PDA

View Full Version : Vasona and los gatos creek

Bran_Sunwolf
02-26-2006, 04:15 PM
The state keeps saying there are nice cats in Lake vasona and los Gatos creek, but I have yet to see one.. anyone get any out of there?

ken_fishnfool
02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
We used to get easy limits starting in April and thru the summer. What bait you used was key. I threw spanish mackeral chunks with no wieght from the point just south of the marina docks at Vasona. I would get there early and set up on the bench right on the end of the point.
You have to reach the channel for a hot bite (bite every 15 minutes or so) which is about 80-120 feet out. That whole area under the power lines can be good. Later, after May, I would fish on the other side where the bike trail is. Anywhere there is shade on that side can have cats. That side I got them only 10-30 feet out. Right on the edge of the shade from the trees.
There is a lot of fall-downs on that side so I used 10 pound test and still lost a few to snags.
They usually ran from pounders up to 6 or 7 pounds, but I have seen a few to 15 pounds come out of there. Our usual limit was 15 to 20 pounds for five fish total.
Anchovy and shrimp and liver also work but not as well. ;)
We picked up one now and then from where the creek mouth opens up also.

Good luck!