PDA

View Full Version : Any Recent News on Clear Lake Cats?

DeltaAngler
06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Anyone heard any recent news on Clear Lake Cats? They usually start there spawning run about the end of June. Bit really turns on in cache creek about this time.

fourbizzle
06-23-2006, 10:38 PM
come on guys! someone has to know. a combo bass and cat trip is sounding real good to me right now!

n2trout
06-24-2006, 06:07 AM
I will be staying at Konocti from July 10th to the 15th. I will have my 14ft aluminum with me and my lil fisher gal too. :D Hoping to get into some good fish, so I could use some info too. Anybody that doesn't want to make their secrets public please feel free to pm me. :)
Thanks for the help all !!!

Katch
06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
This is the most recent (and usually is the most current) information on catfishing at Clear Lake that I've found:

http://www.catfished.com/page2.html

http://catfished.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

LegCramp
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
it might be a little late for the spawn with this heat on already. It normall occurs between 75-85 degrees water temp but the bite is on for them, just have to adjust your tactics.......

There are A LOT of dink 2-6lbers in there this year....last year we caught millions of 1-4lb dinks and this year I think it was the same dinks but they are getting larger. Some people are still pulling in very nice 16-28lbers but its tough fishing with this heat in the daytime........

I would try fishing it from dark untl 930am with the emphasis on 2am-8am......man the big ones come out late there.....Shad or cutbait for non stop dink action and on ocassional big one with the shad being skull hooked, 3-5 to a hook.....If you are willing to have less action but target the big ones try some store bought shrimp and inject them with whatever secret sauce you like.....I prefer strawberry extract from the baking aisle...

This time of year day fishing them can be good if you are willing to move and target the thick weedbeds or any other structure/depth that will give them shade. Catfish do not have scales and will darken when exposed to the sun just like we tan so they will make an effort to cover from it if possible.

I would fish rattlesnake island, henderson point as hot spots. Drifting weightless hooks with bait works well out in the open if you have a gps and fish finder to mark the structure or concentrations of fish you find.

Good Luck
LegCramp

DeltaAngler
07-01-2006, 08:39 AM
N2Trout,
* * * * * * * *I have had real good luck fishing in catch creek in late June at night. Found that old frozen bullheads I had saved from Striper Fishing worked great for the Big Ones. I was getting too many bites from the little ones so I switched over to a Whole Bullhead hook back deep in the throught and out through the head with a 6/0 hook. The bites are far between, but when you get one they pick it up and run with it. Leave your reel in freespool, let them run a bit the lock it down, hit hard and hang on! *Caught a 15 and 16 lber this way one night. One of them had broke off on my son earlier that night, still had the shinny new live bait hook in his lip. Great Fun!!! *

Also have seen a lot of Big Cats caught there on Crawdads , Big Crawdads if you can get some. Have to catch you own though, it is not legal to sale them for bait there.

Also caught some nice ones using minnows by the windmill during the day. Three minnows on a big hook (4/0 - 6/0) at a time. The Big Island out there can also be good sometimes in the evening and through the night, if the wind is not bad.

Hope this helps and good luck fishin' *8-)

DeltaAngler
07-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Katch, Thanks for the links! These will come in handy. Fish On!

Katch
07-01-2006, 10:06 AM
No problem, I've always found the info there informative and interesting and it seems to be the most current around.

FYI...I was up there last Tuesday night and Wed. morning, fished about 15 hours...fours poles in the water, we used worms, liver, shrimp, and mackeral...had about half a dozen bites the entire time and hooked nothing. *We were fishing about halfway up the lake 5-6 mile from Lucerne which may have been part of the issue...they say the north end of the lake hasn't turned on yet...

n2trout
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
thanks katch, deltangler, and legcramp. Hopefully with all this good info and a little luck, my daughter and I will get into some "kitty kats".
Hope to see some of you out there !!

Fish On !!