PDA

View Full Version : MELONES CATFISH

FF_MYRL
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know when the catfishing gets good at melones? and what area's to try and fish?

I live 20 mi. from the lake, and have never fished for cats there before. I will be fishing from a boat. any advice would be great.

thank you.

ken_fishnfool
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Believe it or not... Most of the really big cats come in between Thanksgiving and Easter. I've caught them year round in Melones, you just have to put in the time.
The Tuttletown boat ramp area is usually the hot spot on the lake. The old 49 ramp can also be real good in late winter/early spring. My best summer cats come in around Angels Creek and Glory Hole point areas (depending on water levels). Of coarse the best fishing is at night using anchovies or mackeral but we've caught them on all the traditional baits (even trout power bait). The medium sized ones eat mostly crawdads and shad and the big ones dine on planter trout.
These areas were ares I always fished from shore, as I don't have a boat. Right now I would suggest any cove where some freshet is running in cloudy water, or anchoring near the place a recent trout plant has been dumped. (When I say BIG cats I mean 20 to 35 pounds!)

Go and get 'em and good luck! ;D