PDA

View Full Version : Miner slough again

JIM_D.
08-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Today my cuz and I went out to miner, We caught about 45 cats from 3/4 to 3 lbs. My cuz took about 20 home for a fish fry tonight and his wife said if he went fishing he had better bring something home for the skillet. Also caught a 19 in. striper. Had our lines busted 3 times by something BIG. I had 30 lb. test on the poles so it had to be something big. Used sardine, mackeral and chicken livers, the sardine seemed to be what they prefered but took all. JIM D.

vini-v
08-21-2005, 07:10 PM
must have been a dang sturgeon you think?

thats a good day of fishing

JIM_D.
08-22-2005, 05:07 AM
My thoughts exactly, can't think of anything else it could have been, last thing we were expecting out there. JIM D.

jdog1023
08-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Jim D,

Is there a DFG limit on how many catfish you can bring home from the Delta?

JIM_D.
08-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Last I heard it was 25, Will have to check that though, I'm sure we were within the limit though, we only kept 20. JIM D.

pulper80
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I looked it up in the regs and if I am reading it right there is no limit on catfish in the delta.

However I often find that book as cryptic as a copy of "Annotated Tax Law".

2QUARTSLOW
08-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I also thought it was 25. :-/

Maybe a recent change, :-/

mike22ca
08-25-2005, 03:27 PM
No limit there in the delta. They do have special catfish regulations, but they seem to pertain more to the bay area I think.

mike22ca
08-25-2005, 03:29 PM
5.15. Catfish and Bullheads.
(a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
(b) Limit: Bullheads, no limit; all other catfish, no limit, except as follows:
SPECIAL REGULATIONS FOR CATFISH
Body or Bodies of Water Bag Limit
(1)All Waters of the Colorado River District Also see subsection (c) below. .......... 10
(2)All waters of the Southern District not listed below. ............................................ 10
(3)Alameda County:
Alameda Creek Quarry Ponds. .................................................. ...................... 5
Chabot Lake. .................................................. ................................................. 5
Cull Canyon Lake. .................................................. ......................................... 5
Del Valle Reservoir. .................................................. ....................................... 5
Don Castro Lake. .................................................. ........................................... 5
Jordon Lake. .................................................. .................................................. 5
Shadow Cliffs Lake. .................................................. ....................................... 5
Temescal Lake. .................................................. ............................................. 5
(4)Contra Costa County
Contra Loma Lake. .................................................. ........................................ 5
Lafayette Lake. .................................................. ............................................ 10
San Pablo Lake. .................................................. ............................................ 5
(5)Inyo County:
All waters. .................................................. .................................................. .. 10
(6)Los Angeles County:
Alondra County Park Lake. .................................................. ............................ 5
Belvedere Park Lake. .................................................. ..................................... 5
Cerritos Regional Park Lake. .................................................. ......................... 5
Earvin “Magic” Johnson County Park Lake. .................................................. .. 5
John Anson Ford Park Lake. .................................................. ......................... 5
Kenneth Hahn Regional Park Lake. .................................................. ............... 5
La Mirada Regional Park Lake. .................................................. ...................... 5
(7)Mono County:
All waters. .................................................. .................................................. .. 10
(8)San Bernardino County:
Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park Lakes. .................................................. ..... 5
Glen Helen Regional Park Lakes. .................................................. .................. 5
Gregory Lake. .................................................. ................................................ 5
Mojave Narrows Regional Park. .................................................. ..................... 5
Prado Regional Park Lakes. .................................................. .......................... 5
Yucaipa Regional Park Lakes. .................................................. ....................... 5
(9)San Diego County:
All Waters except Barrett and Upper Otay lakes. ............................................ 5
Barrett Lake. .................................................. .................................................. 0
Upper Otay Lake. .................................................. ........................................... 0
(10) San Joaquin County:
Oak Grove Regional Park Lake in Stockton. .................................................. 10
(11) Santa Clara County:
All waters. .................................................. .................................................. .... 5
(c) Carcasses: In the Colorado River and its backwaters, the carcasses of all catfish and
bullheads imported, possessed or transported must have either the head, tail or skin
attached so that the species can be identified and numbers can be determined until
such fish are being prepared for immediate consumption.

JIM_D.
08-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks mike22ca it's good to know, I don't usually keep too many, hate cleaning them unless I am planning a fish fry or unless someone asks me to bring them some. JIM D

FISHINFOOL
08-26-2005, 05:59 AM
I've fished the Delta area all my life & theres never been a limit that I know of.
Of coarse I don't ussaully need to worry much about limitsLOL ;) :P
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf@gunsbay.com

Aquarius
01-27-2007, 12:17 PM
were do you launch to get to miner slu.

Diego916
01-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Good job, Jim! Sorry about getting your line busted. Time to adjust that drag, maybe? ;)

Keeping 20 smaller cats for the table won't put a dent in the number of dinks out there, but the big ones should go back. Big cats are harder and harder to find in the delta these days.

JIM_D.
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I launch out of Rio Vista and go up river to Miner. JIM D.

fishrman4life
01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
What kind of gear were you using out that way? I just went on Friday and was using 5/0 circle hooks as well as 4/0 octopus with sardines and couldnt get any of the hits to stick. They would just peck at it till the bait was gone. Should I go smaller? Maybe 2/0 octopus or 1/0 circle? Striper bite seemed to be dead, so I was fishing for cats with the striper gear that I had.

JIM_D.
01-30-2007, 05:09 AM
I use a 7' ugly stick with the reel that came with it from wal-mart and # 4 or 6 hooks, not 4/0 for cats, I use 20 braided line just in case something bigger comes along. I have had my line broke in Miner though. Thank it was a sturgeon. JIM D.

fishrman4life
01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Wouldnt be too unusual if it was a sturgeon. Would have been more unusual had you landed it, usually they come as a surprise when striper fishing. I havent personally had that surprise come yet (although im still waiting for it). Most of them are just outside Miner in Cache Slough. They go through there, I've marked them on the finder, just havent had the right bait in the right place for long enough. I cant fish too far out of Arrowhead because I only have so much juice in the trolling motor battery.

Thanks for the info, usually I find myself dealing with bigger customers in the catfish department (aka 4+ pounders). I'll have to scale down the tackle and hooks for these little guys. Still gonna stay on the bigger end, but i'll go 1/0 and see what happens. :)