PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your catfish??

Slim
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM
1.What time of the year do the cats move in to spawn?
2. Aren't cats very aggressive towards anything that comes near their nest?? ((best time for Noodling?))
3. What kind of area do Cats like to spawn? Rocks? Grass? Sandy bottom? Shallows? Etc...
4.Where do they like to hang during other time of the year?

Just Curious

Slim

Diego916
01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not telling ;)

Know_Excuses
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
I have no clue.Other than they are easy to catch in the summer.Are you sure they spawn :P :P

fishrman4life
01-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Usually in coves in the summer, deep in the winter, they spawn in the spring from what I've seen, and fall they are still fairly shallow.

kn6xu
01-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey Slim. You mentioned "noodling", I found this link you might enjoy:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5147588904853938607&q=catfish

FishFry

ken_fishnfool
01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
All I know is some are deep right now and some are at the mouths of flowing creeks and hungry for nightcrawlers, right now!

timetofish
01-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I've witnessed some catfish spawning in San Pablo Res in April-May...and in Berryessa March-April.

knotgillty
01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Blues, Flatheads, bullheads, etc. may have different spawning habits. *The following info relates to Channel Cats.

1.What time of the year do the cats move in to spawn?
Water temps play a critical role. *Channel Cats spawn when the water temps are between 75 & 85 degrees with the low to mid part of that range being optimum. *

2. Aren't cats very aggressive towards anything that comes near their nest?? ((best time for Noodling?))
Yes. *The males protect the nest against any intruders until the fry leave the nest. *The females lay their eggs, say goodbye, and ride off into the sunset. *They leave the male with the child rearing job. * *

3. What kind of area do Cats like to spawn? Rocks? Grass? Sandy bottom? Shallows? Etc...
Channel cats are typically cavity spawners and prefer to spawn in secluded semi-dark areas. *Some areas of consideration would be places such as holes in the bank, hollow logs, log jams, rip rap or rocky areas, undercut banks, and the like. *

4.Where do they like to hang during other time of the year?

Dude, that is a huge question with lots of answers. *In lakes, during the day, they often prefer deeper areas where the protection of logs and rocks can be found. *Movement seems to increase just after sunset. *Young fish tend to move more extensively than larger fish. *Large expansive flats can be productive. *So can creek channels. *Use a topo map to explore your favorite lake for likely holding spots. *

KG

JIM_D.
01-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Spawning Habits - Spawning occurs mostly in rivers and streams in the spring and early summer when waters warm to 70 to 85 degrees. They also will spawn in larger lakes where suitable habitat is available. Eggs are deposited in nests secluded under banks or logs or over open bottom. The male selects the site, often a natural cavern or hole, clears the nest and guards the eggs and young. A female may lay 2,000 to 21,000 eggs that hatch in six to 10 days depending on water temperature. Males protect the fry until they leave the nest in about a week.

Slim
01-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Slim. You mentioned "noodling", I found this link you might enjoy:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5147588904853938607&q=catfish

FishFry
Noodling:
Some lakes reports Cats as large as cars, (One picture comes to mind of a cat caught in lake Texaomah (SP?)2 guys had to hold it, it was so big!!) Anyway, It makes one think twice about swimming in waters having such large cats. One day I like to try noodling. I knoticed the guys in the video has gloves on!!! ;)

Slim

fishrman4life
01-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Noodling:
Some lakes reports Cats as large as cars, (One picture comes to mind of a cat caught in lake Texaomah (SP?)2 guys had to hold it, it was so big!!) Anyway, It makes one think twice about swimming in waters having such large cats. One day I like to try noodling. I knoticed the guys in the video has gloves on!!! ;)

Slim

For good reason too. There are some beavers and things like that, they bite and when they do, you can lose a finger. Snakes are also a danger.

Erreck
01-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Just to throw it out there-

Noodling is illegal in California. So, you fellow Ca. guys keep that in mind if you were thinking of trying this.

Slim
01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Just to throw it out there-

Noodling is illegal in California. So, you fellow Ca. guys keep that in mind if you were thinking of trying this.

I would have checked up on it before I ever tried it. But thanks for the heads up.

:)
Slim

Know_Excuses
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Noodling:

Slim

Is this the Pic??

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9655/untitled7fb1.png

kn6xu
01-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Is this the Pic??

Dang Know_Excuses!!! Where/when was that caught??

FishFry

fishrman4life
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM
And Know_Excuses of course says thats him in that picture....;D ;D ;D

I belive that is the picture of a very large flathead cat taken out of the Mississippi. Believe it or not, they get even bigger than that!

knotgillty
01-31-2006, 11:53 AM
I belive that is the picture of a very large flathead cat taken out of the Mississippi. Believe it or not, they get even bigger than that!

The pic is real, the story is bogus. The photo was taken out of context from a French website devoted to catfish and circulated with a fictional explanation. The fish was not caught in Texas. In fact, it wasn't even caught in the U.S.
http://xvella.free.fr/photos/photo-eng.php?size=1&sub=21&idx=713&cntp=6

You can also check out the real story on Snopes
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/catfish.asp

The giant cat in the pics above is a Wels cat (not a flathead or blue). Wels cats can be identified by their elongated anal fin & tail which are almost eel like. They get very large and bigger specimens have been caught with rod and reel.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
crazy

Know_Excuses
01-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey thanks knotgillty.I did not know that I always thought it was out of texas ;D

Slim
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
WOW... After 3-4 years of believing it came out of Texas... Learn something new every day.

Thanks...

Still, I hear rumors of big cats in Pedro and or Melones that might be that big.... "Rumors", I say....

Slim

Slim
01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Is this the Pic??

That's the pic....

fishrman4life
02-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Gotcha....ooops, lol.

If it was possible to do a search based on a picture, that would not have come from me, lol.

Where ever that is, I wanna go there with my sturgeon gear to test the limits, LOL. Wels cats...never knew them to be a species in and of themselves. It looks like a flat from the head down to near the tail, but after that, it looks like a mutant. The only species that grows much larger than that comes out of Asia, and most have seen the picture of the giant are available if u do a search on the "Giant Catfish".

JIM_D.
02-01-2006, 09:17 AM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/noodling.asp Try this site for noodling pics. JIM D.

mike22ca
02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I figured that was a Wells due to the tail fin. I didnt believe it was from the US either...those dudes are way to fruity lookin lol

Slim
02-01-2006, 05:15 PM
*I didnt believe it was from the US either...those dudes are way to fruity lookin lol

LOL Really. ;D

MB_Kevin
02-05-2006, 11:13 PM
If I was catching that out of the lake I would have to let it go before I got it in. My daughter would never swim in it after seeing that.

Oh who am I kidding she would have to learn to swim in a pool that fish is too cool. Reminds me of one me and panfish popper seen swim by at night in berryessa. We had the light out and a cat the size of the boat swam by :o