PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge Lake Trout

Hookem-up
07-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Had a great trip fishing Flaming Gorge Reservoir June 21 - 28 with good friends. I would like to recognize Wyoming and Utah for their management of the Gorge fishery. It's evident they value wildlife management and use the money collected from sportsman for hunting and fishing fees for the preservation of this great resource.

We fished Koke's the first 4 days and caught and released several fish keeping our creel and possession limits as the law allowed. On day 5, after getting a few pointers from a local, we change fishing tactics and started targeting Lake Trout (Macks). We caught several Lake Trout that weight 5 to 8 lbs. On day 2, once we gained some experience fishing Lake Trout, we hooked and caught a 18 and 25 pounder. Day 3 of fishing these monster trout was not a disappointment because we caught 2 more weighting in at 21 and 16 pounds. Releasing both fish to be caught another day.

Attached is a picture of the 18lb fish. I hope you enjoyed the post and get a chance to fish the Gorge as it should be on your bucket list.

Tight Lines

firetrout
07-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Had a great trip fishing Flaming Gorge Reservoir June 21 - 28 with good friends. I would like to recognize Wyoming and Utah for their management of the Gorge fishery. It's evident they value wildlife management and use the money collected from sportsman for hunting and fishing fees for the preservation of this great resource.

We fished Koke's the first 4 days and caught and released several fish keeping our creel and possession limits as the law allowed. On day 5, after getting a few pointers from a local, we change fishing tactics and started targeting Lake Trout (Macks). We caught several Lake Trout that weight 5 to 8 lbs. On day 2, once we gained some experience fishing Lake Trout, we hooked and caught a 18 and 25 pounder. Day 3 of fishing these monster trout was not a disappointment because we caught 2 more weighting in at 21 and 16 pounds. Releasing both fish to be caught another day.

Attached is a picture of the 18lb fish. I hope you enjoyed the post and get a chance to fish the Gorge as it should be on your bucket list.

Tight Lines

I'm wondering if there is a bounty on Lake trout fish heads to turn in to the fish and wildlife deep there?. I fished Ponderay in Idaho and they want to eliminate Lake trout. If I remember correctly it was $15.00 a head.:angling:

salmonid
07-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Nice Laker!

TrackerDV17
07-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Sounds like you had a great time at the Gorge!

Congrats on that HOG!!

There's no bounty on Lake Trout at Flaming Gorge that I know of.

Wyoming did raise the limit to 8 with 1 over 28".

Utah raised the limit to 12 with 1 over 28".

It appears they are trying to thin out the Lake Trout population without totally eradicating it.

Maybe Bduck will reply if I'm incorrect.

Mike

Mr Ed
07-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Utah.... 12 Mc's............. holly crap, Bat Man !!

That's 240" of fish on a BAD day.

I don't care too much for them but the "Tahoe Kid" had a teriyaki thing that made them
table fare. Never tried to smoke one yet.

That's in the bucket list.

Nice to see that you had a get time in Utah.
Not a bad place to visit.

BDuck
07-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you had a great time at the Gorge!

Congrats on that HOG!!

There's no bounty on Lake Trout at Flaming Gorge that I know of.

Wyoming did raise the limit to 8 with 1 over 28".

Utah raised the limit to 12 with 1 over 28".

It appears they are trying to thin out the Lake Trout population without totally eradicating it.

Maybe Bduck will reply if I'm incorrect.

Mike
Both Utah & Wyoming have raise the limits together for lake trout to 12 per day with 24 in possession with only one exceeding 28" on both side of the border.
The only bounty here is letting fishermen have an increase in the creel to take home. Lake trout is not being
eradicated from the Gorge only increase trophy size fish.
Also, Utah has increased kokanee possession limits to 6 at 3 per day but trout is included(excluding lake trout) in this limit. Wyoming maintained 3 as possession.

burninfuel
07-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Retirement soon and definitely on my bucket list

TrackerDV17
07-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks for setting the record straight BDuck!!

Mike

Hookem-up
07-02-2019, 02:01 PM
I did get a chance to smoke some of the Lake Trout, tasted great. I used a simple brine of soy sauce, brown sugar and black pepper.