PDA

View Full Version : Catfishing from boat

AllFishNoWork
05-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm going to try catfishing from the boat this weekend(if I'm not too tired from chasin kokes all day). I've never done it from a boat before. What do you look for on the FF? fish marks, bottom structure? Do you cast away from the boat or just hang it over the edge to the bottom? Do you put the bait right on the bottom or a foot or two up?

Any advice would be helpful.

Diego916
05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey AF,

You are looking for shallow flats right next to deeper water, especially if there is an underwater creek bed or gorge that runs through the flat out into the deep water. Flats with snags (stumps, trees, rock piles) will be really productive right now during the prespawn. Cats compete for cover and the biggest cats win. The more and better the cover, the better. At night, cats will move out of deeper water onto these flats to feed. As the spawn approaches, cats set up territories and stay close to choice spawning areas. If at all possible, drift the flat using only hook and line with your reel in free spool. You can use weight if you need to. I like to fish up to 2 feet off the bottom, but if you don't have a problem with crawdads you can drop the bait all the way to the bed without getting dragged under a log and snagged. A slow drift is ideal, so anchor if the wind is really moving. Good luck!

Fish_R_Us
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Fish the inside curve of a river bend. The current is much slower which tends to create mud/sand bars where the clambeds tend to appear. Also try all the back eddies of trees, bridges, islands, pump inlets, pilings, deep holes, anywhere the current is broken up and where a catfish can hang around with less effort.

Reel_Big
05-17-2006, 06:34 PM
i always fish around pilings you dont need to cast, you can just let your line down, you can tie up or drift doesnt matter. use shad or some kind of stink bait.

good luck!!

keciga1
05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I like fishing off the bottom and I just drop the bait right over the side of the boat depending on how strong the current is you may have to cast out a little bit to get your bait where you want it, and also use the smallest sinker that will hold bottom. Anywhere, where there is current break should be a good spot.

gopedxr
05-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Were ya might be fishing AllFish? I have had luck with livers, Mackeral, Dough Bait and a big Gob of worms and Foot of the bottom Sounds Right! ;D

Good Luck!

JIM_D.
05-20-2006, 05:13 AM
I catfish from a boat all the time and fishing on the bottom with a sliding weight is the only way I fish, same as for stripers. JIM D.