PDA

View Full Version : Channel Cats

Fish_Less
05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
What are the best times to catch Channel Cats?
Which bait works best of Channel Cats?
In which ares near Stockton can I catch some?
Is it even the right time of year?

Please Help!!

Erreck
05-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the boards Fish_Less!

Take a look back a ways on this board, and you'll find answers to all of your questions.

You can find some great areas around Stockton as well as some great bait tips/tricks.

The cats are biting slow now from what I've heard, but they'll be hittin' hard soon!

AllFishNoWork
05-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Summer, after dark
Worms, Mackarel, Anchovie, Sardine, Chix liver
Don't know
Still a little early, but if it heats up the next couple days or 2 the bite could be on this weekend. I'll have a pole out this Saturday night.

mtalley
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Channels are the more sleek looking cats right? I think I have caught them at Pedro before.

MoMoney
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I bet Ive caught 500 catfish on the delta but could count on one hand the lunkers ive caught from there.Why is that?Do the big cats come to certain areas or certain times of year or what.Ive had all the 1 or 2 pounders i can handle but how can I get on the big cats

Diego916
05-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Mo,

I understand exactly what you mean. I've fished the delta for years with the same results. In my experience, the really big cats are found in lakes.

triggerfish
05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
and the really really big ones are caught in golf corse ponds! ;D ;D

MoMoney
05-12-2005, 04:26 AM
You would think with the amount of cats in the delta system youd catch more hogs but not me.Like the stripers,there are tons of shakers but Ive caught lots of nice ones also.I guess Ill take my catfishin some lakes.I want a big one or two(im not greedy).

Fish_Less
05-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone, I went out to Whiskey Slough and Bacon Island this weekend and caught cats off clams in the day and Channels at night with crawdads. My friend that came with me caught a couple four or five pounders.

RUFKM
05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree. I have caught probably 100 catfish and 50 stripers in the Delta when I was in high school. The biggest kitty was 6.5 lbs but most in the 1-2 pound range. Of all the stripers i caught, i only caught two over 24''. Camanche has big cats, blue's and channels in their ponds and lake. My little brother caught an 11 lb channel out of the trout pond two years ago when we were camping there! His picture is on the wall in the Marina store.

gopedxr
05-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Thats intreasting that the population of the bigger cats in the delts just dont seem to be there. You would think that they would but i guess not.

As for the good times and all, try early mornings and evenings. I have caught alot of cats in the middle of the day though. As for baits all the ones aboce all work. I have used and had good luck with the dip bait and worms. Also Hog wild works like magic hehe.

Good luck everyone for the big ones!! aha

MB_Kevin
05-21-2005, 09:05 PM
thats weird all the cats Ive cought in the delta have been pretty small too.
Use night crawler and its starting in the lakes and should be good from now until the end of summer. We just started hitting them in berryessa

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM
If you use clams you attract small cats.

dbass
01-30-2007, 07:04 AM
I've seen some Big A$$ cats come out of Knights Landing, near the Yolo county boat ramp. When I worked for county, it was hard doin my job while fisherman were bangin these big cats!

striper_assasin
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
ive hppked a few 5-10 pounders out of the sacramento river near od sac.goto the port and you can catch channels all yearlong.ive only caught small cats there,but smeja has caught alot of big cats there.

Aquarius
01-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Delta Cats get big The biggest I caught was a 10lb on live minnow in whiskey slu, over the recent years the best bait to catch channels have been head on shrimp get them from the asian markets and GS dip bait the dip bait has been the best. I don't use clams unless I'm fishing with kids you get too many white Cats. The dip bait 90% Channel cats. The best time of year is early spring the better early fall OCT-DEC.

SturgeonGenral
01-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Dec15th Italian slough neer clifton court forbay
live minnows
12 pack
lawnchair!http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/4274/mattzcatzyh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)