-sport (ohv riding, fishing and backcountry hiking) so a little guidance to keep up from driving around trying to find a place to throw a line would be really helpful. Thanks!

Robertash20
03-19-2019, 06:17 AM
I think you might want to check the regs. General trout season opens Last saturday in April. Obviously, there are exceptions but I would check the regs before casting a line this time of year!

MKE
03-19-2019, 06:57 AM
I think you might want to check the regs. General trout season opens Last saturday in April. Obviously, there are exceptions but I would check the regs before casting a line this time of year!There is a stretch of the Middle Fork of the feather that is open on the first Saturday of April.
I used to go up there and fish it all the time when I was younger before the traditional trout opener there's some big fish swimming around there but it seems like the water was always really low and clear. You got to use very light line, be very sneaky, and have perfect casts.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/a91f25ae9681a5106e6618e3f9a03c2e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Markj2k4
03-19-2019, 06:58 AM
I think you might want to check the regs. General trout season opens Last saturday in April. Obviously, there are exceptions but I would check the regs before casting a line this time of year!

Yes, Thank you! I double checked what I had read; the first Saturday opening according to online regs, is only for a 20 mile stretch from just north of Portola to Mohawk downstream. You are 100% correct all other areas are last saturday.

Markj2k4
04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
outside chance anyone fished the opener? if yes, any news?

pointemdown
04-10-2019, 04:57 PM
I was up in the area last week. Never saw the Middle Fork at Portola to Mohawk, but other flows in the area very high and stained. There was still a lot of snow around Almanor, and the peaks along highway 70.

Markj2k4
04-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Fwiw and other's info, the river is high and fast along the open stretch but decent clarity, the high level gets you into the reeds in many places, some decent action everywhere we tried.