PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Aftermath

Prettyman01
10-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Lookin to see what guys are doin to their rigs after a day on the highly alkaline waters of Pyrmaid Lake.

I've been told calcium from tufa that really makes it gnarly.

Either way, flushing motors, soap and water rub down of the boat, good hosing of the trailer, and rinsing rods, reels, and used gear are my go to.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or products to help fight the battle of repeated exposure to this place.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191023/dbc1905823ada7127ded3933427c2031.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

burninfuel
10-23-2019, 12:19 PM
no issues at all, Walker lake in the 90's was bad, plugged cooling on Honda 50hp , used vinegar to remove white stuff and foamed very much.
Small submersible pimp and ran thru engine without running motor.
help another friend on Honda 40 and same good results.
Pyramid is less than 1/10 th of ocean water and Walker was 10 times ocean water.
Nothing on trailer or boat visibly.
Solved issue by replacing hot thermostat to lower Honda 165f I think, in late 90's, my engine was a 1996

Prettyman01
10-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Sounds pretty fortunate.

Between the sand, salt, wind and sun, I notice a ton of wear and tear on my stuff.

Good to hear it could always be worse tho..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jetspray
10-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Sounds pretty fortunate.

Between the sand, salt, wind and sun, I notice a ton of wear and tear on my stuff.

Good to hear it could always be worse tho..

On my kicker motor I have a 30 gallon metal garbage can which I drilled a hole in the bottom end and put a real cork in. I put D blocks under the can to have the bottom of the kicker as far into the can as possible. I then put enough cheapo Walmart vinegar gallons in to meet the inlet of the lower end. I tape a funnel under the pee hole to make sure the vinegar gets back in the garbage can. Run the motor till warm, then empty the can and fill with water to flush out the motor. As far as the main motor I had a valve installed on the inlet line to the exchanger, I use a Miracle Grow sprayer and as the motor is being flushed with a garden hose attached I just keep un screwing the bottle and adding pure vinegar ( I have two bottles at the ready to flush that)...…..Jetspray

Jetspray
10-23-2019, 05:34 PM
BTW Simple Green cleans off the tuffa pretty good......Jetspray

Mr Ed
10-24-2019, 08:33 AM
Just came back from Mark Fore & Strike...............

was told the lake has turned over and might take a little longer to clear up?
Just 2nd hand info..............

Neighbor was out this weekend and caught a few smaller fish from shore.
His area was windy and stained............. (turn over ? )

later.

Jetspray
10-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Just came back from Mark Fore & Strike...............

was told the lake has turned over and might take a little longer to clear up?
Just 2nd hand info..............

Neighbor was out this weekend and caught a few smaller fish from shore.
His area was windy and stained............. (turn over ? )

later.Probably going to wreak havoc along the shore. Trolling through all of that stuff is a pain, too much salad on the lures:mat:....Jetspray

Whatever
10-25-2019, 07:02 AM
The toll on equipment is real. The friend I go with has poo poohed the problem for several years. He's now looking for a new trailer. Not sure about his motor just yet. He would periodically run fresh water through it.

Mr Ed
10-25-2019, 09:11 AM
He that venture out on Pyramid and not flush motor......................

shall have to torch prop off motor in two years..................

Not me, I wipe !! I mean, flush. What ever.............

I did see a prop at Custom boat and Marine back in the 70's that a mechanic just removed from a motor.
I just had to wait around to see that all the sparks were for.

Flush and grease is a GOOD thing.

hooks
10-25-2019, 09:50 AM
I flush my Honda 15hp once a month with vinegar and I use Permatex aluminum anti seize on my prop.

Learned that lesson in the mid 80s on a prop I had to cut off my 140 I/O

I wipe the spots off my boat as a side to cleaning the blood and fish scales out of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooks
10-25-2019, 10:17 AM
PS.....

This is a given but clean your fish finder screen with a microfiber cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyDog
10-25-2019, 11:40 AM
I used to fish pyramid I used a 1/2 bottle of CLR in my flush tank for my motors and used it diluted on a rag to wipe the spots off. Works like a charm!

Jetspray
10-25-2019, 02:57 PM
I used to fish pyramid I used a 1/2 bottle of CLR in my flush tank for my motors and used it diluted on a rag to wipe the spots off. Works like a charm!Sounds like a great idea, have seen lots of boats with clogged channels from the lake. I fish Topaz as well and it is not so bad with the alkaline attack as that much tuffa. Eagle Lake has a good deal of it as well....Jetspray

iln143
10-26-2019, 06:11 AM
I flush my motor after every trip. I also spray down my trailer and rear truck wheels and axles. Costco told me they had to pound off my rear wheels to rotate my tires! They started to rust on.