PDA

View Full Version : catfish

camo_greg
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
what is a good way to cook catfish? are they even worht eating?

timetofish
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I personally enjoy fried catfish nuggets. Just be sure to remove the lateral line and all fat.

Diego916
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I like the farm-raised better than wild caught, but the dinks are edible. The bigger cats usually don't taste too hot unless they are from clear water, or so I've heard. I tried to eat an 8 pounder a year or so ago I caught near the feather and wound up feeding it to the dog. I personally have never eaten even a small wild cat that was very tasty, but some people love them.

Mad_Russian
03-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Check ''Cookin your catch'' board , I'm sure they'll have some recepies

tommy_tsunami
03-18-2006, 07:08 AM
i usually get a 2x4 skin and clean the fish, than throw the fish away and eat the 2x4.. catch and release baby... the only way to go...

Erreck
03-18-2006, 08:38 AM
.. catch and release baby... the only way to go...

I've gotta agree with that on any of the larger cats (8-10+lbs.). They sure are fun to look at, but it's not like you're gonna mount the thing. Eat it if you want/can, but I think it's better to take a pic. and let it go.

This isn't an ethics thing, just the way I see it. I know that the meat would go to waste if I kept it, so I'd let the fish go (after the photo-op that is ;)).

lonestar12
03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
"Pappi's n lemon" fillet it, then cube it. Fry it up the next day... ;) m,m, good!

SLOfisher
03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I fillet them, brush them with lemon juice, add a little salt/pepper, and let them sit in the fridge overnight. When I cook them, I dip them in an egg batter, roll them in corn meal, and fry them in VERY hot oil. For something a little different, roll them in crushed potato chips instead of corn meal.

Darn, now I'm hungry.

ctsron
03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I had Jalapeno corn meal breaded catfish at a restraunt last night that was excellent. Bread them in cornmeal as normal , but chop up a jalapeno and add to the mixture, very good.

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The big cats in the delta taste good filet them and remove the dark fat soak them in ice cold sugar and salt water, 30min cut them into chunks in a big mixing bowl add corm meal black pepper garlic powder old bay seasoning or any other spices you like, you are seasoning the cornmeal.
Drop the chunks of fish and toss them until covered good drop them in med hi heat canola oil use the good stuff.

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Grilled Cat Fillet are sweet, use a fish grilling basket.

camotracker
02-13-2007, 06:03 PM
deep fried cat fish the best way. ;) southern style

Fish_R_Us
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
We usually filet (or skin the panfryers) and soak them overnight in mild brine solution. The reverse osmosis will force alot of blood and water from the flesh, taking alot of the mud taste too. Some times another overnight soaking with some fresh brine will be needed for the large filets/fish.

pontoon_crew
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
These delta cats are toxic and taste like mud!

1bigfish2
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
would'nt eat any catfish or sturgen from the San Joaquin river, every town from lodi to fresno dump their storm drainage and waste treament plant water into it, [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=stretcher.gif]

FoolFishin
02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
A trick is to soak in butter milk for a couple hrs along with above posts. Takes away the "gamey" taste. Same goes for shark/skates. Rinse when ready to cook. Then use Zatarans fish fry (corn meal based) fry and enjoy. 3/4 is gone before I finish cookin' ;)