PDA

View Full Version : New to Fish Sniffer & Fishing

dr_ctc
02-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi, I just moved to the Modesto area, and i'm looking for some really good fishing spots out this way, if you know of any good ones, please let me know.

A little about me, i'm 30, married, I normally fish in Tracy at Whiskey Slough (thats all I really know of). The best baits i've used were chicken livers, clams, worms, and shad/dead fish. I'm not the best fisherman in the world, but I love the sport and eager to learn. I mainly fish of the bank, for catfish, blugills, or whatevers biting. I joined this site to learn how to fish better, to find better places to fish at.

I welcome all tips and tricks, and who knows, maybe I could meet some new friends here also.

Diego916
02-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the boards! Well, I'm northeast of Sacramento but I do fish the delta near Rio Vista. Lots of bait and tackle places around there can help you out with finding spots to bank it. Lake Amador is a good bet, too. Sounds like you know your baits. I'm a huge fan of the lowly night crawler myself ;)

dr_ctc
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey thanks Diego, where is Rio vista and Lake Amador, and is the good fishing there? I know my bait pretty well, but I must be doing something wrong because, the biggest fish I ever caught was a 3-5 lb catfish, but like I said, I love to fish.

Diego916
02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Check out this book out. I would suggest it to anyone who likes to catfish ;) https://store.primediamags.com/shop/in-fisherman/viewProduct/sa_id/33/pm_id/3698/offer_id/

Rio Vista is pretty close to Modesto. Its along the east sacramento river delta, south of Isleton. Check out Bob's Bait: http://themasterbaiter.tripod.com/ There are many places to fish and species to fish for in the area. Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=modesto,+ca&daddr=rio+vista,+ ca&ll=37.900865,-121.349487&spn=0.975262,1.851196

Lake Amador is a great fishing lake up near Jackson. Many big cats get caught there, and its a great trout lake, too. The guys on the trout board can fill you in on the rest. Here's a map: http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/amador.html

crazy4fishing
02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Welcome dr_ctc. You'll find great information on this board. I am fairly new to Fishsniffer also. What part of Modesto are you from? Maybe we can get together & go fishing sometime. I live in Fremont but my family is in Modesto area, so I visit as often as I can. And when I do, I usually have my fishing poles with me. Hit me up.

fishrman4life
02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I love Amador for just about anything. Cats are a good bet there during the summer.

Hit some of the guys on the sturgeon board up and maybe they'll take ya out for your first dino.

For cats, anywhere on the Sac is good, but there are a few good sloughs that really produce good cats.

pawsnazzy
03-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Welcome,
One place to try that is close to you is Durham Ferry State Park. My family have had some good times camping & fishing there. It can get windy in the afternoon tho.
To get there you take 132 west and after you cross the river turn right on Kasson Rd. (J3) You head north about 4 miles or so and you will come to "San Joaquin City", Turn right and you will cross over the river again, and that is ( J3 ) Airport Way. It's a little ways down on your left.
It was on the Honor System last time I was there. Put your money in the envelope and drop it in the box.
You park in the back and walk over the levee to the river. We've had lots of fun there and caught lots of fish.
Another place to try is Caswell Memorial State Park, It's on Austin Rd. That is my Brothers fav. spot.

pontoon_crew
03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Just drive west on 132 there nice cats all over that way,the San Joaquin is loaded with em

FishnRN
03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Just drive west on 132 there nice cats all over that way,the San Joaquin is loaded with em

Like Bubba says, "theys' catfish all in these waters round hea'"
I myself have heard good things about New Melones, so I'm going to start trying it out, less that an hour drive for us. I'm in Ripon by the way, your neighbor to the north.
-Ben