PDA

View Full Version : Crawdads

Wolf74
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I know the subject was brought up last year but I can't remember half of it. I'm just curious as to how effective crawdads are as bait, either live or dead.

JIM_D.
02-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Myself, I have not had any luck with them. I have tried them in the delta and clear lake in many different ways with no luck at all. I'm sure they work, just didn't for me. JIM D.

Diego916
02-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I'll 2nd that. I've heard early summer and early winter are best for fishing with them because they often molt at these times and are soft-shelled, but I've never had luck using them any time of year. When I was a kid, I use to catch loads of bullheads, bluegill, and even bass using the tail meat. Maybe that's the way to go?

BaitMaster
02-26-2006, 12:20 AM
It seems like 8 out of every 10 catfish/bass i catch have crawdads either in their stomachs or stuck in their throats. Unfortunately i rarely use crawdads and when i have, i didnt do any good. I know its off subject, but i found a baby rat in the stomach of a 6 pound catfish once....It was kinda neat. So i guess we should stop at the pet store instead of the bait shop before fishing? lol.

tommy_tsunami
02-26-2006, 06:37 AM
gentleman,i use crawdads exclusively at the sutter bypass, the feather river and any lake such as folsom. the trick is to use the small ones, with as little or no weigtht on the line as possible, catfish and bass love them. my spot on the feather when i use crawdads its like tossing candy to a baby the small mouth bass cant get enough of them, easy limits are the rule there, remember small crawdads only, 1 and a half to 2 inches preferred. problem though is the bait shops dont have them in right now.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
02-26-2006, 06:41 AM
dont know about crawdads for the kittys

but i know the bass :-* THEM

they cant get enough

Wolf74
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Well I know stripers like then and yes bass do as well. I just thought that they would be a good bait for cats too, although perhaps it might be a better idea to just use the tail.

FF_MYRL
02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I am not for sure about the cats, but I have great luck with crawdads for bass, in the lakes. They go crazy for them. I use them alive, and I just run the hook through the side of their tails. That way they say alive until they get eatten, and thats not very long at all.

tommy_tsunami
03-03-2006, 06:55 AM
live crawdads are the only way to go. bass and catfish love them..

Mad_Russian
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
dont know about crawdads for the kittys

but i know the bass *:-* THEM

they cant get enough

Go fish with Tommy and you shall see how well cats taking crawdads :)

tommy_tsunami
03-04-2006, 08:07 AM
you got that right mad r. its almost time, if the bait shops would start to carry than its fish on...

tommy_tsunami
03-04-2006, 08:10 AM
hey sergey, ive seen a couple of people fishing in and around arco lately but havent jstopped to see what they are catching, at the bridges, i think they would be catching crappies, who knows but thats where i used to catch them, also off of san jaun road over by where they are building the sewer pumping plant its a good spot also..

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 11:19 AM
The asian markets ranch 99 often carry them
jolly's bait and tackle in stockton often has them
the bait store in down town Ilston Always have them.

chris_fish
02-11-2007, 10:32 AM
crawdads work great for me i use them in clearlake and the delte i catch 40 pounders on them

1bigfish2
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
I know crawdads work great for catfish, I use to catch them in farming canals, and use them around the old barge docks back in sugar cut in Tracy back about 15 years ago. my cuz and i would catch 10-lb + cats on them. they put up great fights, uglest nasty fish you'll ever see.

noahs_rippinlips
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
gentleman,i use crawdads exclusively at the sutter bypass, .
I have tried alot of baits in the bypass and have had the best luck with crawdads. Seems like the small ones don't mess with them as much as other baits. One time I even caught a huge carp on one, who would have thought.

FishRman
02-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Any chance you could use a jig with craw trailer dunked full of craw scent? Is it the smell they go for or the live bait aspect?

Diego916
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
How do you guys hook them? Through the nose or tail? What size/style hook? Looks like I'm going to have to try them one more time...again :)

K510
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Just hook it across the tail. I've found gamakatsus to work the best because the shell is a little tough and those hooks just goes right through them. And if you ever get out to Shasta, those Bass love crawdads...

SturgeonVirgin
02-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Right through the tail; get the hook point through one of the gaps in the shell, and crsh the claws with a pair of pliers to keep em from finding bottom and diggin in.

Best bet I use for cats behind FRESH shad.

bretmoua
02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Almost any species of fish will target crawdads. I've caught stripers, large and small mouths, cats, and carps on them. Believe it or not, I caught my biggest largemouth using a crawdad. It measured 25 inches and weighed in at 8 lbs. :D

johnnyowl
03-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I read a report cats at Shadow Cliffs were been pulled out on worlds best catfish bait??? . I saw it in black and white so it must me true. On 2/24/07, 7 year old Alyssa Anderson of Livermore caught her first fish - it was a 7.5 lb catfish!

Bretmoua, what fish/fishes is that on your post's?

johnnyowl
03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
it looks like a pike

esquired
03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I use crawfish (or crawdads) for Channel cats all the time. I found that they work best if I hook them through the carapace (the body) so that they die on the hook and also this allows them to ooze some blood and guts into the water. Fresh dead is the best.

They will work alive as well but they also spend their bottom time digging under rocks or debris resulting in snags.

I also started using raw shrimp in the shell because it approximates a crawfish and have had good success with that as well.

Here is a crayfish channel
http://www.myfishpix.com/gallery/data/500/10cat_Small_.JPG

Pronger
03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Craws work very well for me when im fishin for cats. Use only the tail end and peel off the shell. If you want you can also soak the tails in your favorite stink sauce. Best of luck... Pronger