PDA

View Full Version : Little Help?

Bonachea
05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi all, I'm a bass fisher at heart, and want to branch out. I've never caught a cat, and was just lookin for a little help. I've only tried to catch em twice with no luck down at Lake Amador. As far as I know, I should just get a big stinky mess of something and let it sit at the bottom and wait. Any tips you guys could offer me would be appreciated.

fishn4me
05-12-2006, 04:16 AM
I too am a bass fisherman at heart and grew up fishing for nothing but bass. Unfortunately around the Sacramento area if you don't have a boat you're out of luck in most cases when it comes to bass fishing. The nice thing about catfishing is almost any body of water in the valley holds plenty of this critters, and they are challenging to catch and give a great fight when you do. Catfish are not much of a preditor fish and tend to stick to finding stinky baits such as, anchovies, sardines, clams, shrimp, dip baits, but even non stinky baits such as hotdogs, live minnows, night crawlers, bubble gum, and crawdads. I have caught catfish on bass lures, even a crank bait. The hardest thing about switching from bass fishing to catfishing is waiting for the fish. Good luck and if you need more info do a google search for catfishing, there are lots of great sites that can show you the tricks. ;)

Fish_R_Us
05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey, don't forget to try chicken livers. They can't resist a gooey mass of livers. You need to cut some chunks and let them dry to a crusty outer shell so they can be hooked and then they tend to stay on the hook during casting. I once had some left over garlic/cheese mini marshmallows that were all stuck together. They were leftovers from last year. I tore off a big chunk (size of a regular marshmallow) and molded it into a #2 hook. 15 minutes later I caught an 8 lb catfish. That was the dry season at Indian Valley Res. where we were driving on the dry lake bed, next to the uncleared trees that are usually underwater during normal lake levels.

cool_justin
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Fourbizzle landed a 15 lb catfish on bacon! Yesterday I saw an even bigger cat. Stay tuned, Team Backlash is workin on a MONSTER. :o

keciga1
05-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Catfish will take almost any bait you put on the hook. The more the bait looks and more importantly smells like garbage the better off you are. Try the slough over by 8 mile road in Stockton, I dont know if you wanna take a drive out there from stockton. I have read some positive reports from there, it is supposed to be really good at night.

Fish_R_Us
05-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Eight Mile Slough? I havn't been in 20 years. Do you still have to cross that first bridge in order to get to the slough? Is Uncle Bobbies Marina still there? I hardly recogonized the offramp with all the gas stations and fast food places now. I remember when I-5 to Sac wasnt finished. You had to take SR-4 (Charter Way) thru Stockton and continue on SR-99 north to get to Sac. I remember locking all the doors going thru Charter Wy. That was good place to get mugged for sure.

keviwa
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Eight Mile Slough? I havn't been in 20 years. Do you still have to cross that first bridge in order to get to the slough? Is Uncle Bobbies Marina still there? I hardly recogonized the offramp with all the gas stations and fast food places now. I remember when I-5 to Sac wasnt finished. You had to take SR-4 (Charter Way) thru Stockton and continue on SR-99 north to get to Sac. I remember locking all the doors going thru Charter Wy. That was good place to get mugged for sure.

* AHH, THE GOOD OL' DAYS!
I'D STILL LOCK MY DOORS!

Fish_R_Us
05-19-2006, 02:30 PM
plug_n_jig,
Is it still a rough area? I figured I'd rather deal with anything other than having to gas up there. It was a pretty scary place indeed.