PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite

Fish-on
05-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Heading to Yosemite next week for 5 days. I bet the Merced River flowing through the park is raging right now with all the run off but anyone have any first hand knowledge of the area? Hopefully the trails are somewhat clear of snow because I will probably do more hiking then fishing. I think most of the lakes on the east side of the park are probably snowed in as well.

fishwrong2
05-30-2019, 05:11 AM
Not this season, but Hetch Hetchy has a good population of Browns in it. 1/4 - 3/8 oz spoons work well

Good luck, should be beautiful.

UsualSuspect
05-30-2019, 09:53 AM
It was 25+ years ago. Not sure what the regs are now, but as a kid we use to have good luck with a fly and bobber on the creeks that feed into the Merced.

Jetspray
05-30-2019, 10:19 AM
I am old enough to have seen the "Firefall" there, my wife lost a brother to that river in the 60's, be very careful around it and safe...Ö.Jetspray

Fish-on
05-30-2019, 10:48 AM
I thought about Hetch Hetchy but that is a road trip from the valley and I donít think my wife would appreciate it if I took off all day.

I found out the Merced River is running real fast and real cold so that probably isnít an option either. The roads going into the east side of the park is closed so that is t an option either.

Guess Iíll be hiking and drinking beer.

MtnFisher
05-31-2019, 05:01 AM
I am old enough to have seen the "Firefall" there, my wife lost a brother to that river in the 60's, be very careful around it and safe...Ö.JetsprayYep, be very cautious. One slip is all it takes this time of year. Massive runoff soon due to higher temps coming.

Happens too often unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RideNfish
05-31-2019, 01:20 PM
I know the high water isn't ideal but still can be very productive. Fish tight to the bank and I mean tighter than you think any fish would be. Breaks of current next to shore and dangle your presentation. I would cast to them most the time but when brush or other obstacles are in the way I would just be stealthy and have a few feet of line hanging from rod tip and lay into the slack water. Works well in in these cases. After all the fish are still in there and they ain't in the middle. :)