PDA

View Full Version : sacramento area kitty spots

13yosacramentofshr
03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
i need to know some areas in the sacramento area the limit is 1 hour 30 mins away anywere will do i know areas such as port of sacramento discovery park but i want to try out new ones this summer thank you :)

AllFishNoWork
03-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I haven't been catfishing in these spots in awhile but I have had good luck at Mather Lake, Gibson Ranch and Folsom Lake.

Smeja
03-21-2006, 05:05 PM
under the freeport birdge CAN be good but most of the catfish I catch there are on the small size. Move up to the courtland bridge (the first bridge after the freeport birdge, stands out as its an ugly yellow color). near that bridge I've caught some pretty decent cats. If you can hang with the snags then merrits can be good mid july. All 3 of those spots are pretty close to eachother and each worth checkin out if you havent already.

Where else? Millerpark can be great another few months. So can near the airport off the sac river theres a bunch of spots back there to fish.

The list goes on. Cats can pretty much be found anywhere where there is water.

Catching the big ones... Well I cant just give those spots away but will say they are a dime a dozen. This is one of about 20 catfish this size I caught in 2005.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1233/06040500469cq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Smeja
03-21-2006, 05:11 PM
ya there is some MONSTERS at gibson ranch, I've spent coutless nights out there. Its not exactly incouraged to fish there at night but just pick up your trash and run if you see anybody coming theres always people fishing there at night (i guess this is bad advice). I've talked to the people that run the place one guy told me to fish there all I want at night just dont let him see me there. He said the only reason its closed at night is cause of their insurnace on the place. Theres also some 50+ pound carp in there. Lots of huge carp in there.

With all the spots I named and gibson ranch and just about everywhere WAIT for awhile before you go out. June is usually the best month for catfush in this area. May can be killer around the port

kn6xu
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1233/06040500469cq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Nice cat Smeja!

FishFry

fredthaface
03-24-2006, 03:51 PM
good to know about gibson ranch it's only like 5 minutes away from my girlfriends house...cattin n carpin sounds like a good sunday

Smeja
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
good to know about gibson ranch it's only like 5 minutes away from my girlfriends house...cattin n carpin sounds like a good sunday

If you learn how to catch them let me know. I never seem to have any luck with carp. I see plunty of them but sure dont catch any. Every once in awhile on accident in a creek or river but never when I'm trying to catch them.

Smeja
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
thanks fishfry

WAsB16a
03-29-2006, 12:33 AM
I haven't been catfishing in these spots in awhile but I have had good luck at Mather Lake, Gibson Ranch and Folsom Lake.
what do you catch at mather? just bought me a pontoon and would like to go out to mather and try it out.

Trout_Terminator
03-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Where do you guys use to catch the cats in gibson, when i went there i got the big Skunk... do you think the bluegills there would be good bait?

Americansteel
03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
when i was younger( thats scary to think) i would fish gibson ranch everyday with my dad.. and we would always catch fish, but i went once like 5 yrs ago and got SKUNKED!

Smeja
03-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Where do you guys use to catch the cats in gibson, when i went there i got the big Skunk... do you think the bluegills there would be good bait?

Mid june/July/Aug. AT NIGHT! Chicken liver. Shrimp dipped in chicken liver is probably the best bait there. Worms work fine too. No weights. Just a hook.

Plunty of 20+ pound cats to be caught in there. I release those so i know their still in there

appleinorange
03-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Homemade doughballs or home dug worms are good for carp. Duck or chicken guts, bluegill alive or dead,whole or half, and also home dug worms for cats. works for me. ;)

fishn4me
04-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Add strawberry jello to your chicken liver a couple days before you go out, make sure to stir it now and then. It helps make the liver thicker and stays on your hook, the kitties seem to love the strawberry too. Make sure you use latex gloves when putting the liver on unless you like having bloody red hands ( oh yeah it dyes your hands)

Trout_Terminator
04-04-2006, 03:35 PM
any of you guys tried to fish amador for cats? wonder if they hit at all?
but no weight, and just throw out a worm eh? could i use like a sliding sinker rig? and do you sink them off the bottom, or do you guys just float em? cause gibsons ranch is dirty ;D. thanks for the help and advise,

-TT

Smeja
04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Ya amador can be great for catfish. There was a few catfish over 20 pounds pulled out last year. Worm and a hook often work wonders there. Also chicken liver and hook. You can use the sliding sinker if you wanna put a weight on and get as far out as possible.

Its got to be pretty hot for things to start picking up at amador. Its more of a june,july,aug place well some lakes start getting good in april/may seems like it takes a bit longer for the bite to pick up at amador. I'm sure even when its just 80 degress theres some cats to be caught there. I wait for it to be pretty freakn hot to hit that lake. 3 or 4 100 degree days in a row.

Enough of the sniffers frequent amador theres almost always a report as soon as the cats start biting

Wolf74
04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Those are the nights I bring my lawn chair and a sixpack and just listen to the radio or shoot the chit the whole night. Good times.