PDA

View Full Version : Mendota

fresnofshfan
06-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Any one headding out ??? Im thinking tonight or tomorrow night. Fish from about 7pm till midnite. Anyone game??

catstallker
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Fishfan, If I can't talk Vini into going, I can meet you out there at Mendota. I will get off here in a lil bit, so I will PM you my home #. I plan on getting out there a lil early to get a good spot. Lets do it.

fresnofshfan
06-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Sweet! Ill give you a call!

vini-v
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey guys i'm waiting on a call from a friend who wanted to go fishin IF he comes out we gots to be on good behavior he's a sheriff :o

Robb call me foo

vini-v
06-18-2006, 03:30 PM
welp you did'nt miss anything except HOT HUMID weather and BUGS swarming all over fishfan, I left around 10:30 fishless though I think the others caught some later in the night????

fresnofshfan
06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Well sorry I couldnt make it, skeeters dont like me too much, I eat too much garlic!
Is the slough this slow in summertime or just an off night? Im still itchin for another striper, or nice cat.

559fish
06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Usually its not that slow. You should try the aquaduct. Stripers are biting over there on anchovies.

fresnofshfan
06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Might hit the aquaduct for some stripers on Friday after work.

catstallker
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Might hit the aquaduct for some stripers on Friday after work.

You want some company, give me a call dude. I may be game. I just got me a new Therma Cell bug repellent. Need to try it out ::)

fresnofshfan
06-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Ill be out friday with my uncle cya out there. Catstalker check your pms.

catstallker
06-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Ill be out friday with my uncle cya out there. Catstalker check your pms.
Hey bro, got your pms.... I am heading out there around 6-7 tonight. I will be in my tan jeep xj. I am gonna stop off and check out the river on the other side to see how it looks. If the water is still high, I am heading out to the aquaduct. If you want to follow me, I can swing by the slough. I will pm you my #.

559fish
06-23-2006, 01:42 PM
I might be going to the aquaduct late tonight. Around 10.

fresnofshfan
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Well be out. Kitties and Linesides! Fish OOOON!!

catstallker
06-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I might be going to the aquaduct late tonight. Around 10.
what part 559? we should be around the manning area.

559fish
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I think same area. or further down.

fresnofshfan
06-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Met up with catstalker and his buddie _____. It was too long of a night night to remember his name, Hit up the aquaduct and slough for kitties and stripers. Had a blast ! I learned some new fishing spots and met a couple of new fishing buddies. Catfishing is cool ! Crack a coldie eat some dogs and wait for that bell to go off. Slow night of fishing, only two small ones caught when I was there. They stayed later so mabey they can give a better fishing report!

catstallker
06-26-2006, 10:45 AM
It was a blast bro!!!! The 108 heat hurt the fishing. I know we will be fishing together. Grreat to meet you and Chuck. We fished the slough area and hooked up with only 1 nice fish. Scott and I fished 3 small canals that produced some crappies and bass all over 1 pound. bass was around 2-3 pounds. Fished it in the heat (noon) so I plan on fishing it harder next time. I will show you the spots bro. It is really secluded and away from the main road there.

fresnofshfan
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
You know Im game! WOW you stayed till after-noon your a trooper! Ill tell ya Id rather have been fishing in 108 deg than stuck in LA traffic. I did see lots of sidewalk salmon in Huntington beach though! ::)

I cant believe I had this so close to home and havent taken advantage!

catstallker
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
When you ready, just let me know ;)

fresnofshfan
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Robb lets fish, me and Chuck are off early today and want to hit it up. No overniter but we can stay out til 2 or 3. Post up or Ill call you when I get off around 4.

catstallker
06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I get off at 4 too. Call me. We can wet a line tonight. Yaba Daba Doooooo :)

catstallker
07-02-2006, 06:20 PM
What a night we had! :D ;D :-X
Glad to see fishfan land that nice cat. I told you I would put you on fish ;) Don't forget my "secret code" to get in to the "honey hole" ;D ;D ;D I hooked a cat around 9:30 am there at the camp site. It faught me on my bait runner and the drag was singer. Great story brother. You would of tripped out. Got it to the net. 20# + channel. Spit my trebble hook out at the net. Long and good story for the camp fire ;) The were slamming the Danny Kings till about 11:30 AM. Ended up with a 6 1/2 and 7 # cats. All on DK. I ordered 2 tubs tonight. I tell you Danny Kings fished with that set upo kills em everey time :)

fresnofshfan
07-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Hope you got pics of the 20+ ;)
I got the ones of my 5lber on my phone Ill post up later.
Wish we could have stayed, Chuck was pukin so It was time to go!
I need some DK and liver and Im cool for the night. That cat I caught was just munching that liver, didnt even know he was hooked for a while I bet.

Oh ya Juan said Hi. ;D

Next week up to courtright .. you game?? We can shoot and take up my little aluminum. Me ,Chuck My buddie Seth,and whoever else. .

catstallker
07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Sounds good Bro, but I already planned to fish the honey hole and Juan said it was OK.....LOL ;) It is awlfully tempting though :-?

fresnofshfan
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
As long as Juan said it ok! ;D
Well have a blast and get tat spot dialed in! Id like to go out in the day time to pick out some primo spots. The spot we had was actually very good. That nice tree to the left is where I hooked up on that cat. Hit you up another time!

catstallker
07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey fishfan, how did the trip to courtright go? You up to fish the slough this weekend bro? I will be heading out this Fri or Sat. Let me know.

fresnofshfan
07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Im going rafting in Oregon otherwise Id be game. Next weekend for sure! Courtright was fun lots off beer drinking little catching. ;)
Just keep in touch and Ill hit you up next week. Post up that report!!!

catstallker
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Cool dude! Have a good one bro ;) Sounds like a blast. Gonna take the boat out there and show scott some honey holes back in there ;) Lets hook up next weekend bro. Give me a shout.

fresnofshfan
07-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Im down! Can I take my boat too? :-/ Ill call you later next week. Post up on your trip and have a blast. If you go to San Mateo tell juan I said hi. ;)

catstallker
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Heck ya, take your boat bro. We'll hit that cove I love ;) You know I will send your regards to Juan :-*

catstallker
07-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Got back around 2 pm Sat. We took the tent and bar b que over the other side there from the the boat. Camped over there and fish mainly that canal Even though I had to tend to 2 new timers and helping them, I managed to squeeze out a 5#, a 2#, 3# and 9# channels all on DK blood and original. The other fellows landed a 2# bullhead 4# and 6 1/2 # channel. The 4# was caught on liver. Fished chovies, crawlers, liver, wicked stickey, sonny's and lucky . All caught on DK's except the 4#. Caught about 20 stripers 10-15 in. on a crawler and a bobber. That was a blast on my ultra light. The 9# was caught in the heat of the day at 11:00 AM today It was beautiful out there. We grilled some burgers and dogs and warmed up a dozen enchiladas. Need a boat to get there. Can make a few few trips to spend the night and part the truck and trailor in sight of the camp.

fresnofshfan
07-17-2006, 10:48 AM
My Dad might be coming down this weekend. Saturday night might be the night if hes down . If he just wants to kick it at my house, Ill be down for a friday nighter. Sounds like you got into them good!! I need a tub of DK's !!!

catstallker
07-17-2006, 07:46 PM
I may stick around home this weekend bro. The Next weekend for sure ;) Let me see 8-) You want to take your boat? Fish that canal :P You should see the HUGE swirls ::) When you get on em, nothing under 5# :)

falco
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi guys,

I fished Mendota Wildlife refuge right next to hwy 180. No cats but one undersize largemouth caught by my daughter.

Come on let me know where I can hook up on some cats??!!1

I threw out anchovies and I think the little bugger fishes are just nibbling the anchovies clean off the hook. The bells never rang or moveds You guys have the same problem?

Thanks,

catstallker
07-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Whats up falco? Yep, fish that area too. What area were you fishing? Some holes, I would have to show you, and some hole you need a boat to get to. Some spots you can walk to if you don't have a boat. Put on some chicken liven. I personaly use a variety when I go, but the main staple would be, liver, cut bait, home raised worms, variety of stink bait. Feel free to hit me up when you go out. Be more than happy to put you some fish. I will say this heat, will hurt things this week. But when they are hungry, they will bite ant time.
Try to tie your bait down with thread. Toss far in the day, and up close at night.

fresnofshfan
07-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Well be up saturday night , at the pump area . Blue Tacoma with burgandy camper shell. If you can break away hit me up Rob!
Falco if your heading up post up and we can meet up.

falco
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Pump area? Is that near Bass Ave in Mendota? I will see if I can get away on Sat.

Thanks

fresnofshfan
07-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Im new to that area. Its off the Mendota Wild Life area, about 10 mins from the entrance.

catstallker
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Looks Like I will be heading out there to the slough after 5 pm. You heading out Fred? Hey Falco, You wanna get some cats tomorrow, hit me up at: 293-0458 Will be out there in the evening and were doing an all nighter ;) I got DK's original and blood. The bite is on :D

falco
07-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi,

My kids and wifey are dragging me up to bass lake to escape the heat on Sat. Hopefully I can show my little girls how a real man catch blue gills ;D

Thanks for the offer....if things don't work out Mendota sounds good.

Maybe catch you guys next week.

catstallker
07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
No problem falco. I don't think it will be much cooler at bass lake :D The whole state is HOT! LOL

fresnofshfan
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Rob got your PM ! Might kick it with the girl tonight. We'll be out on saturday for sure!!!

fresnofshfan
07-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Went out about 8 on sat. Started getting hits on liver ASAp. Couldnt stick any but had the bell ringing and checking bait all night. Great night to fish just none stuck! Had a blast with my dad. Howd ya do on Friday Rob???

catstallker
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
We caught 9. I landed 5 of em. They were all 2# and 1 was 3#. Only fished with DK's. I had 2 AWESOME runs but was a long way from the poles. What was interesting, was when I took my usual "morning walk" on Sat, I seen 8 carp at the edge of the bank and they all were over 2 ft. long ::) It was HOT out there!!!!!!!!!

fresnofshfan
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
I met some guys popping for bass on sunday am. They had a nice stringer of 2-3lb cats and some bass. They were trying to give some fish away. I want to take my boat and pond the banks for bass.

catstallker
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Bro the spot is across the river. We can camp over there and park the truck and trailor with a lantern across so we can keep an eye on it ;) We took a tent and 3 of us camped over there a few weeks ago.

falco
07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
hi,

Do you mean in the Mendota National Wildlife Area? I hope this is not too much of a secret spot....

I made some of my own catfish bait with my own recipe and hopefully it will prove worthy of my time and money. I have been thinking about the ingredients for a while. To be smart I will still bring out the usual stuff....chicken liver, anchovy and clam.

Thanks

catstallker
07-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Yes, were referring to the Mendota Wildlife Refuge. Naw, it's not a secret.... Some of us locals referr to the Mendota Wildlife Refuge as the "slough", Then there is James Road (which is part of the slough, but another area and then there is Jacks Resort (across the street from the wildlife area). You then go through the town of Mendota to Bass Ave, and you have the Delta Mendota, Helm Canal, several other canals and Mendota Pool. Oh.....Then the Aquaduct too ;)
There aint nothing like catching a cat on bait you made. What a rush! Liver, chovies and clams are good too. How was Bass Lake?

falco
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for replying. We decided that Shaver would be cooler at ~85 degree versus Bass lake being ~100 degrees, so we ended up at Shaver. Caught one little trout at the Edison day picnic area.....millions of folks up there. Stopped by the dam before dark and some folks were catching nice ~15 inchers on worms...

I am heading to Mendota tonight and hopefully catch some cats. Some guys I talked to on Monday mentioned that they caught some perch. Are they catching Sacramento perch? I won't be surprise if they were...because the slough is delta/Sac water. Unless they couldn't tell the difference betwn a blue gill and a perch......

Let you know how things went...later..

falco
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
HI,

I hit the Mendota Wildlife Refuge last night and caught a little guy ~4inch on some wax worm that I was trying for panfish.

We moved down the slough closer toward the bridge and had some bites....the bells were ringing but no serious large ones biting....so unproductive night.

You guys don't be holding out on me....where are the big cats holing up at??

Thanks

fresnofshfan
07-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I got some monster hits at the pump. I just had my poles too far away to set hook on em' .Drive down the road to the pump thats a good spot.

Steve_J.
07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I hit the Game Reserve this morning from 5:30 till 9:00. Caught two 2#ers and three 4#ers on liver. Nice cool breeze. I fished across from the pipe by the ramp.

catstallker
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Nice report Steve ;) I should be heading out there around 5 this evening. Anyone want to join me, feel free. I will be in a tan Jeep XJ

fresnofshfan
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Rob I might be game. Are you bringing any one? Planning on hitting the pump???

catstallker
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I will be alone by the pump area.

catstallker
07-30-2006, 08:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A buddy of mine went with me to the slough, were we met up with Scott and Pete around 7 pm. When were unloading my truck to load the boat, I noticed my tackle box is missing I looked for it and determined I left it home This means no bells, trebbles, almost everything. Anyway, loaded the boat up and went to our spot. After throwing a fit and bullying up for an hour, I found a few swivels and took off a few trebbles of a few older lures I had found before at other fishing trips. What saved me was my "stink bait pack". I use my ugly stick tackle box I got free . Its perfect for 6-8 tubs of various stink baits and other dip bait stuff. Well I been finding different stuff when out fishing and I been throwing it in the stink bait box. When waiting for bites, I am always looking around and at docks and stuff. Had a lot of stuff I had found So I knew I was set to do some catfishing No bells hurt though Threw my first line in the lil canal I fish around 9 pm Friday. First fish on was a 2# Pete caught on lver. He fished the river. If you have bells, you can fish the river and the canal too. Finally after missing 2 HUGE runs (my bait runner was getting a work out) I snatched my 9 ft. ugly stick up and pulled in a 3#. OK, I am happy now Then the pump turned on and the fishing stopped. Caught a few stripes around 3 am then got some sleep. Overcast evening skies broke a light shower thats was very refreshing. Not wet, just right at 5 AM and the the ba$$ were up in the canal chomping on shad. Scott landed a nice 7 1/2 # black bass and Pete took a 6# on liver I got a 5# channel on DK's. No hits on Sonny's or wicked sticky. All about the Dk's and liver again. Couldn't dial in on the cat's with the crappie and ba$$ action. It was just to darn hot! The best moment came when I took 2 bass off DK's All bass were taken on liver or DKs and trebbles while reeling in to rebait. Left at 11:00 am Sat due to an engagement I had to make.

fresnofshfan
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Nice Report!! I picked up my GLOCK on friday so I shot this weekend. I need some DK's ;). Thinking of taking the boat out this weekend.

falco
07-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Okay guys. Seems like it takes a boat to get to the pump in Mendota Wildlife Reserve.. :'(

I have been out at Mendota 3 times and everytime I have been skunked. I fished a little down of the bridge, above the bridge and by the boat dock. Nothing above 5inchers.....strangely I caught the little cats on a blue gill rig with wax worm. I even try the bass ave.....by the dam.

For bait, I used anchovie, mackeral soaked in garlic, salt and rotten fish and dough bait (corn meal, molasses, rotten fish, garlic, salt), The mackerals were being stripped from the hook but not strong enough for a set. The bell would ring lightly but not enough for a real bite.

FOr now I have given up hope. I hope the ocean can bring me back from this fishing slump. :-[

Thanks.

catstallker
08-01-2006, 06:51 AM
The pump brother is way past the bidge. There will be a pipe sticking out into the river. What time were you fishing? Also the best bait out there are fresh chicken liver. also the cut bait and liver needs to be tied on with a peice of thread to hold better. also, the big cats out there hits like a small ones at first. I like to leave slack and watch the line run, then set the hook. Also I will use my bait runner and bait cast and set my line feed accrodingly ;) I be more than happy to meet you out there and show you some spots. The slough is not that deep, so sm holes and all are crucial to know. Some spots seem to hold bullheads, and some spots hold lil stripes. Some holes hold big fish. It is what I learned fishing and hunting out there all my life. Don't give up bro 8-) They are out there.

catstallker
08-01-2006, 06:54 AM
Nice Report!! I picked up my GLOCK on friday so I shot this weekend. I need some DK's *;). Thinking of taking the boat out this weekend.
Cool.....I found the cheapest place to order DK's. Let me know if you head out there. You take the boat, I will show you the canal spot.

fresnofshfan
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Ill keep you posted! If I can get my girl to go to Courtright well be up in the cool . If not Ill be getting hammered at the slough!

falco
08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks catstalker.

I will use your advise. I didn't think to bring my bait runner andchicken liver.

I will let you know when I plan on going out to Mendota.

You said you hunt out at Mendota---duck, pheasant, rabbits...which do you hunt. I hope to eventually do some pheasant if I can get my dog ready...... :-/

catstallker
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Duck is good out there. A lot of rabbits too. Hear phesants all the time. I love to do over nighters out there. Twighlight is one of my favorite times out there. The migration of birds and the color of the sky. AWESOME! Anytime brother.

fresnofshfan
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Ill be out on Friday , liver in hand. Robb you heading out??
No boat but if your down we can say hi to Juan. ;)

falco
08-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Went out on Wednesday night and could not land a fish because I forgot that my reel was set on free spin......made a mess. >:( Hopefully I can get a cat before the summer ends.

Any thoughts on Squaw Leap by Auberry.

Thanks

catstallker
08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Cool Fred. I will be out there around 7ish. Scott, Dashel and I will be out there and will take the boat.

Falco, I heard some nice strippers there bro.

falco
08-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Anybody fish the spot located inside Mendota Wildlife, that is directly opposite of the 180 over pass. The slough flows under the 180 overpass and heads straight for about 100 yards and at the first bend is the fishing spot I am interested in.

I was told by a guy, in a black jeep wrangler, that he caught some decent size cats in that spot. He got there late and the spot was taken.

Lately, almost everyone that I meet on the drivable section of Mendota Wildlife has been catching little 5inch cats.

I was out at Mendota Wildlife on Sunday morning 9-11pm training my dog and there were more people out than usual. Some even fished from the bridge.

Thanks.

catstallker
08-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Did an over nighter Fri and pulled in 6 cats total. 7 and 8 lb were the largest channels of the night. Caught them on DK's.

fresnofshfan
08-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Good to hear. I hit Courtright and had a blast in the 80 deg weather. Post is on the Trout board!

catstallker
08-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Sounds like goodtimes Fred! It got pretty chilly out there around 2 am. I thought I was up there in the mountains. ;D

bretmoua
08-22-2006, 08:41 AM
What part of Mendota do you fish in? I usually fish off Bass Ave, or the Wildlife area. All the fish I catch out there are little 5 inchers only. I'm quite cautious about eating the fish from there though. The water is so dirty and pesiticides from the farming are always running into the fishing canals. I wouldn't mind doing some big catfish catch and release from there though.

catstallker
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
We fish the wildlife refuge a lot. I been fishing the wildlife refuge all my life. Very rarely get skunked. PM sometime and lets hook up and wet a line and drink some beers ;)

vini-v
08-30-2006, 07:27 AM
We fish the wildlife refuge a lot. I been fishing the wildlife refuge all my life. Very rarely get skunked. PM sometime and lets hook up and wet a line and drink some beers ;)

I'm going to start drinking beer I think i'm missing the better part of cat fishin ;D hell i haven't been catching fish much at least catch a buzzzzzzzzzz ;)

fresnofshfan
08-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey Robb I got next week off and am thinking about hitting the slough on Friday night. Can you shoot out there??? We should put on a mini fest.

vini-v
08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Fishfan Robbs out of town till Friday we may head out on Fri or sat .

fresnofshfan
08-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks vini-v. You guys bankin' it or boating? I might be game on friday night. Ill give him a call friday.

Fishoooon!!!

vini-v
09-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Mendota slough is now 99% shut down to fisherman, pretty much done there for the winter until Feb or April I can't remember, they, DFG guided me out of the back area on Friday and were locking all the gates behind me, I was across the bridge even way in the back good thing they found me I would have been stuck in there and fishing still.