PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks in the bay

MoMoney
03-18-2019, 07:29 AM
A coastsider rescued a kayak fisherman who had overturned yesterday in the SPB.They saw a net floating by then later saw the man in the water ( he had been in the water 45 minutes he said).They got him to shore where the FD was waiting as he had signs of hypothermia.He was also wearing waders :( We saw a lone kayak fisherman out at the San Bruno Shoal in the middle of the bay yesterday.
Guys if your gonna fish in the bay in a kayak please dress for immersion and have a waterproof means of communication and stay with your buddy.Going solo out into the middle of the bay is asking for big trouble IMO!!

salmonid
03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Lucky someone found him.

RumNKoke
03-18-2019, 12:52 PM
It is amazing what you see out there.....

People say I am crazy for being out there in a 14ft valco.....

MoMoney
03-18-2019, 01:45 PM
It is amazing what you see out there.....

People say I am crazy for being out there in a 14ft valco.....
If I saw you out on the San Bruno Shoal I'd say you were crazy too LOL but fishing at OP while launching there seems pretty normal

RumNKoke
03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
If I saw you out on the San Bruno Shoal I'd say you were crazy too LOL but fishing at OP while launching there seems pretty normal

We launch out of Oyster when we fish the south bay.
We'll run out to San Bruno when the window allows.
We are usually back on the trailer by 1 at the latest, unless we find the oddball day the wind stays down

What I regularly tell people is.
What is better?
Being on a mountain lake 4 miles from the launch ramp with no cell service and probably nobody on the other end of the VHF.
Or 4 miles out in the middle of the bay, with the coast guard minutes away, and boat traffic all around.
I have a fixed mount VHF in the boat and I wear a waterproof handheld VHF.......

As soon as a breeze picks up at the shoals, we head back to the oyster side......

BigUnInDaBoat
03-19-2019, 07:53 AM
A coastsider rescued a kayak fisherman who had overturned yesterday in the SPB.They saw a net floating by then later saw the man in the water ( he had been in the water 45 minutes he said).They got him to shore where the FD was waiting as he had signs of hypothermia.He was also wearing waders :( We saw a lone kayak fisherman out at the San Bruno Shoal in the middle of the bay yesterday.
Guys if your gonna fish in the bay in a kayak please dress for immersion and have a waterproof means of communication and stay with your buddy.Going solo out into the middle of the bay is asking for big trouble IMO!!

He posted on facebook. Dude thought he was done for. Is wearing waders a normal thing on a kayak? Glad there were some sharp eyes fishermen there to save him.