PDA

View Full Version : Best Catfish bait ?

Mr_Ed
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
There are a lot of baits out there that work. These are some of the top baits that have worked for me in the past for Mr. Wishers.

Mr Ed. ;D

timetofish
03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Has anyone else tried Dyna Bite Sausages?? I starting using them at the end of last year and had pretty good results.

FishnRN
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Mr. Ed, I think my favorite all around bait is mackeral. The skin is very tough and doesn't fall off the hook like clams and liver. However, if I'm fishing from my boat, I will bring chicken liver, clams, and mackeral, just because I don't have ot cast and it seems that is where my bait usually comes off with that other stuff. Some days, they're just finicky and you gotta try different stuff-be prepared!
-Ben

MB_Kevin
03-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I voted for night crawler because hot dog was not on the list :-/ That has worked great for me. I guess also liver and stink bait. but never over look the hot dog.

panfish_popper
03-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I voted for night crawler because hot dog was not on the list :-/ That has worked great for me. I guess also liver and stink bait. but never over look the hot dog.

DITTO

Diego916
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Why are the poll results hidden? :(

AllFishNoWork
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Shrimp [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

Steve_M
03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
************* Live bluegill************

ITUKAWAL
03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Why are the poll results hidden? *:(

The polls don't show interim voting progress.

(The results will remain hidden until all the votes have been counted.)

pawsnazzy
03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Steve_M,
Check out the state records for South Carolina. Seen many fish over 50lbs taken with live bluegill there. I'm not sure if it's still legal to do so now.
An Ol'timer that ran the the Bait shop told my Wife and I to use the whole side of a Herring on a 6/0 hook with a 3ft leader and let it down to till we felt the bottom and reel up 3ft and drift with current. He said" Boy, Big fish need big bait" "and hold onto your pole" .
The old guy was right, the fish hit so hard that some times they would spool us before we could start the boat to follow them.
The wife was almost pulled out of the bass boat one day, Would have been if her pants hadn't caught on the motor, It looked so funny I almost pissed my pants laughing. All I could see was her butt and her feet in the air , And here her screaming help!!!! [smiley=rotfl.gif]

TMG
03-16-2006, 09:23 PM

I second this comment. Plus while you are waiting for the cats to bite, you can have some ultralight fun...

1: Bluegill
2: Frozen Spanish Macks Cut
3: Livers
4: a big ole glob of crawlers

Diego916
03-16-2006, 10:01 PM

Sounds like someone knows how to catch the big ones ;)

Diego916
03-16-2006, 10:05 PM
(The results *will remain hidden until all the votes have been counted.)

I still don't get it. When exactly will all the votes be counted?

pawsnazzy
03-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I here that so folks have had good luck using bluegill for stripers. Kinda like a ling on a small rockfish. lol

Steve_M
03-17-2006, 08:42 AM

Sounds like someone knows how to catch the big ones *;)
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5920/signs813vq.gif

Mr_Ed
03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Hot dogs ? gess that will go in the liver box? ;D

The In-Fisherman TV show always hits on "fresh Cut Bait".
Re-rig every 20 min. or so for the maximum scent output.

They also think "circle hooks" work better on keeping the fish
on. Just have to learn to "sweep" the rod to take the slack out
of the line ; instead of the normal "rip its jaw off" type of hook
set that we are all used to. ;D ;D

Why is the vote hidden? You are all old enough to make up your own mind right? :-/ :-/

Later Ed

Diego916
03-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Dang it, Mr. Ed. When do we get to see the results? :-/

;)

Mr_Ed
03-17-2006, 01:51 PM
There you go !!! Sorry about that, 1st poll for me. Did not know
I locked the door on you......Won't happen again. (I hope)

I don't like getting those hate letters ! ;D ;D ;D

Are we still buddies ???

Diego916
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Sweet! Thanks Mr. Ed ;)

Smeja
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt say that I have a favorite bait. One of my fav is shrimp soaked in chicken liver. The shrimps very hard for them to take off the hook and its got all the flavor of the chicken liver not to mention they love shrimp, store bought shrimp that is. Thats deadly. Another good one is a worm/anchovie combo.

Straight worms are often my favorite bait. You so very rarley miss one and it sometimes seems to be the most effective bait to use.

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
That dip bait that is sold in the stockton and tracy bait stores has been out catching mac, clams and mackrel in the past two years. It's a cheese smelling stuff in a plain old clear tub about the size of a chicken liver tub I forget the name of it just ask for the dip bait its about $4.50 a tub the strange thing about it its about 80% channel cat bite rate. I hate white Cat's I toss them back no matter the size. I have also smeared it on butterflyed shad and caught nice cats also.

Striperman
02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
About the only time i fish for cats is when im cleaning birds after a morning of duck hunting. All ive ever used is duck guts (livers, hearts, or a little scrap peice of brest meat). Got to guide a kid on the JR hunt lastweekend. I asked them to save me some scraps and what do you know, throw on some scraps and catch a cat. Nothing special, about a 7-8lb kitty.

Striperman

fishrman4life
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Very nice, I prefer liver but Im slowly turning toward sardine as a bait of choice on the river.

JIM_D.
02-08-2007, 06:10 AM
SARDINE, CHICKEN LIVER in that order JIM D.

noahs_rippinlips
02-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I prefer live crawdads, But never heard of hotdogs! I also stayed awy from nightcrawlers due to too many small fish. Should I stick it out and keep trying worms? Everyone seems to favor them.

chris_fish
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
the best bait fir big cats is crawdads and minnows [smiley=baghead.gif]

noahs_rippinlips
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I have heard of people using minnows. How exactly do you use these? Live or dead? How do you rig them?