PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid or Topaz?

yell0wshirt
03-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Heading up north tomorrow to do some fishing. Anyone have any recs on which lake is best to fish from shore right now? Thinking either Pyramid or Topaz. Never been to either, but heard some great things on both. Been trying to read up as much as possible on both lakes, including the 101 on Pyramid.

Thanks for the help!

Captain Compassion
03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
At Topaz fish the southern shore. You can access the lake about a mile south of the ag check station. Use Powerbait or float a worm with a marshmallow.

At Pyramid fish the southern beaches. Blockhouse is good if not crowded. a 1/2 to one oz spoon. Frog, rainbow, orange with black spots. Also good fishing off the tufa south of the ramp at Pelican.

If you want to catch some fish to eat fish Topaz. If ypu wan a chance for a fish of a lifetime give Pyramid a try.

okie
03-20-2019, 03:59 PM
was planning on hitting the mid tomorrow with ivan, but predicted rain and winds we cancelled
those plans, still have plans to hit it friday with hooks unless mother nature throws us another curve.
be safe

iln143
03-20-2019, 04:55 PM

My newly painted Maglips to try next week. Inspired by hooks.

hooks
03-20-2019, 05:11 PM

My newly painted Maglips to try next week. Inspired by hooks.

Very nice Ivan. You got it covered now. What's your next lure?

fishwrong2
03-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Day to day Topaz may be better for a few fish to take home but Pyramid is one of the best trout fisheries in the world, and has a very legitimate opportunity to catch a trout over 10 pounds on any given day.

Not knocking Topaz, but Im not sure all folks realize what a treasure Pyramid is.

Good luck either way. Let us know how you do.

MKE
03-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Hands down Pyramid! Especially if you have a choice but that's just my bias opinion. Like others have said if you want some truck trout with an occasional holdover on a stringer for dinner then Topaz would be your best bet. But if you want a chance at a trophy 10# 15# or even a 20#+ trout then go to Pryamid.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

hooks
03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Then again, Jetspray just recently caught a tagged trout at Topaz worth $100.00

hmmmm.....

Spinner
03-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Personally, I've had carp fight better then cutthroats, kinda like fighting walleye. That's just my opinion. Rarely EVER take to the air! Big river fish that's where it's at! I hear the tube is putting out nice browns.

Jetspray
03-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Heading up north tomorrow to do some fishing. Anyone have any recs on which lake is best to fish from shore right now? Thinking either Pyramid or Topaz. Never been to either, but heard some great things on both. Been trying to read up as much as possible on both lakes, including the 101 on Pyramid.

Thanks for the help!I wish you the best of luck which ever you choose. I like Topaz because it is easier for me to access and it has tagged fish. This tag stuff will end soon, but for eating any fish I choose Topaz because of the amount of holdover trout, that school around eating everything they see. Their meat is in great color too. Pyramid is 95 miles from my doorstep, Topaz is a short drive, I might be taking that tomorrow myself. Thanks for the honorable mention too Don (Hooks):vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26::vrolij k_26::vrolijk_26::laugh::moneybag1:..Jetspray

okie
03-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Personally, I've had carp fight better then cutthroats, kinda like fighting walleye. That's just my opinion. Rarely EVER take to the air! Big river fish that's where it's at! I hear the tube is putting out nice browns.

I agree with you, imho, its because the cuts at pyramid do not really fight currents like the river fish, back in
Oklahoma my mother and stepfather only fished for carp below the ft Gibson dam, and channel cats in the
Arkansas river. that was about 60 years ago.
be safe

hooks
03-21-2019, 02:08 PM
I agree with you, imho, its because the cuts at pyramid do not really fight currents like the river fish, back in
Oklahoma my mother and stepfather only fished for carp below the ft Gibson dam, and channel cats in the
Arkansas river. that was about 60 years ago.
be safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWheGjN-Jak

okie
03-21-2019, 04:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWheGjN-Jak

thanks, I don't think I've heard that since before I left Oklahoma. I know it was popular when I was a kid.
be safe

hooks
03-21-2019, 05:06 PM
thanks, I don't think I've heard that since before I left Oklahoma. I know it was popular when I was a kid.
be safe

​Original release date Aug. 1930

Honeyboy And Sassafras

https://secondhandsongs.com/picture/64015

okie
03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
planing on hitting the mid tomorrow with don, hope the weather holds, supposedly
its going to start getting nasty Friday according to the 5pm weather.
be safe

Jetspray
03-22-2019, 12:43 AM
planing on hitting the mid tomorrow with don, hope the weather holds, supposedly
its going to start getting nasty Friday according to the 5pm weather.
be safe
Good Luck Don & Okie, going to try Topaz today. Up early 27 degrees here, but this is for you:sonar::bananasplits::bananasplits::bananasplit s::fish_jumps:....Jetspray

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=rev&sid=rev&pil=rec

hooks
03-22-2019, 03:21 AM
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/newpyrlk.php

The reading at 4AM at the Sutcliffe remote weather station says winds at 11mph with gusts at 16mph out of the N/E(31*)

Still may be able to fish at Pelican?

Spinner
03-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Ya, I'm chasing Dinos/stripers tomorrow. Be back Sunday for local fish.