PDA

View Full Version : Found a new bait for catchin' Catfish

Tredigity
10-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I found a new bait for catchin' catfish. I was wondering if anyone else has used it or had success with it.

Here's the story:
I went camping/fishing with my family to Lake Don Pedro. I heard about the big cats up there, so I bought some night crawlers (you know - the universal bait for fresh water) to catch them and some marhsmellow bait for the kids to catch some trout.
Of the 3 days we fished, I don't recall one bite on the night crawlers. However, we landed several big cats with the marshmellows. The smallest of the fish that we caught was about 13 inches, and we threw him back so he could get big like the others.
Has anyone else tried or experienced something like this, or did I really discover something new? :o
I used the multi-colored marshmellows with glitter. By the way, this will only work in calm water as swift moving water will wash the bait away.

keviwa
10-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I'll try anything that smells when fishing for cats. I've used the scented mellows that you would use to float a worm off the bottom while fishing for trout. One night I tried worms on the bottom with no luck. I know channels will often stay off the bottom when feeding, so I tried floating them with the mellows. That was the ticket that night. Noticed after a few missed hits that the worms were still there and the mellow gone. Set up with just the mellow and ended up having a very productive night. The cats seemed to like the Anise and Garlic flavored mellows. You can never tell what they will hit on...take everything that smells. Plug-n-Jug

Erreck
10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Marshmellows are one of my "if nothing else works, this will" bait. Although I've never tried using them on cats, it does not surprise me that you had success with 'em. :)

Diego916
10-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I used to fish with mallows when I was a kid and I didn't have much luck with them. But, every now and then someone using them gets into some fish. Trout, cats, bass, carp, etc. Might be worth having some around for just those occasions :)

MB_Kevin
10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
It don't surprise me at all. I never thought hot dogs would work. Maybe Ill try it some day. thanks for the report. always good to have some other tricks when nothing is biting. I have had good luck with crawlers but not all the time.
Maybe its like ants some times of the year they want protein baits and other times sugar baits. ::)

mad_riv
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
put marshmellows in parshly closed ziplockbag in refrigerator.they'll get harder after a couple of weeks and stay on the hook better.

i like using a puffball/marshmellow combo with a nightcrawler. gives me more confidents that bait is still floating and i keep it in the water longer instead of reeling up so much.

sehoner
11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
i thought he was gonna say cat poop.............remember that one guys? ;D ;D ;D

Mad_Russian
11-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah i remember ;D

fishrman4life
11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
hey that was DOG POO