PDA

View Full Version : California Aqauduct

vini-v
10-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Heres my story of this last weekend.

We tried a new spot and new water the aqauduct, first fish i caught weighed 4-1/2 pounds nice channel fat belly.

Fish #2 i hooked a huge one we think it was a striper it bent my pole nearly in two, we were on a bridge about 15 feet above the water no net to reach down unless the fish was lifted, anyhow my reel arm broke so i could hardly reel and the fish came up from the deep and jumped Robb saw it jump he had the light on it and said it was 3 feet long i was just fighting to keep the line tought and itthru the hooked.

Then fish #3, it was big i dragged it to the bank of the duct which is concrete and got it up on the side i tried getting down to it from the side of the bridge but there was sand and i started slipping so i said forget it, about that time the line broke and we watched it flip it's way back in the water that one went between 8-10 pound it was FAT as a football.

Thats my story we're definetly going back next saturday .

Wolf74
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Wow sounds like good fishing waters. I've always wanted to fish the aquaduct, but I never knew where to get access to it. On top of that I'd probibly have to drive down near the Tracy area to get to it. I always figured there was some huge cats in there.

vini-v
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
And striper, i lost a nice one.

And it aint happening again i went and bought a nice real and some firewire, they ain't getting away again.

FisHiNg_LeGeNd
10-06-2005, 04:00 PM
where is the aquaduct?...How far from sacramento?

vini-v
10-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Well it can't be too far from you according to this map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/StateProjects.jpg

The California Aqueduct is the concrete-lined aqueduct that transports water from Northern California to Southern California. It is the main water transport structure of the California State Water Project and at nearly 450 miles in length, it is the longest water channel in California. The aqueduct was built by the California Department of Water Resources. The State Water Project continues to grow, with greater capacity, storage and more branches.

It begins at the Sacramento River Delta carries water south through the Central Valley where it often parallels Interstate 5. Here, the coastal branch splits off in a southwesterly direction to serve the central coast. When it reaches Bakersfield, it then is pumped up 2,000 feet to cross the Tehachapi Mountains.

fishinduo
10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you might want to add a long handled net to your next trip also! I'd hate to fall in.. :o

Rich

Trapper43
10-08-2005, 05:46 PM
vini-v
what were you using for bait? People around here have been doing OK on chicken liver.

Wolf74
10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Yea I was afraid to fall in.

vini-v
10-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Sounds like you might want to add a long handled net to your next trip also! I'd hate to fall in.. :o

Rich

YEP thats exactly what i did i have a 22 foot extension pole i use for high gable end facia, duct taped the pole to the net and it worked out great.

We went back last saturday and this trip was'nt so good but i did catch a 7 pound channel cat fought like helcat too:).

There was a guy and his son down aways from us and my fishin partner went down and talked with them, they had a what looked to him to be a 15 pound striper and a few smaller ones all legal and also what appeared to be around a 10 pound cat, they did really well.

So heres a few pics guys and yes the aqauduct is dangerous if you fall in only way out are every 1,000 feet they have ladder handles attached to the sides so you better be able to tread water for awhile cause theres no other way out, unless someone throws you a rope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/aqauductcat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/7pounderaqauduct.jpg

Diego916
10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
A crab net will do the trick, just like fishing from a pier. Catch a biggun' from a pier, you really need a crab net to bring it up.

Nice cat ;D

vini-v
10-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Diego, The way they flop and flip around i'm not sure they might just throw themselves out of a crab net though???

It takes about 3-4 oz sinkers to keep the bait down so you can imagine the swiftness of the water and that seems to make a big difference in the strength of a fish, these fight a heck of alot harder then they do in the mendota slough.

Forgot to mention the fish have been biting more on chicken liver then anything, though we're going to try mackeral filets next time out thats what they were catching the stripers on.

mad_riv
10-25-2005, 08:00 AM
i bought a 6ft net that telescops out to 10ft. replace netting with huge deep salmon netting.makes it easy to twirl netting around handle once or twice before dragging fish up.

vini-v
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Mad that would work .

Whats nice about the extension pole i have you could be on the bank and still reach the fish it extends to 22 feet :o

striper510
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Every 1/2 mile or so there is a ladder that goes down the side to the water. you should be ok with a regular net.