PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Lake or Winnemucca

yell0wshirt
07-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Have a day off this week and thinking of either Grouse or Winnemucca lakes to go fish at. I've never been to either and I know that I'll need to hike in to either one (which is also part of the fun for me!)

Any recs on either lake and lures to maybe use?

I might bring my fly rod, I'm still really really bad at fly fishing which sucks and I've got some good spinning set ups to use.

Any advice or help would be great. Thanks everyone!

TahoeJeff1
07-23-2019, 12:31 PM
I believe Grouse (in the Mokelumne Wilderness) is fishless.
I don't think it matters, as the access to the TH is closed:

BLUE LAKES UPDATE:

Due to planned work by PGE at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.

MKE
07-23-2019, 03:17 PM
I would drive to Crater Lake it has TONS of brookies and there is no hike with a 4◊4.

yell0wshirt
07-24-2019, 08:37 AM
I believe Grouse (in the Mokelumne Wilderness) is fishless.
I don't think it matters, as the access to the TH is closed:

BLUE LAKES UPDATE:

Due to planned work by PGE at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.

Oh weird, I was speaking of Grouse Lake in the Desolation Wilderness, near Wrights Lake, off of HWY 50.

TahoeJeff1
07-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Grouse Lake in the Desolation Wilderness

Yeah, different Grouse Lk.
PM sent

fishwrong2
07-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Desolation Grouse lake had a lot of small brook trout last time I was there 5+ years ago. Winnemucca had the same last time I was there 3 years ago.

Grouse is a steeper hike, but will have fewer people. Winnemucca has some great views and flowers.

Cant go wrong with either in my opinion.

As for gear I use 1/8 kastmasters and z-rays. Also use Panther Martins. Key was to keep them small. Bubble and fly works too. Anything dry fly mosquito imitation, or bead head nymph for subsurface. Iím not a fly guy so others can help more, but theyíre not highly technical fisheries.

Good luck. Beautiful places and nice to get out of the heat.

Don - Nevada
07-24-2019, 12:47 PM
If you hike to Winnemucca, be sure to have a float tube or inflatable raft.

Fish the back side of the lake (between the islands and the shoreline).

My best fishing has been to troll from my raft with a red-white striped Dare Devil lure.

P.S. The hiking trail will be jammed with people enjoying the wild flowers.

yell0wshirt
07-24-2019, 01:41 PM

My best fishing has been to troll from my raft with a red-white striped Dare Devil lure.

Iíll probably try Grouse tomorrow then. Sounds like a 2 mile hike in and Iím not sure how to get a float tube up to winnemucca. I guess inflate it before hiking in?

Gonna keep an eye out for cats. A hiker just camped overnight last week and said he woke up to a deer carcass 30 feet from his tent at Grouse [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yell0wshirt
07-24-2019, 04:07 PM

Forgot to ask....but for those of you that have done the hike to Grouse, some sites are saying two miles to the lake, some say 3.5 and some say 4 miles. Can anyone clarify? Thank you!

fishwrong2
07-25-2019, 06:35 AM
I donít recall exactly. 2.5 to 3 seems about right. Itís not a long hike but it gets steep. You can keep going up the same trail to Hemlock and Smith also. Smith is worth the extra effort in my opinion.

Good luck

yell0wshirt
07-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Had a great day hike in to Grouse and Hemlock yesterday. Explored a bit too and put in about 10 miles or so in total. The hike to Grouse (according to my GPS) is about 2.3 miles. It took about 50 minutes to get to the top since I stopped and took a lot of photos. Hemlock is about .6 miles from Grouse and I'm told Smith is another .5 miles or so, but it's a harder hike. I hiked in with a full pack since it's good for me to practice with a full pack, but also keep the 10 essentials on me since I may choose to stay overnight sometimes.

Fishing was great! Missed about 12 hits on my lures, but the fish may have been small, but I also clip all the barbs on my lures since I only CR fish. Caught 12 brooks in total, the biggest being about 12". I used Red & Gold Thomas Buoyants, Brown Trout Buoyants all in the 1/6th size and Parachute Adams flies.

Just need to get a better net now.....

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread. I'm actually going to try to go back in a week or two and maybe stay the night. Definitely need insect repellant for these lakes though!

TrackerDV17
07-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Great report and pictures!

Thanks for sharing!!

Mike

fishwrong2
07-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Sweet. A 12Ē brookie out of that lake is a trophy. Did you get any out of Hemlock? Figured it might go fishless as itís so small but there were a few last I was there.

Congrats on a nice trip. The other trail to Twin Lakes and Island is about the same with similar fishing. Plus last time I was there a couple of gals were swimming in their birthday suites. That may have had something to do with my fond memories of the place.

Thanks for the report.

fishwrong2
07-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Actually now that I think about it, I should have recommended Round Lake. Itís up in that area. A bit longer hike, but nice Cutthroat in there, and once ran across another group of gals working on losing some tan lines.

I need to get back into hiking.

yell0wshirt
07-27-2019, 02:37 AM
Actually now that I think about it, I should have recommended Round Lake. Itís up in that area. A bit longer hike, but nice Cutthroat in there, and once ran across another group of gals working on losing some tan lines.

I need to get back into hiking.

I did get a few brooks out of Hemlock. It's a lot smaller (about a third of the size of Grouse), but there were a lot of fishing swimming around. I'll have to try to get to twin lakes later this year. It looks like a bit longer hike, but i'm always up for a nice hike.

Round Lake? When I searched it, it is showing it's off highway 80, but these lakes are off of 50. did you mean Round Top Lake off of highway 88? I've never caught a Cutthroat, but i'd like to try to get some and some Golden's this year if I can. Just gotta find the lakes they're in and get to them!

Thanks for the help all.

Fish-on
07-27-2019, 07:26 AM
Round lake is off hwy 88 towards Scott Lake. Iíve been back there a couple times (maybe 10-12 years ago) and is a nice lake too.

fishwrong2
07-27-2019, 07:31 AM
The Round Lake I was referring to is south of Tahoe. You can hike in from either the Big Meadow trailhead on Hwy 89, or Carson Pass on Hwy 88. Both are 5 miles +/-. You canít see the lake itself, but you can see the cliffs above it when you drive Hwy 50 over Echo Summit if you look to the south.

I havenít been to Round Top, but you can get there from Winnemucca if you try that hike. Itís not that much farther looking at the map.

Cup lake and Lake #3 in Desolation wilderness both had Goldenís. Both are a tough hike and the fish are small but they do have them. Caught my first Golden in the outlet creek to Lake #3. Odd to be proud of a 6Ē trout, but I was/am.

natemeister
07-30-2019, 12:48 PM
I've visited Round Lake plenty of times, have often watched the Osprey circling, 3 to 4 at a time, then diving and pulling out a nice trout.

I was up by Kirkwood this weekend and caught 3 nice brookies in a nearby lake. Fishing was hot, everyone was hitting, on Powerbait surprisingly.

fishwrong2
07-30-2019, 04:16 PM
I've visited Round Lake plenty of times, have often watched the Osprey circling, 3 to 4 at a time, then diving and pulling out a nice trout.

I was up by Kirkwood this weekend and caught 3 nice brookies in a nearby lake. Fishing was hot, everyone was hitting, on Powerbait surprisingly.

Otherside of the highway and a couple mile hike past the creek?

Just curious. Have heard different reports out of a lake that way, but havenít been up there in quiet a while.

Congrats on a nice trip.

natemeister
08-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Otherside of the highway and a couple mile hike past the creek?

Just curious. Have heard different reports out of a lake that way, but havenít been up there in quiet a while.

Congrats on a nice trip.Yes, that's the lake.

TahoeJeff1
08-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Here is my report on Round from 2017:

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131985&p=1132879#post1132879

hooks
08-01-2019, 12:04 PM

Hmmmmm....Please tell me more about the fish skin bacon recipe?

TahoeJeff1
08-01-2019, 01:25 PM
I usually make it backpacking. Start frying fish fillet (I use peanut oil) skin side down. Then, after the flip, carefully peel the skin off and put it back in the pan, what was flesh side down:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48433957901_40221df261_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gMWGgF)

The skin will usually take longer than the flesh. But your patience will be rewarded with crisp 'fish bacon' that is not fishy at all.
Can be done at home of course, but typically splatters and makes a mess....

hooks
08-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Thanks for that recipe. I'll try it.

fishwrong2
08-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Hey, you may have caught bigger fish, but how many sunbathers were there? Ya, probably donít answer that....

Itís a gem of a lake with some very nice fish. Definitely worth the effort to get there.

yell0wshirt
08-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Hey, you may have caught bigger fish, but how many sunbathers were there? Ya, probably donít answer that....

Itís a gem of a lake with some very nice fish. Definitely worth the effort to get there.

Question, did you hike in from 89 or 88? How long of a hike would you say it is? With a float tube and all your gear none the less, isnít that pretty bulk with all your fish gear too? Never hiked in with a tube before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natemeister
08-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Question, did you hike in from 89 or 88? How long of a hike would you say it is? With a float tube and all your gear none the less, isnít that pretty bulk with all your fish gear too? Never hiked in with a tube before.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou want to park at Luther Pass, 88. it's a quick hike, with some elevation, but not much. I guess elevation is relative, I've done Mt. Whitney. Anyway, it's only 3.7 miles from the TH to Dardanelles. It's 8.1 miles from 89.

yell0wshirt
08-03-2019, 01:32 AM
You want to park at Luther Pass, 88. it's a quick hike, with some elevation, but not much. I guess elevation is relative, I've done Mt. Whitney. Anyway, it's only 3.7 miles from the TH to Dardanelles. It's 8.1 miles from 89.

Luther Pass is off of 89 according to google maps and from 89 it looks like a shorter hike to Dardanelles and Round Lake than 88, hiking in from Big Meadow trailhead.

Is there a trail to Dardanelles lake? It looks like the Tahoe Rim trail can take you to Round lake, but it doesn't look like there'a trail to Dardanelle's. What species of fish are in Dardanelles?

Actually..just found a CA Fish & Wildlife article from July of 2018. All the brooks were killed off (453 fish) to get the lake ready to aerial plant LCT. As of June 28th of 2018, there were still no fish in the lake (at least none they could catch with gil nets), so maybe I will stick with my original plan to go hike in to round lake next week.

fishwrong2
08-03-2019, 07:23 AM
Canít recall exactly how long the hike is. 3-4 miles if I recall from the Big Meadow trailhead on 89. Slightly longer from Carson Pass on 88 but similar as I remember it. Both have some elevation gain and loss to them. Iíve never hiked in from Luther Pass which is on 89.

Float tube isnít necessary in my opinion. The west side of the lake is rocky and deep. East side is shallower. If you want to take a float tube, more power to you, just be aware the lake is prone to high winds at times. A buddy packed a raft in there once and spent the day getting blown across the lake and hiking it back around.

Good of luck if you make the trip.

natemeister
08-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Luther Pass is off of 89 according to google maps and from 89 it looks like a shorter hike to Dardanelles and Round Lake than 88, hiking in from Big Meadow trailhead.

Is there a trail to Dardanelles lake? It looks like the Tahoe Rim trail can take you to Round lake, but it doesn't look like there'a trail to Dardanelle's. What species of fish are in Dardanelles?

Actually..just found a CA Fish & Wildlife article from July of 2018. All the brooks were killed off (453 fish) to get the lake ready to aerial plant LCT. As of June 28th of 2018, there were still no fish in the lake (at least none they could catch with gil nets), so maybe I will stick with my original plan to go hike in to round lake next week.You're right, I had 89 and 88 reversed. I backpack out there a lot and can tell you that 89 is much quicker than 88. Plus free parking off 89.

Here's a shot I caught of an Osprey diving and plucking a trout out of Round Lake. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190808/8dfe258ccd4293ae614f422b427857a1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190808/8a5eff9fe65d0265e4a38c9ff54880b4.jpg