PDA

View Full Version : delta 5/8/06

yakky
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Took my twin 2 1/2 year olds out for a "take whatever bites" in the south Delta. Launched out of Rivers End about 10:00 AM and cruised up into what I believe was Grant Line. After a couple of spot changes we setteled down under the shade of some trees and soaked clams and crawlers. Finally about 1:30 we started getting hits and hooking fish for the next hour. Our total was 5 cats all on clams. 1st 3 were about 6" to 8" and the 4th went 2 lbs. The 5th was about 12". Not the best day, but at least we caught a few. They loved reeling them in. My daughter fought the 2 lber like it was a marlin. She was lifting the tip up and pulling and then reeling in. Makes a daddy proud. Her twin brother held his own.

Big_Easy
05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Any day taking the kids out and watching them enjoy themselves is a joy in itself! :) You must be a PROUD PAPA ;) One day they will look back and thank you! :)

JIM_D.
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Try taking them to Miner Slough, look for toolies next to an island and I am sure you will do much better. Use sardines or chicken livers. You will get more fish than you want. Have caught up to 90 in one day, most released. JIM D.

Know_Excuses
05-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Dang Jim SHHHHHHHHH ... LOL JK *;D Yea minor slough is where I keep my boat and it is crazy in the summer there with cats.We caught so many last summer my dad would quit baiting because he was tired of reeling in cats ;D ;D

Oh, most being in the 12 to 24 inch range with a few bigger and smaller mixed in.I am still chasing stripers but once i start going for cats I will make sure to post how it is here ;D

pontoon_crew
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Grant Line Canal area is kitty heaven.Try some G&S stink bait non stop action, they love that stuff.

yakky
05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the tips. I do have a few cat holes around the delta, but I was looking for some place a little closer that day. But, I haven't tried Minor yet. It sounds good. I normally fish Old and Middle River areas, but I have found some spots near Decker. Clams and Shad have been my best bait at all of my spots.

Pontoon- Have you've tried Bowkers stink bait out there? Or any other stinks baits?

pontoon_crew
05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Yakky ive tried catfish dynamite but g&s out works it every time

yakky
05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
pontoon, thanks

Fish_R_Us
05-19-2006, 09:14 AM
We use to boat out the 5 corners area. That's where the Grant Line, Old River, Middle River, Tom Paine Slough, and San Jouquin all go together. Always did pretty good but had to be careful of the currents. Use to be able to drive to the area from Tracy Blvd or Wing Levee Rd. The old timers knew that place. There was a real cool ropeswing off the main channel that was accessible by boat only.