PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Spots up by HWY 50 or 88 tomorrow?

yell0wshirt
04-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Planning on heading up and fishing north tomorrow from the Bay Area. Been fishing Tabeaud the past few months with good success. Was wondering if anyone has any recs on spots to fish up by Lake Tabeaud off of HWY 88 or anything up off of 50 past Jenkinson Lake? Last month I went up to Ice House, but it still looked frozen over.

Will just be shore fishing, but I have set ups for lures and a fly rig too if that helps for locations.

Thanks for the help!

fishwrong2
04-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Ice House should be thawed. Gerle Creek is a little gem early in the season if you can get there. Someone said Loon was still frozen last week, but itís a good place to hit at ice out if you hit it right.

Unfortunately I donít have any first hand reports. Good luck if you go.

yell0wshirt
04-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Ice House should be thawed. Gerle Creek is a little gem early in the season if you can get there. Someone said Loon was still frozen last week, but itís a good place to hit at ice out if you hit it right.

Unfortunately I donít have any first hand reports. Good luck if you go.

How do you get to Gerle Creek? If you dont mind sharing? Any recs on lures to use?

Thank you!

Stickman
04-28-2019, 07:15 PM
How do you get to Gerle Creek? If you dont mind sharing? Any recs on lures to use?

Thank you!

Couldn't get this to post as a link. Copy and Paste into your browser.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gerle+Creek+Divide+Reservoir/@38.9084867,-120.4489456,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x809a3326dc789b79:0x991d491bcaf1f 36a!8m2!3d38.9682067!4d-120.3932671

fishwrong2
04-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Ice House Road turns into Wentworth Springs Road. When you get to the cutoff to Loon go straight and follow the signs. Gerle has browns and doesnít get planted so please follow catch and release ethics.

Smaller spoons and 2Ē power minnows fished quick and eradicate seem to work. Fly guys strip streamers and soak nymphs. They can be very picky and itís not a planter rainbow lake, but it does have some nice fish. Please treat accordingly. Good luck.

The Creek upstream has lots of little brookies as a backup plan.

yell0wshirt
04-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Drove up early this morning. Ice House is clear and open, the road to Wrights is still covered in snow.

Looon is still covered as well. I tried to go to Gerle, but there's no access, gates are all still closed. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to park and walk in or not. Sounds like some of the gates will open up May 1st.

I did see a planter truck today at Ice House as I was leaving. Saw a few anglers on shore and one boat.

Drove up to a spot I fish on the Silverfork and it's flowing big time. Not going to be able to access anything for awhile.

Anyone ever have any luck fishing silver creek or is there even any fish in there? I tried to fish some of the slower moving spots, but access is tough for both fly and lure fishing.

thanks for the help everyone.

fishwrong2
04-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Sorry it wasn't the most productive trip, but hope it was enjoyable non the less. Big winter this year which is a blessing for the water, but definitely delays the spring fishing a fair bit.

I've caught at total of one 16" brown out of the South Fork of Silver Creek between Ice House and Junction Reservoir out of the three times I've fished that section, and I sacrificed a fair amount of skin bushwhacking to get it. I thought they stocked it with rainbows near the Ice House Resort at one time, but don't know about currently. I expect some fish make their way down from Ice House and there are wild rainbows and brookies in most of those creeks, but they're typically quite small. I'm not aware of a lot of put and take rainbow plants in creeks in the area. The Silver and South Forks of the American get some plants each year, but not anything like the Carson or lakes do.

Echetino
04-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm not at all familiar with any of that area, but it looks beautiful.

stefanoflo
04-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Google the Moke river area , Look at Tiger creek Res or bear River res. are good spots, salt springs had the states Biggest Trout caught a few years Back or Fish the Bridge at Middle Bar and wait for the Trout to come upstream from Pardee Res. Bring beer food and a Crab Net /Your good to go. or hit the Stan river at Big trees state park or Sourgrass area /Boards crossing if the snow all gone .

yell0wshirt
04-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Google the Moke river area , Look at Tiger creek Res or bear River res. are good spots, salt springs had the states Biggest Trout caught a few years Back or Fish the Bridge at Middle Bar and wait for the Trout to come upstream from Pardee Res. Bring beer food and a Crab Net /Your good to go. or hit the Stan river at Big trees state park or Sourgrass area /Boards crossing if the snow all gone .

I actually think access to Tiger Creek is still down. I tried to get there a few months ago, but the Road was partially washed out so Caltrans had closed it and blocked it off. There were active members of caltrans turning cars around to get to Tiger creek. Bear river was still frozen over two weeks ago, but it may have thawed with all the warm weather.

In the Moke River area, are all of the streams usually pretty active with fish. I've just fished Silverfork off of 50 and the upper Sac by redding in regards to streams and fly fishing.

Does anyone have any tips on the carson river up by highway 88/89 crossing? My friend has a cabin up that way and i'm planning on going up there in June. Looks like it could be decent, just not sure about the fishing. I know Silver Lake has fish, been catching rainbows there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

stefanoflo
04-30-2019, 02:34 PM
I actually think access to Tiger Creek is still down. I tried to get there a few months ago, but the Road was partially washed out so Caltrans had closed it and blocked it off. There were active members of caltrans turning cars around to get to Tiger creek. Bear river was still frozen over two weeks ago, but it may have thawed with all the warm weather.

In the Moke River area, are all of the streams usually pretty active with fish. I've just fished Silverfork off of 50 and the upper Sac by redding in regards to streams and fly fishing.

Does anyone have any tips on the carson river up by highway 88/89 crossing? My friend has a cabin up that way and i'm planning on going up there in June. Looks like it could be decent, just not sure about the fishing. I know Silver Lake has fish, been catching rainbows there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

That river does not get planted Electra (Moke) so your relying on Pardee planted fish coming upstream and Tiger creek fish that are Mainly generations of wild fish to have a good spawn year. Browns are self sustaining if you can get them . the Bows are small in the 7-8 inch range because they are native and they don`t plant there anymore Electra Rd Outside of Jackson has always been good, but Hard to get fish because flows fluctuate. as is Fishing .Its a hard gig ,but the rewards are tasty. Try The upstream water from the PGE generator at Tiger . or just fish the Lake it self . Outsdie the Sunbathers at Electra . Fishing and Site seeing can be interesting!!!!if not Illegal!

fishrman4life1957
04-30-2019, 02:57 PM
You can walk into gerle creek. The fish are all native german brown trout . The last time i went up there i used crickets for bait . The orange and brown power bait is good also .
It's fun lake to fish or just relax . The fish are finicky and if you do catch one they are fun to catch . Just do the c and r .
The best part of the lake is no power boats or electric powered boats. Just non- powered boats only.

gbslade
05-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Tiger Creek Road is closed. According to the Forest Service the roads that allow access to Salt Springs are either still snow bound or closed due to storm damage.

The Moke is running very high below all reservoirs. Use caution if you fish. Last Friday a kayaker had to be rescued from the Electra run. Capsized upstream of the 49 bridge. Found alive later at Middle Bar.

stefanoflo
05-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Tiger Creek Road is closed. According to the Forest Service the roads that allow access to Salt Springs are either still snow bound or closed due to storm damage.

The Moke is running very high below all reservoirs. Use caution if you fish. Last Friday a kayaker had to be rescued from the Electra run. Capsized upstream of the 49 bridge. Found alive later at Middle Bar.

I was there on the 21st and I still saw 2 rafts with Dogs and People on it floating down stream from that beach area Upstream They did have helmets on and Life jackets and even the dogs had the jackets on so I hope it was not them . They seems to be veterans at doing it , but then again the water and the current control your life at High Flows ,Common thinking does not!!!!

yell0wshirt
05-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Ice House Road turns into Wentworth Springs Road. When you get to the cutoff to Loon go straight and follow the signs. Gerle has browns and doesnít get planted so please follow catch and release ethics.

Smaller spoons and 2Ē power minnows fished quick and eradicate seem to work. Fly guys strip streamers and soak nymphs. They can be very picky and itís not a planter rainbow lake, but it does have some nice fish. Please treat accordingly. Good luck.

The Creek upstream has lots of little brookies as a backup plan.

Are you talking about fishing the reservoir itself? The creek upstream being Gerle Creek at the north point of the reservoir or angel creek to the east? Does the South Park of Gerle Creek (the actual creek) have fish in it too? Iíd like to try and catch a brook, never caught one before! Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishwrong2
05-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Are you talking about fishing the reservoir itself? The creek upstream being Gerle Creek at the north point of the reservoir or angel creek to the east? Does the South Park of Gerle Creek (the actual creek) have fish in it too? Iíd like to try and catch a brook, never caught one before! Thanks for the help!!

Gerle creek between Loon Lake and Gerle Creek Reservoir. There fish downstream of the Reservoir too. Name changes to the Rubicon River downstream of the lake if youíre looking at a map. There are Rainbows, Brookies and Browns in the creeks but theyíre generally pretty small. Pretty buggers though...

yell0wshirt
05-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Gerle creek between Loon Lake and Gerle Creek Reservoir. There fish downstream of the Reservoir too. Name changes to the Rubicon River downstream of the lake if youíre looking at a map. There are Rainbows, Brookies and Browns in the creeks but theyíre generally pretty small. Pretty buggers though...

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Iíll have to try the reservoir (Iíve never caught a brown either) and then maybe the creek between Gerle reservoir and Loon. Been fishing all my life and never caught a brown or brook. So sad! Hopefully Iíll be able to do some backpacking to try my luck at a Golden this summer too.

fishwrong2
05-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the help. Iíll have to try the reservoir (Iíve never caught a brown either) and then maybe the creek between Gerle reservoir and Loon. Been fishing all my life and never caught a brown or brook. So sad! Hopefully Iíll be able to do some backpacking to try my luck at a Golden this summer too.

Pretty fish. Most of the creeks in the area have the little brookies. Browns are somewhat rare. Mepps #1 spinners work well. I actually do better casting upstream and retrieving them down current. Kind of counter intuitive but itís a reaction bite. Also helps the stealth aspect as theyíre facing into the current and you can work your way upstream. I also like to move somewhat quickly. If youíre going to get bit it will be the first couple of casts. Not very effective to make repetitive casts that way.

Opposite side of the spectrum is to drift fish a small piece of worm under a bobber. Down side of doing it is they tend to swallow it, and youíve got a dead 6Ē trout. If you do it I recommend very small circle hooks. Theyíre kind of hard to find, but they are around. Circle hooks hook fish in the jaw as it pulls out of the mouth. Theyíre not as effective drift fishing this way but they donít gut hook fish which is important with the little guys.

There are a few lakes in Desolation Wilderness that have Goldens. A few off the 88 corridor too. None of them I know of are easy to get to, but theyíre around if youíre willing to put in the miles. One other place to check is the creeks below those lakes. Itís amazing how small some of those creeks are that hold fish. You can step across several.

Lots of off the beaten path options in the area.

yell0wshirt
05-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Pretty fish. Most of the creeks in the area have the little brookies. Browns are somewhat rare. Mepps #1 spinners work well. I actually do better casting upstream and retrieving them down current. Kind of counter intuitive but itís a reaction bite. Also helps the stealth aspect as theyíre facing into the current and you can work your way upstream. I also like to move somewhat quickly. If youíre going to get bit it will be the first couple of casts. Not very effective to make repetitive casts that way.

Opposite side of the spectrum is to drift fish a small piece of worm under a bobber. Down side of doing it is they tend to swallow it, and youíve got a dead 6Ē trout. If you do it I recommend very small circle hooks. Theyíre kind of hard to find, but they are around. Circle hooks hook fish in the jaw as it pulls out of the mouth. Theyíre not as effective drift fishing this way but they donít gut hook fish which is important with the little guys.

There are a few lakes in Desolation Wilderness that have Goldens. A few off the 88 corridor too. None of them I know of are easy to get to, but theyíre around if youíre willing to put in the miles. One other place to check is the creeks below those lakes. Itís amazing how small some of those creeks are that hold fish. You can step across several.

Lots of off the beaten path options in the area.

Went up to Gerle today. Fished the reservoir at two different entrances. I had to walk in today. Theyíre doing some work at the dam and up north near the campsites (wood chipping). The water is about 60F right now, fairly clear, but also shallow at the bank, so hard to get lures out there. Got skunked. Never fished here so wasnít sure what to use. The creek are running pretty high. There are high water signs all over the area, warning about creek over flows.

Iíd like to fish the creeks someday, just not sure where to start.

Drove up to Loon to see if I could access part of Gerle Creek, but my car doesnít do well in snow. Most of Loon is ice and snow free now.

Campsites and lakes are supposed to open 5/24. Lots of SMUD cars and trucks getting things open today.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/cb9850411cb3b1bf65d4ecb673caaa9d.jpg
Gerle

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/e98039d47833c34338c73026624905b3.jpg
Loon Lake

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/b9a7f7f3a04880a741af7f955cfd89df.jpg
Ice House (water is up SUPER high. Need waders if you want anything to get out deep right now)

macfish
05-21-2019, 08:40 AM
They were doing a lot of work on Gerle camp ground and trails last year and the east side of the lake was closed. What amazed me was how well everything has recovered from the fire in that area. You do have to be aware of the dangers of the river /creek flows as they are controlled. The NID ditch has fish in it to, but you have to be sneaky not to spook them.

yell0wshirt
05-21-2019, 08:43 AM
They were doing a lot of work on Gerle camp ground and trails last year and the east side of the lake was closed. What amazed me was how well everything has recovered from the fire in that area. You do have to be aware of the dangers of the river /creek flows as they are controlled. The NID ditch has fish in it to, but you have to be sneaky not to spook them.

Is NID by Gerle or something?

fishwrong2
05-21-2019, 10:17 AM
There's a canal that comes out of Gerle Creek Reservoir and runs down to the South Fork of the Rubicon to a powerhouse. I believe it's operated by SMUD. I expect it was just a mixup between SMUD and NID. Possibly something I don't know too, but yes there are fish in it at times. They do drain it on occasion, so it's just fish washed down from the Rubicon or out of Gerle in there.

macfish
05-21-2019, 10:34 AM
https://nidwater.com/about-nid/history/

fishwrong2
05-21-2019, 12:03 PM
https://nidwater.com/about-nid/history/

They have some cool places I wish I had more experience with. Similar history to PG&E, SMUD, EID and Placer County Water Agency. They all run some very complex water and power projects. Just a different watershed is all.

ucsbfisherman
05-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Drove up early this morning. Ice House is clear and open, the road to Wrights is still covered in snow.

Looon is still covered as well. I tried to go to Gerle, but there's no access, gates are all still closed. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to park and walk in or not. Sounds like some of the gates will open up May 1st.

I did see a planter truck today at Ice House as I was leaving. Saw a few anglers on shore and one boat.

Drove up to a spot I fish on the Silverfork and it's flowing big time. Not going to be able to access anything for awhile.

Anyone ever have any luck fishing silver creek or is there even any fish in there? I tried to fish some of the slower moving spots, but access is tough for both fly and lure fishing.

thanks for the help everyone.

Silver is tough fishing. I hiked in last year below Junction and spent a few hours down there. Eventually found a good hole and just hit it relentlessly until I hooked up with one hard fighting but small bow. Got him on the finesse with cured roe. Beautiful colors and tasted wonderful!

Err869
05-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Silver is at extremely high flows and there was about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground earlier in the week. According to the DFW site and some local gossip the south fork of the American was planted this week up near camp Sacramento. Every lake is extremely full and every creek is at high flows. Good Luck and Stay Dry!!!

yell0wshirt
05-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Silver is tough fishing. I hiked in last year below Junction and spent a few hours down there. Eventually found a good hole and just hit it relentlessly until I hooked up with one hard fighting but small bow. Got him on the finesse with cured roe. Beautiful colors and tasted wonderful!

If you donít mind me asking, where is junction? Iíve gone fishing near China flat campground before, but I find it hard to hike in some places. Thanks for the help!

fishwrong2
05-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Junction Reservoir is just below Union Valley Reservoir. There is easy access to the Reservoir but itís a tough hike to get to the creek below. Very steep canyon.

Thats a gorgeous fish UCSB....

burninfuel
05-26-2019, 09:48 AM
We use to launch a 14' aluminum on trailer at the waters edge, 2 track road all the way down, tough when iced up on the trail

fishwrong2
05-26-2019, 04:55 PM
We use to launch a 14' aluminum on trailer at the waters edge, 2 track road all the way down, tough when iced up on the trail

Ive heard legends of some big fish in there, but you couldnít tell by my results. Only fished twice, once from a canoe with rod guides icing up. Saw one dead planter rainbow that looked like it may have taken the ride from Union was all I was able to come up with.

I do look down on it and wonder what might be down there every time I launch at the Union Valley dam.

burninfuel
05-26-2019, 05:39 PM
check my posts about the 16#er that my buddy netted for stream fisherman

Talon
05-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Junction Reservoir is just below Union Valley Reservoir. There is easy access to the Reservoir but itís a tough hike to get to the creek below. Very steep canyon.

Thats a gorgeous fish UCSB.... You aren't kidding about how steep the canyon is. I just pulled it up on a topographic map.

hooks
05-27-2019, 12:12 PM
check my posts about the 16#er that my buddy netted for stream fisherman

I can't find it. Where is it or is there a link?

ucsbfisherman
06-02-2019, 09:09 PM
You aren't kidding about how steep the canyon is. I just pulled it up on a topographic map.

Yeah, it's a serious decent but thankfully the utility that operates the dam has put in a staircase. It's a really scary staircase, but still a lot easier than scrambling down!

burninfuel
06-03-2019, 09:03 AM
I can't find it. Where is it or is there a link?

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/images/statusicon/user-online.png
Senior Memberhttp://fishsniffer.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12499_1.gif (http://fishsniffer.com/forums/member.php?u=12499)Join DateDec 2004LocationCarson Valley NevadaAge66Posts351Post Thanks / Like http://fishsniffer.com/forums/images/buttons/collapse_40b.png (http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135142&highlight=Junction#top)

Re: Junction Reservoir
We fished it many times, while at the end of 2 track trail, Tim had to wait while bank fisherman was fighting a fish, trailer ready to go in but something big was on hit ultra lite .
Used boat net to land a 16# on a scale, hook jawed brown that was hooked in the small stream spilling into the junction.
Another time outboard wouldn't start so used oars to fish old school style, hooked more than the usual average.
Most of the time the Junction is covered with floating wood and bark, 30-50% of the surface, back when we had lots of rain and snow

Last edited by burninfuel; 08-19-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: more

Err869
06-05-2019, 07:23 PM
SMUD just spent the week stocking their lakes up in crystal basin. Not little guys either, everything going in is supposedly larger than 18 with several trophyís as well!