PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Trout Opener.

Captain Compassion
04-19-2019, 04:54 PM
On 4/27 the general trout season opens in California. Who's going and where are you going? For the last 12 years I have opened on the Carson River. This streak comes to an end this year. Today Alpine County announced that they will not be stocking the rivers for the opener this year. The state of California will not be stocking either. California may drop a few fish in Markleeville Creek. I think that high flows is the issue here. I could try the West Walker but that is blown out as well. Ah well. Let us know your thoughts.

CC

hooks
04-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Lotsa water out there this year. I'm thinking you want areas closer to where you live. If not then I would try Prosser Creek that dumps into Prosser Lake up stream from Highway 89.

Stream from Prosser that flows to the Truckee River.

Sagehen Creek from 89 to Stampede.

Truckee River from 1000' below the dam at Fanny Bridge in Tahoe City to Truckee. Bike path may be flooded in some spots

Check regs and watch out for private property.

Again....lotsa water this year.

If I fish it will be at Pyramid....lol

Captain Compassion
04-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Just bummed because my usual opener is blown out. Bridgeport and Twin Lakes are in range.

Jfitalia
04-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Just bummed because my usual opener is blown out. Bridgeport and Twin Lakes are in range.

I'd think ICR should be fishing well. Was thinking about taking a trip but not if the streams are dead. They are usually our fall back plan

GoneCountry
04-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Been some time since I have posted, I get out to fish but not so easy . I now live about 1 hr from the Carson but The Mormon Emigrant Road is not passable due to snow. River fishing for me is probably not a good idea . Unless there is a dock or something. Bummer to hear its a blowout. I will be following you Capt. in your travels..............................

Jetspray
04-20-2019, 05:45 AM
Been some time since I have posted, I get out to fish but not so easy . I now live about 1 hr from the Carson but The Mormon Emigrant Road is not passable due to snow. River fishing for me is probably not a good idea . Unless there is a dock or something. Bummer to hear its a blowout. I will be following you Capt. in your travels..............................We hope to see you over sometime, but the high waters alone will probably leave us to only a few lakes including Topaz for now. If I get a release on the 24th to use the boat, I will be looking at that this week. Since the lack of plants is happening it may curtail where we go as well. Again hope you are feeling better:sick:I am still on the mend......Jetspray

jive0400
04-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Truckee river threw Reno is at 4000cfs or higher. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jetspray
04-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Truckee river threw Reno is at 4000cfs or higher. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fire hydrant fishing at it's best, stay away in deed, Reno does have a rescue unit, but who wants them to practice on you anyway......Jetspray

Fish-on
04-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Fire hydrant fishing at it's best, stay away in deed, Reno does have a rescue unit, but who wants them to practice on you anyway......Jetspray

That is funny....rescue unit practicing on you! I know this is a serious subject but the comment just made me laugh

burninfuel
04-20-2019, 05:53 PM
any info about Cali changing the reg on Topaz and others to all year access ?

Jetspray
04-20-2019, 06:27 PM
any info about Cali changing the reg on Topaz and others to all year access ?It would be interesting if they do, no opener and bad conditions during the year with limited access to launches...Ö..Jetspray

Captain Compassion
04-20-2019, 07:11 PM
Both forks of the Carson have near record flows for this time of year. With warm days and nights predicted up to the opener things will only get worse.

CC

CAL.NDN
04-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Guess none of your post opener river pictures this year Richard? Lol wasn't there people already fishing this time last year on your scout trips.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stefanoflo
04-21-2019, 03:55 PM
Im glad we have water . The fishing will come to life as the rivers get in shape.
Wheres there is fish, you will find water!!!!!!!!!!! and we got lot of it!
and if the streams are to out of shape . Get a guide and hit a lake just to get the tug is my drug thing taken care of .

CAL.NDN
04-21-2019, 04:16 PM
I will most likely fish some river somewhere opening day. High water is not a issue if you know how to fish it, and there is still holdovers all over they dont just go away.

CAL.NDN
04-21-2019, 04:21 PM
And I know how to fish lakes without a guide to get my tug. Plus I dont have a tandem kayak.

Captain Compassion
04-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Guess none of your post opener river pictures this year Richard? Lol wasn't there people already fishing this time last year on your scout trips.

Thinking of hitting ICR mid week. Might take a peek at the river then. The East Carson flows within 1/2 mile of my home. It is brown and ugly.

CC

CAL.NDN
04-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Ok thanks but if you get a chance let me see how ugly.

Jetspray
04-22-2019, 04:35 AM
Ok thanks but if you get a chance let me see how ugly.

I have a dr's apt on Wed. and am feeling under the weather presently. If I go we will take a look around to see the other rivers around ICR.:captjack:..Ö.Jetspray

Spinner
04-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Bridgeport res. it's always hot on the opener! Pull those rapala's!!! Also nightcrawlers, blown up or with marshmellow/powerbait! Raise them off the bottom! The bug hatches are happening in the aft.,( for those fly people). Some big trout will be caught and heavy limits, for the locals!

fishwrong2
04-22-2019, 08:38 AM
I've read some pretty good articles about stream fishing in high early seasons flows. Several of them from folks here. For me, it's an opportunity to explore. Finding small backwaters, eddies and places the fish will get out of the heavy current. They still have to eat, and high flows eliminate 90% of the water. I have had success bait fishing similar stripers in the river. Fat night crawler with scent plunked done in a slow current area and wait for a bite. Very different than a drag-free drift, stealth approach but it can be deadly.

Not going to get into a lot of fresh planters under those conditions so the fish count will be less, but definitely a chance at the fish that have been in the river all winter, and those are more of an accomplishment to me. Just my 2 Cents. Enjoy.

BigUnInDaBoat
04-22-2019, 09:29 AM
Meh, I'm over the opener, when there is 1/2 mile between you and the next guy and some googan walks up and fishes ten feet away.

Jetspray
04-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Meh, I'm over the opener, when there is 1/2 mile between you and the next guy and some googan walks up and fishes ten feet away.I call it combat fishing, and not many have any manners even when they are not catching and they see you pull in a hog or two. My favorite was a few years back, when a couple of young guys were drinking and smoking pot right next to me (prior to law changes) and I told them that the ranger checks for lic's on most of the openers. They ignored me, but the ranger did show up, you should have seen them getting rid of the evidence, what a kick.:sonar::hitfish::turkydance1::turkydance1::tu rkydance1::turkydance1::turkydance1:..Ö..Jetspray

Jetspray
04-26-2019, 04:45 AM
"I might take my auto and give a look tomorrow, but I do not think I will be fishing, gear and license will be along though......Jetspray

CAL.NDN
04-26-2019, 05:25 AM
It's almost twice the river it was from the Tuesday pictures that were posted. Last night and this morning chart. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/a0611fc05567a34b42e4ec267fb4d367.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/61e44bb75ac384407003ac3afed36753.jpg

MKE
04-26-2019, 05:50 AM
It's almost twice the river it was from the Tuesday pictures that were posted. Last night and this morning chart. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/a0611fc05567a34b42e4ec267fb4d367.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190426/61e44bb75ac384407003ac3afed36753.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkYes it is. I went yesterday after work and found a few creeks that are good to go but the water temperature was a bit cold. Maybe I'll just take the boat out in the big lake this weekend and fish the rivers next week in the evenings.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

CAL.NDN
04-26-2019, 06:03 AM
Yea I hate to back out and been on lakes all winter but that is ripping now.

Markj2k4
04-26-2019, 06:43 AM
good luck tomorrow friends! Stay safe and be vigilant

Jetspray
04-26-2019, 03:27 PM
A few years ago I went out on an opener and it was cold with ice on the roads. It is always different, I don't think there will be any combat fishing going on:oregonian_winesmile...Ö.Jetspray

Ashton
04-27-2019, 08:40 PM
First post here. I went out today for my first ever trout opening day and hit up the Bear River. I got on at Dog Bar and hiked up-river a few hundred yards to a few pools north of the bridge. The water was running fast and high and visibility was about 1.5-2 feet. I didn't get any bites, may be a nibble or two.

I started off with a blue and silver kastmaster (i'm so newbie, I don't know my weights yet). Then I switched to a black and yellow panther martin gold blade. Neither of those anything. I am pretty sure I didn't have my kastmaster tied into a ring or a swivel, so it's action was probably junk. I then lost it in a tree, so that will be a well won prize if anyone can get to it. I switched to grubs, both a ribbon-tail and a swimbait. I had one size 3 split shot on the line (I remember the package, cause I had to go get heavier ones) and my casts were going far enough, but the current was pushing it to fast for it to sink and I don't think I ever presented in the fisho's faces, so they didn't have anything to try and strike at. When I went to the fishing shop afterwards, the guy told me the trout love the classic nightcrawlers and worms. I will be doing so, and had a gulp worm hooked up to try before I had to leave the river.

I just played at the two or three holes I found, practiced casting and retrieving, tying knots and changing tactics. I enjoyed the few hours I had to be on the river and my learned how to operate my shimano sedona 500 series on a 7ft Ugly Stick lite. I went and got the heavier split shots, and I am going to try bullet weights all in an effort to get my baits down towards the bottom of this high water.

dsa2780
04-27-2019, 09:22 PM
First post here. I went out today for my first ever trout opening day and hit up the Bear River. I got on at Dog Bar and hiked up-river a few hundred yards to a few pools north of the bridge. The water was running fast and high and visibility was about 1.5-2 feet. I didn't get any bites, may be a nibble or two.

I started off with a blue and silver kastmaster (i'm so newbie, I don't know my weights yet). Then I switched to a black and yellow panther martin gold blade. Neither of those anything. I am pretty sure I didn't have my kastmaster tied into a ring or a swivel, so it's action was probably junk. I then lost it in a tree, so that will be a well won prize if anyone can get to it. I switched to grubs, both a ribbon-tail and a swimbait. I had one size 3 split shot on the line (I remember the package, cause I had to go get heavier ones) and my casts were going far enough, but the current was pushing it to fast for it to sink and I don't think I ever presented in the fisho's faces, so they didn't have anything to try and strike at. When I went to the fishing shop afterwards, the guy told me the trout love the classic nightcrawlers and worms. I will be doing so, and had a gulp worm hooked up to try before I had to leave the river.

I just played at the two or three holes I found, practiced casting and retrieving, tying knots and changing tactics. I enjoyed the few hours I had to be on the river and my learned how to operate my shimano sedona 500 series on a 7ft Ugly Stick lite. I went and got the heavier split shots, and I am going to try bullet weights all in an effort to get my baits down towards the bottom of this high water.

Good call on that with the worms. Where itís legal, they canít be beat.

Little gulp minnows or micro flukes on jigheads are also killer and itís a relatively easy system that can be fished at numerous depths.

Stickman
04-27-2019, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the boards, Ashton! Thank you for the post on your opening day efforts. Generally you will find trout very near the bottom in moving water which means it takes more weight in higher, faster spring run-off fishing than you would use when targeting trout with the same offering in a lake. I agree with the tips that DSA2780 offered on baits to use and would add that you can use a jig head with a live worm as well, to get down into the strike zone. Depending on the run you are targeting, it might also be helpful to run your bait rig under a float (bobber) - experimenting with different depths until you get a s\trike.

fishwrong2
04-28-2019, 10:01 AM
ď.... I enjoyed the few hours I had on the river....Ē

Thats a win, fish caught or no. Reading articles and chat boards provides good information, but nothing beats time on the water. Just as much to be learned from no-fish enjoyable time on the water as anything else. Keep going, trying different things and youíll do just fine.

Thanks for the report.