PDA

View Full Version : Flathead caught in the delta mendota Monday night

daystarchis
08-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey guys... A friend of mine caught a 6# flatty on fresh fellet shad. Didn't believe em, so went to his house at 5am Wed to see it. Not a bullhead. a flatty. Wonder how many more are out there????

Robb

Erreck
08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Did you, or he, get a picture of it?

It'd be pretty cool to see it.

AllFishNoWork
08-18-2005, 10:39 AM
hmmmm :-/

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 11:39 AM
:P :P :P :P :P

2QUARTSLOW
08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Fished california for years never seen a flathead in this region, not in the delta system, I second a pic to see.

daystarchis
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Yep there was pictures. He has to go to rite aid to put them on a disk. Downloading problems with his camera. I will need some help to post them. Tried posting pictures on this list several times. Need some pointers. Funny though how some folks get all skeptical. What are the odds of a picture? I hope you are not a betting man wading2fish. Do you guys always ask for pictures from members the way ya'll do? It appears in a suttle way of calling someone a liar. Go to Brotherhood of catfishing, and you can see all the fish I catch. Several member of sniffer fish with me. I have no reason to lie. I am thick skinned, but I would add that this is a way to turn new members off. Erreck was nice about asking for a picture and I appreciate it Erreck, but wading2fish and 2QUARTSLOW are a little snide in there approach. Pretty dissapointing to say the least.
So someone tell me how to post a pict so these two gentlemen can shut there mouths. :P

Robb

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 04:50 PM

daystarchis
08-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Here is your post...

What are the odds you got a pic?

A picture is worth a thousand words..............

Here is my quote:
It appears in a suttle way of calling someone a liar.
I said suttle..... Now tell me how to post the pict so I can post it.
You can ask... But the way you word you above quote...
i said it APPEARS that you insinuate I am lieing. I am not worried about my feelings. Like I said, I am thick skined. I am concerned about new members. Their feelings can get hurt. Now let me call my buddy and I will post a pict. I have fished my river as well and never ever caught a sturgie, but last year, I seen a small sturgie caught. I would have not told some one about a pic as you did nor do I think I know everything about my waters I fish.

Robb

vini-v
08-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Robb from the *disc they have to be saved to the computer, once the disc is in you're DVD slot open them in MY COMPUTER then (devices and removable storage) you should see them there once that is opened and then save them to somewhere that they can be found easily, open a folder called "fishing pictures" in my documents is what i do. If you need any help call me up i'm home evenings at you're service.

daystarchis
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Vince,
I didn't know how to post them from the PC to this post, but I have a link now. I looked up the "how to".

SO here ya'll go doubting thomases....
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=524

Isure hope some one will eat their words ;D

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 06:48 PM

duckhunter916
08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
that looks like a flathead to me

i wonder if thats a california record?

vini-v
08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll post them for all to see,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/jimsflatty1.jpg

I lightened this one for better viewing,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/jimsflatty2.jpg

vini-v
08-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey Vince,
I didn't know how to post them from the PC to this post, but I have a link now. I looked up the "how to".

SO here ya'll go doubting thomases....
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=524

Isure hope some one will eat their words ;D

You have to save the picture on you're computer then just load it to a picture host like photobucket, then use the insert image to post it here, which is the little box above with the picture frame in the window, i'll teacha Bro and let the bickerin go men.

Diego916
08-18-2005, 07:27 PM
That is a flathead! Very cool! :D

daystarchis
08-18-2005, 07:28 PM
If ya'll know Jim, he loves to BS... So yes, I had to see with my own eyes. He is a buddy that that loves to pull legs. I guess I am done with sniffer for a while. This is why I love BOC. Were all brothers that respect each other. That said, I'm done.

Robb

fishinjunkie
08-18-2005, 07:36 PM
ah come on rob. ur a great contributor. stay and keep those mendota slough post comin. even though i cant go they still make crave for catfishin. 8) im sure no one ment no harm here.
fishinjunkie

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 08:04 PM

fishrman4life
08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
a flatty is a pretty rare occurence in this area. i dont see a problem with them askin you if you had proof. it could be a california record...look around for it...if u got the corpse then you may have the record

fishinjunkie
08-18-2005, 08:45 PM
i want u to know im not saying u said anyhting wrong it was meant towards robb. but to tell u the truth, did u get a pic phrase is used alot and sometimes i dont post my big fish because i dont have the pic to back it up. it almost seems to say do u gotta a pic ment how do we know ur not lying. i am not saying u did though.
fishinjunkie

2QUARTSLOW
08-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeap looks like a flathead to me too.

Daystarchis, if I sounds a little harsh maybe. Still didnt believe it until I saw the pic. Now, the question is was is planted here. Flathead are agressive eaters, and can survive in warmer type water.

Maybe DFG should get an e-mail about it with some pics.

About my harsh reaction, ive fished the delta for over 25 years, been on the boards here for almost 2 years and had a few rough disscussions with members so sorry I rubbed ya the wrong way.

2 quarts low

JIM_D.
08-19-2005, 04:45 AM
There are going to be skeptic people everywhere you go, I'm one of them myself. I don't always believe everything I hear. I don't post pictures because I just don't know how so if a person chooses not to believe me that is up to them. I just heard that there are blue cats in Folsom Lake, very skeptical about that. JIM D.

vini-v
08-19-2005, 06:16 AM
comeon Robb don't sweat the petty stuff pet the sweaty stuff LOL.

you know how we are, skeptics all of us, i still want to see thoughs pics of you and brians trip ;D

remember how i told you i was begining to wonder about the mendotta, YEAH till i hooked that big fat monster, the first one that i lost at the bank because you were over takin a carp in the weeds and i had no net LOLLOLLMAO just teasin ;)

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Here is the problems I have.

A new member comes along and states he caught this or that....
Now you ask him or her "can't wait to see a pic". or something to that nature. Not the way it was asked.

What are the odds you got a pic?

A picture is worth a thousand words..............

Everyone knows this is a sneaky way of saying..."Sure you did". Instead of being man enough to say it, it is worded this way.

What is Robb all about??? I want to see our sport flourish. How will it flourish? Fishsniffer is a great example. Some come along to pick up info, some come here cause they have no fishing partner, some come here to BS and to help others out with the knowledge they have. If I was a new member, I would almost be afraid to post what I caught without some member saying "A picture is worth a thousand words....."
What in the statement is wrong or not appropriate? Simple... It could often shut down the communication with fear of being made to look like a liar if someone does not have a picture... Simple! Then eventually this person that is new will say forget those dudes. In stead of nuturing a new angle, we just shut him or her down. This is why I stated my post the way I did. I want to see our sport flourish. In the age we live in and all the access to the water closeing here in Cali, we need to be proactive and help build new anglers...not chase them away. ENOUGH SAID...
I appreciate the several appologies and this show the integrety and maturity of these members. I HOPE WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM THIS. We need to be more sensitive to our post...PERIOD! I could care less if you have been a member since the conception or fished every bit of water from the orgon border to the Mexico border. We all...Including myself have not stopped learning. Show me someone that will not learn anymore or that is open to new ideas, and I will show you a ignorant person. You will find that I say it like it is, and if at all possible, to your face. I won't sugar coat it. It is often said about me, that I make statements that some only think about saying. Lastly, Lets all learn from this (including me) so we can welcome these new or retuning to the sport.

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 06:33 AM
ROFLOL!!!!! Dude that was funny. Thank you for making me laugh! I am not concerned about me in general. Heck, I go over to the other fishing sites and it's all good. I want to see our sport flourish... especially catfishing. I guess I should change my name to CATMAN!!!! Leaping deragtory post in a single bound! Fighting in the night for the lil cat angler that is being oppressed..lol! OK OK OK I am not there guardian. I will stop now. But dude, Can I have some orange tights that has a CM on the front and a cape that goes....Swooosh! My tools will be a jar of sonny's and and a dip worm. I will be able to fling it with my super catman strength even throuh the internet and slap some silly person upside the head. LOL. Oh... And with a large section of toilet paper hanging from my tight speedos.
OH GOD DO I WANT TO BE CATMAN!!!!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!! I got to stop. I am crying.

Robb

eatonroadkil
08-19-2005, 07:39 AM
I've heard stories of this "CATMAN" helping struggling catfishers,but I am very skeptical.It sure would be nice if someone can catch this guy in the act.Anyone out there have a pic?Cmon the guy puts you on some nice cats and you don't even get a picture with him in his orange tights and all?I guess he probobly just moves to fast....typical super hero.I guess I'll just have to wait for the movie to see this guy in action.

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 07:50 AM
ROFLOL ;D Hey eatonroadkil.... You know a picture is worth a thousand words. lol!

Robb
AKA
CATMAN

BassFooler
08-19-2005, 08:41 AM
You are out on the water and you catch a lunker- sniffer passes you on the water asking how you did- first thought? Show the asker the hawg!...but if you say I have a puffer fish that I just pulled out, from say, Collins lake, you think its not going to raise eyebrows? Everybody wants to see everybody elses fish- big or small- its part of the sport and the comeraderie that goes along with it-
and lets admit- theres a reason they are called fish-tales. ;D

wading2fish
08-19-2005, 08:44 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rusty_Hooks
08-19-2005, 09:13 AM
A couple of things to keep in mind here...

1. Anyone who has been around the canal knows it's fenced

2. The reason it's fenced is...its dangerous...and alot of fishermen and their kids have lost their lives there.

The banks are constructed for carrying water..lots of water

they're not made for climbing sooo....if you fall in or if your kids fall in...god forbid....you need to know this

Float downstream with the current....there are ladders...periodically cast into the concrete bank

DO NOT TRY TO SWIM AGAINST THE CURRENT....

There are lots of big cats in the canal...we were catching them in 1957, but you need honking weights to get them

Safety first if you go out there....don't take little kids

Too many kids have bittten the big one out there!!

If you go at night and you must drink....wear an inflatable

If...you should happen to get into the water......don't fight it....you may have to walk a ways to get back, but there is a way out.....downstream!!

Good luck.... ;)

FisHiNg_LeGeNd
08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
This is rediculous two grown men argueing over some words on the internet WOW!!!!! Grow up and just squash all the BS its gettin old....

D_LOWE

BassFooler
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
This is rediculous two grown men argueing over some words on the internet WOW!!!!! Grow up and just squash all the BS its gettin old....

D_LOWE

Yeah!!! What HE ^ said!!

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Can I still be CATMAN? lol! I am over it. I said my peace and I proved my point. I also provided the picts.

Robb

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Great post Rusty_Hooks!!! Just in time to to change the subject. The main reason I do not like to fish the duct or the delta mendota isfor the mentioned reason. This advice can save someones life. Again...Great post!!!!

Robb

BassFooler
08-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Can I still be CATMAN? lol! I am over it. I said my peace and I proved my point. I also provided the picts.

Robb

If you become Catman, are you gonna wear one of those cool superhero masks, but with barbels?... and if so..can we get a pic? LOL ;D ;D

daystarchis
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
The MASK!!!! I forgot! Yes sir, you can take pics. REMEMBER! A picture is worth a thousand word ;D

robb

BassFooler
08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Alright alright- it appears that everybody has their panties unbunched, so can we get back to fishin? Purty pleeease with sardines on top?

vini-v
08-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Welp i took out a older gentlemen out fishing last night, guy who's lived here in Fresno 50 + years and never went fishing in Mendota sleugh, he had the best time ever.

No fish last night but he loved just getting out, we shot the bull and met a couple of other younger guys fishing just a little way down stream it was there first time there also and they did land one really nice cat .

I left them the bait we had'nt used because they were going to stay the whole night, they were getting ready to leave just before we got there but i told them the bite does'nt start till around 10:00 at 10:15 they cought the fish ;D

NO bugs, cooler weather, full moon out it was cool...

NapaValleyLiveBait
11-29-2005, 09:25 AM
man everyones so touchy....come on we all have our "FISH" stories.... ;D

I had never seen a flat head, till last week when we were fishing in the Napa River......we were fishing with Anchovies and pulled in a 15-16" Cat...look unfamiliar to me because of the huge head but now I know what it was after seeing those pics...

Any one know where the cat hang out in the Napa river?

CenCoast_Angler
11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
That is a pretty big Brown Bullhead. Possibly a state record. I've caught some bullhead that looked like flathead catfish due to their grotesquely large noggin and comparably small, emaciated body. However, I don't have any pics.
If there really are some flathead catfish reproducing in the delta then the other species are going to have a problem soon. Flathead are very aggressive and territorial fish. Although ... I wouldn't be that surprised if some dumbass planted a couple or tossed out some that grew too big for the aquarium. THAT would suck!
Next thing you know, someone will catch a northern pike from a high sierra lake. Oh, wait...that HAS happened already. People are stupid.
Just being a jerk....
(-:
PK

deltaboats
11-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Two weeks ago I saw a fellow who had a 78 Lb. blue catfish caught in the delta. He wanted it to be a channel, it would have been a record. But it was determnined to be a blue. I think what you have is a large bullhead. Flatheads are in the Colorado River and if one is up here it is because someone transplanted him. Unless a DFG biologist told you it was a Flathead i would not believe it is. My question to you is what makes you qualified to determine it is a Flathead and what Identification criteria did you use to make this determination? A photo proves nothing. And I am not calling you a liar I am simply stating that I think you are mistaken.

ken_fishnfool
11-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I might be mistaken also but I caught and then witnessed caught what I thought were flathead cats at New Melones a few years back. They were *5 and *9 pounds and were way too big to be bullheads. After showing a few locals we ended up thinking they might have been native to the river before the dam was built and doing their thing in the lake.

I didn't take DNA samples or do any research and my fishing buddy has the pic's. But I did look in a book and they looked a lot like flatheads.

I thought I remembered that some river systems in CA had flatheads native to them. ???
If they were in the Stanislaus they might probably would be in the Delta too.

Oh yah... geez you guys... you sure make this forum entertaining...I didn't mean to hijack the thread...back. :P :-X :-[ ::) ;D

vini-v
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
If there in the colorado they could have found there way down stream into our rivers since they were introduced there in Yuma in 1962 comeon!!

The flat head has a definite taper to the head and is broad and flat compared to other catfish and unlike a bullhead.

The original poster has seen probably thousands of bullheads in his years of fishing i'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about and those are pretty good pictures taken i've gone and looked at other pics of flatheads and they seem to be very very similiar.

Diego916
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Brown bullhead? Not even close. Notice the pectoral fins of the flathead. Bullheads have pectorals similar to a channel.

reddhedd
11-30-2005, 07:50 PM
It looks like 72lb 14 oz is the CA state record. Landed in '03 on the Colorado river.

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=11

Trout_Terminator
11-30-2005, 08:37 PM
looks like some one squashed that fishes head! plus it green, MABEY A HYBRID! but why are flat heads so rare in cali? and blues?

Diego916
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Good question. Personally, I don't think they've had enough time to establish themselves, but who knows?

CenCoast_Angler
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Flathead are not native to California and have never been planted anywhere other than the colorado river. Planted legally, of course. Like I said, some jerk might have planted some flathead---but not legally.
Here is a pic of a brown bullhead.

http://www.fosc.org/Images/Fish/large/13.brown_bullhead.jpg

The world record is 6 lbs---much larger than the one caught in the delta---so it is possibly a bullhead...or a filthy white cat with a deformed-looking head. I bet there are a lot of deformed fish (especially catfish) in the delta.

PK

Diego916
12-01-2005, 07:01 PM
From DFG http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/assets/publications/catfish.pdf

Flathead catfish were introduced into the Colorado River near Yuma in 1962
by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Young-of-the-year were captured in
the Highline Canal and several water supply ditches in Californias Imperial
Valley during early 1968. Flathead catfish have spread upstream in the
Colorado to the Blythe area and have moved throughout the Imperial Valley
canal system. In 1980, a flathead catfish was captured in the Bill Williams Arm
of Lake Havasu, San Bernardino County, 162 miles upstream of the original
introduction site.

Hmmm...l980? Been almost 30 years since they were found in San Bernardino county. I wonder if they could have made it here by now?

Also, use the link up above and check out the picture of the brown bullhead they have. It looks NOTHING like a flattie.

Where did you find that pic, Cen_Coast? That pic looks like a flattie and looks nothing like the pic on DFG's site. I have a hard time believing DFG would have the wrong pic up, but its obvious one of them is wrong.

delta916
12-02-2005, 12:04 PM
[quote author=vini-v link=board=fresh_cat;num=1124379924;start=30#42 date=11/30/05 at 16:54:31]If there in the colorado they could have found there way down stream into our rivers since they were introduced there in Yuma in 1962 comeon!!

Look at a map. The Colorado River does not flow into the San Joaquin Valley. The only way that fish could be in the valley is by an illegal planting. And since there is no record of that fish in the valley I tend to believe there is no way it is a flathead. A picture proves nothing.

delta916
12-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Flathead catfish were introduced into the Colorado River near Yuma in 1962
by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Young-of-the-year were captured in
the Highline Canal and several water supply ditches in Californias Imperial
Valley during early 1968. Flathead catfish have spread upstream in the
Colorado to the Blythe area and have moved throughout the Imperial Valley
canal system. In 1980, a flathead catfish was captured in the Bill Williams Arm
of Lake Havasu, San Bernardino County, 162 miles upstream of the original
introduction site.[/b]

Hmmm...l980? Been almost 30 years since they were found in San Bernardino county. I wonder if they could have made it here by now?

No way. Again look at a map. There are too many barriers, both natural and manmade, for a fish to migrate from San Bernadino to the central valley. There are no records of that fish being identified in the valley as well. When fish get this big theytend to look abnormal and you must rely on a key to ID them. that means counting fin rays, spines, and other very subtle markers. Or you must do DNA testing. Even an experienced biologist would not make a positive ID in the feild. Without the fish in hand and a good key there is no way to ID the fish now.

Diego916
12-02-2005, 03:57 PM
The only way that fish could be in the valley is by an illegal planting. *And since there is no record of that fish in the valley I tend to believe there is no way it is a flathead.

Well, what about Blue cats? That species is now present in the delta here in Nor Cali after being introduced into Southern Cali in the late 60s. So, why not flatties as well? Someone had to catch the first blue cat here, and I'm willing to bet MOST blues caught out of the delta are confused with channels anyway.

No one ever plants fish illegally, right? ::)

Especially in the same state...

Also Delta, haven't you heard of the aquaduct?

Even an experienced biologist would not make a positive ID in the feild.

Are you serious? ???

Look, I'm pretty sure you can look at the photo and ID the fish. Sure, it could be a mutant freak. It could be a very odd looking goldfish, too. However, what is even MORE likely is that its a flathead that has made its way a few hundred miles north, whether by planting or migration, over the last 30 years. But, I guess until someone does DNA testing on it, its probably just a strange muskrat ::)

CenCoast_Angler
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
The DFG and many counties plant blue cats practically everywhere. THAT is how they got into the delta and other nor cal lakes+rivers.
Channel cats have spots, while blue cats and white cats do not have spots.
My family has been raising commercial channel cats for over 20 years.
If you believe that is a flathead then I can also show you a picture of a freshwater lingcod I caught. Its really a sculpin...but it LOOKS like a lingcod so it must be!

Just being a jerk,
you can believe whatever you want===that is the great thing about America!

PK

Diego916
12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Sooner or later, flatties will make thier way up here. Its just a matter of time if it hasn't already happened ;)

Know_Excuses
12-02-2005, 07:57 PM
I think some one else already said it but its probably a fish that got to big for someones fish tank.I know you can get flat head cats at almost any fish store and you can get them pretty big too.I remeber years ago someone caught a Pacu in the bay.(they look like piranuas)Everyone got freaked out.Then the guy that dumped it in there confesed it was his fish that he just didnt want anymore.But it is probably is a teenage mutant ninja turtle ;D

vini-v
12-02-2005, 08:40 PM
" Caliifornias Colorado river allocation"

The Colorado River Aqueduct was built from 1933-41 at the height of the Great Depression. It was designed and built under the direction of Chief Engineer Frank E. Weymouth of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD), an organization created by state legislative decree in 1928 for the purpose of constructing this water conveyance system. MWD continues to operate the aqueduct, and was the co-sponsor of this HAER documentation project. The 242-mile long aqueduct crosses a harsh desert landscape and is a vital component in supplying Los Angeles and much of southern California with Colorado River water

More then likely the fish have'nt made there way thru the aqauduct up river to the delta more then likely it's a fish that was illegally planted as mentioned but i would'nt even be that cynical to believe it could'nt have happened SOMEHOW naturally. And Robbs been fishing a long long time on these rivers and canals, sleughs and what have ya and has seen alot of fish i'll take his word for it.

JRG
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
I'll have to see if I still have the pics but someone I know with a pond up by Placerville pulled out a catfish with one of those little basketballs in his mouth. I swear it looked like a flathead. But the fish was floating around with this ball he couldn't spit out until the guy pulled him out deflated the ball and let him go. I just heard it was a catfish at the time til I saw the pics and I was like WTF, that's a flathead.... I didn't believe the pond was up in Placerville because of that either but that's where it was...

Diego916
12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
You mean this story? http://www.outdoorpressroom.com/catfish.html

JRG
12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Yep Diego, same one. I knew my girlfriend was mistaken about where it was from. She said her mom's co-worker sent the pics and they lived somewhere around placerville. I knew it couldn't have been from there. But that fish from the delta looks like a flat head to me.