PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish for Cats

h00kie
09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Anyone use crayfish for bait to catch the kitties? Any suggestions as how to do so? live vs. shell crushed?

wading2fish
09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I used em one time only on the bank where the Georgiana Slough meets up with the Mokulmne River . I had fresh live and frozen ones. I tried every way I could think of to use em, live whole, frozen whole, tail only with shell on, tail only with shell off, etc. I used the standard surf leader, then I tried a Hi-Lo rig, then a sliding sinker rig. I caught only one little cat on it. I still think they are good bait though and would probably use em again.

When I fish the Delta, my favorite bait hands down is fresh bluegill. They are fairly easy to catch and use and they are after all part of the diets of stripers and big cats. Crayfish are kinda expensive compared to live bluegill I catch. A tub or two of wax worms or mini nite crawlers is all it takes to catch bluegills and at about two bucks a tub it's not bad. Crayfish are also part of the diets of stripers and cats, but I've had the best fishing with live bluegills.

w2f

fishn4me
09-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I use them all of the time, they work great. I cut the tails off and squeeze the meat out, put the meat on a hook and its deadly on big kittys. But watch out the big bass love them too, either way they will catch you nice fish. 8)

MB_Kevin
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
HoOkie catfishing....I got to see this :P

JIM_D.
09-08-2005, 01:50 AM
I can get all the crayfish I want in a few hours, I have tried them on miner slough and at clear lake, no fish, not even a bite. Tried them all the ways W2F says. When I was on miner I swiched to sardine and caught plenty of fish, so the fish were there just didn't want crawdads that day. JIM D.

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 06:10 AM
JimD,

Hahaha, I had the same experience that day at Georgiana slough. I fished until I ran out of the crawdads, I did catch one little kitty, but that was it with the 'dads. I then switched over to clams and the bigger fish started biting, the difference was like night and day.

w2f

h00kie
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try it out when the opportunity presents itself and will post on how I did.

MB, Once before surf stripers came along, I used to fish for cats in O'neil forebay. I spent many nights there years ago when I used to work graveyard 3on/4off or 4on/3off. Besides, I can't leave all the fun for you guys ;)

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey h00kie,

Did you ever get into any stripers in O'neil Forebay? That is after all where the world record freshwater striper was caught at in 1992, the record still stands to this day. The beast weighed in at 67 lbs 8 oz :o.

w2f

h00kie
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
w2f,
I've caught my share of stripers at the forebay. Mostly fished the ckk12 area back then. Stripers in the day time & cats at night. That's where my biggest freshwater striper came out of that I estimate to be ~12#. My biggest cat too, a monster of a bullhead that took me around 15 minutes to land w/ my surf pole. I estimated that one to be in 20# range.
Gates being open and water flowing is the key for big stripers & big cats. There used to be plenty of channel cats staging at the ripraps.

JIM_D.
09-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Years ago I used to use crawdad tails for bait alot and done pretty good, just the last few times I tried them caught nothing. JIM D.

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
H00kie,
yeah that forebay does have some monsters in it. It's been awhile since I fished it. Gotta make my way back there soon. 20# cat! Holy cow that's a big cat! :o

w2f

h00kie
09-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah it was definitely a bigun. Took a fillet of mackarel that I caught in Santa Cruz. Although that cat was big, I have seen some really chart topers spawning on the mudflats in about a foot of water in the midday sun. Threw all I got at 'em but they were only interested in doing their thing.

FF408 & I will be hitting the reservoir pretty soon. Nite fishing in the middle of winter ;D

wading2fish
09-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah it was definitely a bigun. Took a fillet of mackarel that I caught in Santa Cruz. Although that cat was big, I have seen some really chart topers spawning on the mudflats in about a foot of water in the midday sun. Threw all I got at 'em but they were only interested in doing their thing.

FF408 & I will be hitting the reservoir pretty soon. Nite fishing in the middle of winter ;D

That's the main reservoir right? Banking or boating?

w2f

h00kie
09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Banking it. We had some spots last year that needs to be re-visited. When do you plan on going? Check the surf striper thread as there are discussions there about SL.

Eric_csus14
09-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I've used just the tails before, hooked a couple before but prefer other baits.

wading2fish
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I'll try to head over there sometime in the winter..Nov-Feb?

w2f