PDA

View Full Version : Collins 6 pounder with picture 3/11

Hopsmacker
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry for the late report, but this is worth the wait. *I didnít catch this monster, nor was I there at the time, but my brother Perry was camping at Collins Lake a couple weekends ago & had the pleasure of crossing paths with this 6-pound beauty. *Because Perry is not an official Sniffer YET ;), I am posting this for him, however the following story is in his own words.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/524/ShowLetter_1_.jpg

Hello, on the Saturday before last, 3/11, I was fishing at lake Collins and as you can see from the photo, had some luck with this 26", 6lbs catfish, but thatís not the whole story. *I would love to tell you that this was an epic struggle between man and beast and that I skillfully battled this monster from the deep dark waters with a small trout rod with 4lbs test line, but I can't fib to my fellow anglers, so this is how it went.

I was just about to turn in for the night around 11:00pm when I was faced with that question that all fisherman have struggled with at least once, should I leave my pole out all night and if I do, should I tie it up, just in case the big one comes along in the middle of the night, well I did both of those things and I'm sure glad I did.

I got up around 2:30am to take care of some business and check my pole at the same time. I shined the flashlight down the 30ft pathway to the waters edge where I had left my pole and it was gone!:o *Right about then my pulse began to quicken as I searched the surrounding area with the light, but no luck, so I ran down the trail in my flip-flops and pj's like a 10-year-old boy on Christmas morning. When I reached the water I found my pole about 3ft out, completely submerged and luckily still tied up to the tree I had anchored it to a few hours earlier. *I gave it a good tug and reeled in a large and very tired catfish with my 10ft bay rod and 50 lbs test line. * * *

You know what they say, just because youíre sleeping, doesnít mean you have to stop fishing.
Oh yeah, I was fishing from the campground & using night crawlers.
She was set free to fight another day.

Perry

gopedxr
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I like the Report! What a pleasent suprise to see your pole out 3ft in the water haha. I gotta get out ther and try this place..

Is there a few camping places to camp on the shore and fish along to?

Thanks for the good reading!

panfish_popper
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Nice Catfish!! I also enjoyed the report/story

AllFishNoWork
03-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks for sharing. You're not a true catfisherman untill you've chased your pole down the banks at least once in your underpants. [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=happy.gif]

Steve_M
03-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Great story. :) But I think you'll get a fine for leaving your pole unattened. :-/ Not that I have never done it. ;)

Trout_Shark
03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice report...I landed a 8lber last summer troling a firetiger rap. It was crazy on 6lb test. I had no clue they would be that agressive, I guess if you get the right scent they will want it.... Why didn't you have two poles out there? Land any trout?

Diego916
03-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Amazing. When I was at Collins on Saturday the water temp was 48 degrees. I didn't know channel cats were active below 50 degrees. Thanks for the pic!

MB_Kevin
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Great story. :) But I think you'll get a fine for leaving your pole unattened. :-/ Not that I have never done it. ;)
Is it considered unattended when you are asleep in your tent and your pole is out ::)

HollyWentFishin
03-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Not if you take it in your tent with you! ;D