PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Huge catfish from Lake Chabot.

striperking13
04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.geocities.com/baybeegirl562/3.JPG

This story is unbelievable! My brother was fishing with some of his college buddies for trouts at lake Chabot. *I guess the bite wasnt all that so my brother decided to fish for large mouth bass. *So he threw on a broken back rebel crank bait and started to fish for bass. *On his 3rd cast, WHAM... he said it just felt like he hook a piece of log. *Then the fish took off. *It took him about 25 minute to bring it in. *At first he didnt know what it was, but he knew it was big. *To his amazement, when it got close it enough, it was a huge catfish. *All his friends were shocked. I mean, who wouldnt comon. Catfish and crank bait? NO freaken way. *Even funnier, before my brother and his friends started to fish, they walk by a gentleman who must be a regular there. *He told them that he holds all the catfish and trout record at that lake. Funny enough, when my brother and his friends return with the catfish, they showed him how big it was and the man didnt say a single word. *But this catfish is one ugly catfish, anyone know what kind it is? *dont think its a bullhead.

Wolf74
04-06-2006, 11:01 AM
NICE FISH! Yea your right, thats one ugly fish. I'm not too sure what kind it is, although its probibly a channel. But I'm no expert.

gopedxr
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Good Job out there! That is one Ugly CATFISH!!! Yea I have herd about people catching catfish on crank baits, rare thing I guess.

timetofish
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I've seen a guy trolling a Rapala for trout hook into a 15lber at San Pablo. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!!

timetofish
04-06-2006, 11:31 AM
How much did that HOG weigh?

dirty3hirties
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Geeeez! Did you HAVE to take a pix of that UGLY fish! OMG! That thing is gross. ;) But that is a great story. I've heard other stories about catfish taking lures too. I figure it's gotta be a channel cat, but it got hit with the ugly stick a few times....okok...maybe A LOT of times. hahha. ;D Ditto..how heavy was it?

AllFishNoWork
04-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I'd guess that bad ugly motha to be just shy of 20 lbs.

fishrman4life
04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
That pig has been rolling in the mud. Definately a channel.

nhbfishin
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Nice catch I cught my first fish ever at lake chabot 26 years ago dont live near there now I go for sturgeon. what side of the lake were you on I always did well at coots landing and racoon point.

striperking13
04-06-2006, 10:08 PM
This hog was 24lbs, they were fishing close to the marina from what he told me. But man, it is one ugly hog. I told my brother to not show to any kids, might just scare the sh*t out of them. As you can see from the pix, the skin looked like it had scale on it, similar to a snake skin. UGLYYYY!!!!!!

shakinuglystikincc
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Your catfish looks exactly like the one we got. The 'span' by the way the looks of how you are holding it is how large the one at Lafayette Reservoir was that we got from those guys off the dock, see my earlier post

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1145480177

my friend tells me it's a channel catfish, maybe ours weighed more than the approximate 18 lbs. it was weird, they said the same thing about using crank bait when it bit. Yours has the same 'female' looking bulge in the belly, when you cleaned it, were there two large almost between a tennis ball and a golf ball sized yellow globes in the belly? If so, those are the roe sacks and if you broke them, you would have seen the 2/8" sized small eggs. The catfish are spawning right now according to what I have been reading online and will probably spawn all the way into June.

striperking13
04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
No, this is not that same catfish as your friends. My brother and his buddies brought the fish home. Still cant believe it thought.

pulper80
04-22-2006, 06:29 AM
No, this is not that same catfish as your friends. My brother and his buddies brought the fish home. Still cant believe it thought.

He's just saying they look the same, not that they are the same.

vini-v
04-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Skin does look Reptilious but it's definetly a channel cat, V in the tail tells you that.

Big_Easy
04-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Is it possible that it may be a Blue Cat (Forked Tail)? :-?

YakMotor
04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
I was just watching "Okie Noodling" on Public TV channel 6 Sacramento and your photo looks a lot like some of the catfish these guys were pulling out while swimming around and using their BARE HANDS to reach in to holes in the muddy banks to catch them. One guy called them "flatheads" and said they aren't considered sport fish so in some southern states hand fishing is allowed.