PDA

View Full Version : crawfish

Robertash20
05-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Any one use crawdads in lakes for big trout? is it better to float fish them so they cant get into the rocks? ive been reading that trophy browns cant ignore a small 2" molted crawdad. Im assuming you hooj them through the tail?

hooks
05-02-2019, 10:54 AM
I've used them in streams and rivers before, just the tail, with minimal success. I was getting bit but couldn't get a decent hook set and they spit it really fast.

I know that the rainbows in Tahoe love them. We caught nice big rainbows trolling flashers and live minnows and some of them were gorged full with crawdads....and small pebbles that they sucked in eating them.

bigfin
05-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Any one use crawdads in lakes for big trout? is it better to float fish them so they cant get into the rocks? ive been reading that trophy browns cant ignore a small 2" molted crawdad. Im assuming you hooj them through the tail?

Well the name fits . Yes big trout love dads . I would use the whole thing just for natural appearance and fish it carolina rigged with a large enough egg sinker so the dad cant move it, and put the hook thru the back and come out the tail just enough to keep it on the hook & not kill it , plus if you keep a tight line it cant go to far anyway . My buddy just got a 12lb hog that had whole dads in it stomach so there you go . Man I wish I had a 2 inch molted dad right now!!

Tightlines BF

Jetspray
05-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Hey fellas something like this?:lobster:...Ö...Jetspray

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-LURES-D-CRAW/1734733.uts?slotId=4

Owlman2
05-02-2019, 07:52 PM
I can tell you that every large rainbow or brown (over 10#)I have caught have had crawdads in them.

But I have never tried to use live craws or a simulation for trout. As I sit here writing this....I wonder why.

Jetspray
05-02-2019, 08:44 PM
I can tell you that every large rainbow or brown (over 10#)I have caught have had crawdads in them.

But I have never tried to use live craws or a simulation for trout. As I sit here writing this....I wonder why.I was thinking of the same thing and maybe a try at jigging them at Topaz. They are starting to show up, but Topaz has a bunch of carp and they look for the same things.:cool:....Jetspray

hooks
05-03-2019, 03:43 AM
I’ve used this fly to catch trout in streams. Not this particular fly. Twins to it though.

hooks
05-03-2019, 03:50 AM
Iíve used this fly to catch trout in streams. Not this particular fly. Twins to it though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190503/273d9061ea9ff6d432ed4af37e846846.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetspray
05-03-2019, 04:03 AM
That looks good Don, I would eat it.:unconscious::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_2 6::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26:.....Jetspray

hooks
05-03-2019, 04:09 AM
That looks good Don, I would eat it.:unconscious::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_2 6::vrolijk_26::vrolijk_26:.....Jetspray

It's the last one. I'd have to remember how to tie it too. lol

Jetspray
05-03-2019, 04:19 AM
It's the last one. I'd have to remember how to tie it too. lol At this point in my life I have trouble tying my shoes, and knots are a problem too:cheers1::git:...Ö.Jetspray

Robertash20
05-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Well the name fits . Yes big trout love dads . I would use the whole thing just for natural appearance and fish it carolina rigged with a large enough egg sinker so the dad cant move it, and put the hook thru the back and come out the tail just enough to keep it on the hook & not kill it , plus if you keep a tight line it cant go to far anyway . My buddy just got a 12lb hog that had whole dads in it stomach so there you go . Man I wish I had a 2 inch molted dad right now!!

Tightlines BF
Thanks Big fin never thought of using a carolina rig

TBSP
05-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Used to live near Lake Chabot in the late 60ís - early 70ís and that lake had an abundance of crawdads back then. They were easy to catch and we would hook them through the tail with a split shot a foot or so up the line. Move them a bit about every 30 seconds. Caught a lot of nice bass and catfish doing that. Even an 18 lb. carp once but only one trout about 20 inches.

fishwrong2
05-04-2019, 07:31 AM
What am I doing wrong? Sounds like some folks are cleaning 10 pound trout weekly.��

I’ve tried crawdads for everything from trout to Sturgeon and only ever had much success on smallmouth, and wrapped on kwikfish for salmon. I’ve read a lot about using them but for some reason never had a lot of success. I expect it’s a matter of patience and dialing in a technique, but you couldn’t tell by my results.

Good luck and let us know what works for you.

hooks
05-04-2019, 09:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMgAkYdsQt0&t=631s

hooks
05-04-2019, 09:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdbDKZXLcs&t=36s