PDA

View Full Version : Tips for pontoon boat fishing?

OldManMcGinty
03-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Ok, so I used to do a lot of shore fishing, primarily at Lake Chabot, and usually had tolerable luck, occasionally catching my limit of trout, using a sliding rig and power bait.

A couple of years ago I got a Colorado XTS pontoon boat, tricked it out with a trolling motor and fish finder, and have now fished at Chabot a couple of times, and now at the San Pablo reservoir three times. Completely skunked every time, without even a bite. I usually go to few likely spots, but haven't seen much sign of activity on the finder. I've tried some light trolling, tried parking for a while and just letting my line linger.

I've tried a variety of lures, worms, and half a dozen varieties of power bait, mostly with Carolina or sliding rigs.

I'm planning to try the Lafayette Reservoir next, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I need to do to get some luck. Can anyone offer some tips?

jive0400
03-18-2019, 06:34 PM
No reason why you cant slow troll threaded night crawler. Or needle-fish. Aluminum boats are noise in general in the water and also might produce a negative charge in the water .
Lead core line with a long leader(8lbs) will get you farther away from the boat. And yes downrigggers are used on pontoon boats too

more time you will be successful:cheeky-smiley-006:

hooks
03-19-2019, 07:26 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71VIXvwGhNL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOOCJAW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=de4170-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00TOOCJAW&linkId=a528a32619704d631dea364c8c04a775

Is this your pontoon boat?

If you're having success catching fish from shore using a sliding sinker and powerbait then the fish are on or close to the bottom.

Fish for them there from your pontoon....for starters

OldManMcGinty
03-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Is this your pontoon boat?

If you're having success catching fish from shore using a sliding sinker and powerbait then the fish are on or close to the bottom.

Fish for them there from your pontoon....for starters

Yep, that's the one. And I've tried that and had no luck of any kind. I think the next time I'm going to mix it up and try some actual trolling (for as long as my battery holds out) as well as the sliding rigs. Maybe I need to make it out to the lake earlier as well.

Hookem2004
03-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Try a different lake like Lake Camanche. And yes the trout bite is best at sunrise.

panther
03-19-2019, 04:10 PM
A couple of different thoughts...I agree with Hooks...nothing wrong with bait fishing from an inflatable boat. I do it. I have aluminum boats and troll from them with a motor. But on my frameless Scadden Renegade I fish smaller bodies of water (easier to figure them out)...and I intentionally do not bring a motor. I just row and top line troll. I think there is something about the pause between oar strokes when trolling that often triggers strikes. Plus it's great not having to lug around a motor and battery.

fishingfan
03-19-2019, 05:38 PM
I use to fish from one of those before I got into kayak fishing. I use to never find the fish either until I started traveling greater distances in the kayak.

Sometimes you need to travel a bit of distance until you find the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfin
03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Look at some of the old Lafayette posts by Mike and Kristy they were pretty informative and even had what to use and how to drift fish them . They do very well there keep in mind most of those fish are Lassen so definitely Garlic Chartreuse Power Bait or Orange eggs would suit you well . Tightlines BF , and oh BTW love the toon .