PDA

View Full Version : Who keeps there catfish?

Anti_Hero_Fisher
01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I dont keep mine...

I never had catfish and hopefully i will clean one i catch if they are any good.

Dont know. After what my friend told me how he cleans it, it kinda made me not eat them. He nails there head :: dead acourse:: on a board then he cleans them.

Dunno kinda breaks the mood of eating the fish after hearing that.

But the fight with catfish is sooo fun.

Big channel cats are the best.

Fish on and hope some hear some info.

JIM_D.
01-03-2006, 04:46 AM
If you know of a better way to clean them, I'm listening. They are good eating if you bread and deep fry the pan size ones. I don't really care for the larger ones, fun to catch but not for eating. JIM D.

Hog
01-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Nothing better than a four pound channel cat from clean water cooked cajun style, even my 13 year old daughter that doesn't like fish loves them. You can also fillet them just like other fish if you don't like the nailing thing.

Fat_Freddy
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
When I lived in Oklahoma, catfish was all we caught. I had a "Fish Cleaning Tree" in the yard. It had a nail driven about 5 feet up with the head ground to a point.

The fish was impaled on the spike, his skin ripped off with a pair of pliers, and the head, guts, and skin would fall to the ground where the barn kitties waited for the prize. Each fish took about 2 seconds to clean.

I always marinated the meat overnight in a salt water-vinegar solution which removed any muddy or "fishy" taste.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey fat freddy Yeah Oklahoma has some Great catfish. Caught some nice ones out of there.

Used to fish there everyday with worms and would always be busy and couldnt eat my lunch are snacks.

Fish On!!!

MB_Kevin
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Popeye's sells some good Cajun catfish fillets! 8)

Know_Excuses
01-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I always marinated the meat overnight in a salt water-vinegar solution which removed any muddy or "fishy" taste.

If you could share that marinade that would be great.That "muddy" taste is why I dont keep cats anymore.

AllFishNoWork
01-04-2006, 07:13 AM
I don't catfish much anymore and don't keep em just because I usually have enough trout, kokanee or cod around for the plate. But I have eaten them, my favorite is catfish tacos.

Fat_Freddy
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
If you could share that marinade that would be great.That "muddy" taste is why I dont keep cats anymore.

Well, say it takes a half gallon of water to cover your fish, then I would add about 1/2 cup of salt and a cup of vinegar to it and let the fish soak overnight in the fridge.

It's been over 40 years since I ate any cats, and my memory is kind of foggy, so if this didn't work I would add more salt and vinegar. If it made the fish taste salty or pickled, then I would cut down the amount.

mike22ca
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I just fillet my cats out like I would any other fish....very quick and boneless ;)

Slim
01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
You bet I keep them. Yea, it's a pain to clean them but Nothing tast better. (Well Stripers does come close ;) ) ) :)

Flyfishin for cats is a kick!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Melones/23inch4lbCat100kb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Melones/8lbCat.jpg

Muddy tast?? I had that Problem with Black Bass, Muddy tasting. I just cut out the brown meat (Latteral line) from the fish. I'm told its oily and gives that muddy taste!!

Slim

dadams
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
OK slim,
you cant post a pic like that and not talk a little about flyfishin for cats!!! That is great, I have caught a few weird species on a fly but nothing compares to a channel on a fly. tell me more!!!!!!

Slim
01-07-2006, 10:11 PM
OK slim,
you cant post a pic like that and not talk a little about flyfishin for cats!!! That is great, I have caught a few weird species on a fly but nothing compares to a channel on a fly. tell me more!!!!!!

LOL
The fist one pictured.. New Melones, Tuttletown. As I was putting the float tube in the water I knoticed something breaking the surface accross the cove about 50-60 feet away. I thought maybe it was a bass. I tied on a chartruse Clouser onto the intermidiate sink line. I floated over there and on the third cast he hit. The fly was only 1-2 feet under the surface.

My 2 fishing buddies & I caught lots of Cats in that area using white wollybuggers, Chartruse Clousers, (I forget the name of the third )but it was like a prince nymph with rubber legs.

The second picture was caught at Don Pedro, Mocasin Point, near the creek. I was slowly trolling a brown wollybugger about 15-20 feet deep at the bottom when he hit.

What a great fight they give !!!!

Slim

FatCat
01-08-2006, 10:30 PM
I second the catfish tacos! I generally keep catfish in the 12"-24" range. Too small and they are a pain, too big and the muddy taste is much more pronounced. Cats are plentiful and are just too dang tasty to catch and release. I will give that salt and vinegar soak a try next time I catch a big one. Thanks for the tip!

I must admit that I take a certain sadistic pleasure in nailing a catfish down and skinning it. While gruesome, it is the most efficient way to clean them.

JIM_D.
01-09-2006, 02:25 AM
I have to try the salt and vinegar next time I catch a larger cat. Never ate them much before because they seemed nasty tasting and the meat seemed to get soggy. JIM D.

MoMoney
01-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Heck my wife makes ceviche out of catfish.Nothing better!!Dont catfish to much any more as Ive got the salt water bug but they sure are tasty!!

innovate
01-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Catfish fileted out like mike22ca - couple hits of salt and pepper and dunk 'em in the deep fryer. GOOD eatin' stuff :)

later,
Roland

paulgoucher
01-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Now i want to try some catfish ;D ;D ;D

JRG
01-17-2006, 10:26 PM
My ex girlfriends mom owned a restaurant and she would make catfish in a clay pot... it was darn good. I usually don't keep them, they're just so darn cute and any fish that can talk to ya gets to go back in the water...LOL

The nail on the board is a nice trick that I've used but the mom wouldn't skin em. They were store bought of course so maybe the taste isn't so much of a problem there but she would cut em like salmon steaks and cook em that way. The skin was actually one of the best parts to eat too..

HollyWentFishin
02-01-2006, 12:22 AM
We used to eat alot of catfish. We even ate a 17lber from Amador (should have let it go, but it my my lifetime record, and it had to get weighed in the morning), and it was even tasty, surprised me!

pawsnazzy
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
I heard on the sat. morning fishing shows that the muddy taste is from some kind of acid that builds in the fishes system due to stress. They said kill them quickly and you don't have that build up. Also any fish can get that muddy taste. I always cut the gills and bleed them out and throw them on ice.

Diego916
03-16-2006, 11:23 PM
The muddy taste is from the algae living in the water. Here's a good article http://catfishnews.com/

If you want to eat your cats, my advice would be to keep the smaller guys; less than 5 pounds ;)

pawsnazzy
03-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I think that article is for the growers that have lots of fish in ponds. I've heard of other issues also, such as to much waste in the ponds being a large issue. The article macks alot of since tho.

lonestar12
03-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I keep'm all big or small.....lots of Pappi's n lemon..Fry it up or BBQ the newt day ;)

13yosacramentofshr
03-21-2006, 04:16 PM
i always keep my cats theyre aent that hard to clean even for me and im 13! lol there are other ways to clean them afetr catching them just let them die and when you get home flip them overon there back and open there bellys with a sharp knife they are also pretty good in soups idk maybe other people never tried that but im mexican and we love them like that you just add carrots cilantro tomatoe zuccini and corn they are delicious

oh yeah i forgot to mention that i fish them out of the sacramneto area and i dont know wat every body means by muddy taste????? my cats never have a muddy taste and i dont skin them or cut off there heads after they are cleaned out they go right into the pot they are great i know this might sound wierd to people but this is just how i got accustomed to do it

merriamluck
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
mmmm HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY.... i always keep my catfish!! only way to eat them is deep fried batter is good or plain dont matter to me!!! hot sauce in the wet batter is good too. cleaning aint that bad if you have a good knife... just go for the meat..... i do have to say it aint like cleaning a trout.. :)

13yosacramentofshr
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
mmmm HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY.... i always keep my catfish!! only way to eat them is deep fried * *batter is good or plain dont matter to me!!! hot sauce in the wet batter is good too. * cleaning aint that bad if you have a good knife... just go for the meat..... *i do have to say it aint like cleaning a trout.. *:)

the only way to eat them is not deepfried plz read my post ok

*Deltadog*
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
* A killer little known spot for cats is Lake Pardee. Huge channels and bulls. They feed on crawdads and that lake is the cleanest of any for any distance. Every fish you catch is loaded with crawdads. Try mackerel around sunset when the water warms up. I do good around The Woodpile. All fish are from 5 to 10 lbs! Last year a guy caught a 45 lb. channel in the marina! Fillet them out, a little cornbread batter, in a fryolator, and your set!!
*P.S. Throw your mackeral sraps just off the bank and net yourself some crawdads (or use a trap) for bait while you are sitting around waiting for a bite.
*Dog

nhbfishin
04-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Ive cleaned hundreds of catfish and never used a nail. I just cut a ring around the neck put my finger through the mouth and out the gill and pull the skin down with a pair of pliers. Then I cut the head and pull the guts out. Whatever you methed it is a pain. My new method is catch the fish. Take them to my aunts. Come back the next day for a fish fry.

fish_feeder32
04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I catch cat fish all over but i think the cooler and more cleaner lakes like pardee do not have the muddy taste problem as bad as the lakes that stay warmer most of the year or have cloudy water most of the year. I like to stuff them with stove top stuffing and bake them.