PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Catfish

Wolf74
06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Ok, I need a question answered once and for all and who better to ask than sniffers. Do catfish jump? Every time I've caught one I've never seen one jump and I've never seen one jump by themselves like carp or trout do. So do they?

SturgeonHunter_420
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
good question wolf. I have never really put much thought into it, but you're right. I have never seen or even heard of cats jumping. Ive seen plenty of them rolling on the surface, but that is the extent of it.... :-/

JIM_D.
06-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I believe they breech like a whale, not come all the way out of the water. I have never seen either. JIM D.

cool_justin
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
All the catfish that I have caught do the roll. Never had one jump,or seen one jump...

n2trout
06-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Only jumping I have seen them do is from my stringer to the frying pan !! Mmmmm.Mmmmm,Mmmmmm [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Wolf74
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Lol, yep same here.

panfish_popper
06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Key word Bottom Feeders

SuperDave
06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I caught one years ago in a slough near French Camp (Stockton) that exploded the surface. There was a slight current in the slough and as I was looking down stream I see this 24" cat breaking the surface, followed by my rod flying out of my stick rod holder. It was the first time I'd seen a catfish go "missle".

FishTricks
06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
They certainly do jump, just not very often. I remember seeing a one pound cat jump pretty vividly because I'd been sitting on a beach down in rio vista getting completely skunked when this fish up and jumps right in front of me completely clear of the water. Three times in a row - tail out of the water and everything. I mean, talk about kicking a guy while he's down.

I don't think it's very common though - and I've definitely never had one jump while hooked. I'd imagine the big ones never do, but I did see a pretty healthy 5 pounder kinda nose outta the water to eat a frog-lookin animal. I wouldn't really call that jumping though.

ihawk57
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Just last week I was sitting by my 1/2 acre pond stocked with catfish,blue gill, bass, and grass carp and noticed lots of splashing. Thought it was spooked grass carp or bass feeding but to my surprise I saw a couple of my catfish jumping. A couple completely were out of the water. I took some pictures(video camera is broken) and would like to post them. Any help on sending attachments to this address or I can send pictures to someone. Thanks.

Steve_J.
07-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Here's info on posting pics.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1099806237

If you want to email attachments to me I'll host & post them for you.

cjskier
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Yesterday night when I was at sutter bypass I heard a couple fish jump that sounded like someone throwing a cinderblock in the water. it was insane loud, I dont know if it was a cat though.

Diego916
07-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Yesterday night when I was at sutter bypass I heard a couple fish jump that sounded like someone throwing a cinderblock in the water. it was insane loud, I dont know if it was a cat though.

Those are beaver smacking the water with thier tails *;)

From http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_AMAFE01010.aspx

Slapping the tail on water surface is used as a signal of alarm

*Deltadog*
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Catfish have an airbladder that they have to refill around every hour (that white silky sack behind their gills). Yes, they breech and yes, they jump. It depends on they type of cat they are, and the environment they live in as too how often and extreme they do it.
Dog

cjskier
07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Those are beaver smacking the water with thier tails *;)

Ha, ha should have thought of that. I've actualy seen beavers do that befor. Since it was dark I guess my imagination went a little wild.

RIGHTHOOK
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I have seen cats jump in the hottest of summer evenings on the salmon falls end of Folsom lake. ;)

FishTricks
07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
haha, even if it WAS beavers, I can see where the idea came from. I'd like to imagine it was 100 lbs cats breaching all over the place if I heard a commotion like that.

*Deltadog*
07-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Sturgeon??? :-/

DeltaAngler
07-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Catfish certainly jump! I see them often, out on the delta. Don't see too many Big ones jumping though. Out at Clear Lake I have seen many Big Ones come up and stick just their head just out of the water, pretty neat to see. The ones I have seen jumping are not on someones line thopugh, never seen one jump when hooked.

fish_feeder32
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I dont know how true this story is, But one of my freinds dad told me that he saw a huge catfish come up and take a baby duck from the surface about 30 feet away from his boat at hogan one time. Is that even possible?

channels101
07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I have not seen them jump. sometimes they are feeding aroud the surfece on frogs. so it's possibul.

cjskier
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I dont know how true this story is, But one of my freinds dad told me that he saw a huge catfish come up and take a baby duck from the surface about 30 feet away from his boat at hogan one time. Is that even possible?

I supose a cat could do that. I have seen a bass take one down then seconds later take another. But I'm not sure cats would be so quick to eat off the surface.

*Deltadog*
07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Seen cats caught trolling at Pardee, caught two big ones the other night on minnows on the Mokelumne. They will take whatever they feel like, when they feel so compelled. To think they are big, fat, lazy fish is a mistake. It is true that different bodies of water seem to carry different personalities of fish. Sometimes on the delta they just lay there when being brought in, at Pardee, those fish fight like trout. It all depends on where you are.
Dog

fulltroutjones
07-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I did see a 12lb cat get caught while trolling on a kastmaster at lake berryessa ..that blew my mind,on 6lb test and the rod doubled over..but to answer the question,he never did jump..